Denali Lodging

viajeros

The last piece of our late June, 2008 Alaska visit puzzle is where to stay at Denali. We will be traveling to the park by bus from Anchorage, returning to Anchorage 2 days later by the AK RR. Won't have a car. We want to stay in Glitter Gultch (not really, but it is the most practical). The hotel reviews in trip advisor are almost all uniformly bad..."rooms too small", "too noisy", "overpriced", "rude staff", "bad food". We are OK with the reality that we will pay much more to get much less than in the lower 48. The national park is why we are going, not the hotel.

Our priorities in order are as follows:

1. Clean

2. Close to Denali NP entrance

3. If needed, transportation provided to/from bus drop-off & railroad station. Close to pick up popint for park bus tours

4. On-site or nearby restaurants

5. Price

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ray

The one I stay at most often in Glitter Gulch is the Denali Bluffs - about as far from the craziness as you can get without losing the convenience of being close. Many rooms have great views over the valley and the restaurant is good and reasonably priced (by Denali standards).

Murray

We stayed at McKinley Chalet Resort on our HAL cruisetour, and I absolutely loved it. Our cabin was back off the road in the woods and you didn't see any of Glitter Gulch. But once you got the shuttle back to the main lodge, all the conveniences were within easy walking distance. I don't know about the shuttles, but I would think they could arrange transport. It was really close to everything.

It's a beautiful area. Enjoy!

If I had to select one hotel in glitter gulch, it would be Denali Bluffs. No fan of the Grande Denali since it is perched way-up-high on a hill like a fairy tale castle in a Disney movie. Extremely remote from the rest of the area as well.

Denali Princess and McKinley Chalets can be nice but are often crowded with tour groups and busses; parking can be difficult if you have a car.

The one I stay at most often in Glitter Gulch is the Denali Bluffs - about as far from the craziness as you can get without losing the convenience of being close. Many rooms have great views over the valley and the restaurant is good and reasonably priced (by Denali standards).

Murray

Thank you Yukon. You have been most helpful. First, opening our eyes to the "doability" of a rental car drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake, & now helping us make sense of the Denali hotel choices. Your comments, added to our other research, have led us to Denali Bluffs likely being the best fit for our needs...we will stay there.

Ray

Archived