Apparel etc. for visiting ruins...

spearmint

We will be on a ship's tour of Tulum when we stop in Cozumel in early December, 2007.

Besides a hat and I assume, gobs of sunscreen, what would experienced cruisers advise wearing....long sleeve/pants-----short sleeve/pants?

What about insect repellent....needed?

I presume that one should bring bottled water?

Anything else that you would recommend to take along?

Thanks. Bill

Light weight clothing. It is VERY hot and humid. We asked our rooms teward to freeze our water bottles the night before and return to us in AM. We didn't have any need for OFF.

I would take a light weight back pack--as there is a little trek and backpacks are easy.

Will you be taking the ferry first? If so--be prepared that it can be a rough ride---if aperson is prone to seasickness they will get sick on this part of the trip.

Thanks, Linda, for both of your responses. :) We take a tender first according to the information, so your heads-up might be very apt. (I assume that tender would be the same as ferry.) :eek:

We are from Constellation, so perhaps others who have done this tour will tell us how they made out.

I haven't ever done the ruins at Tulum, however I have done a variety of other ruin tours in Mexico and Belize. I never had a problem with mosquitoes etc...until this last week at Dzibilchaltun outside of Progreso. I had brought spray and left it on the ship by accident and regretted it! I had always brought it before and never needed it!

Consider also wearing appropriate footwear! This is kind of a "duh" thing to me but on my excursion there was a young lady wearing stacked heel espadrilles that were 4 inches high if they were an inch. They laced up her legs, too. I can't imagine that was very comfortable! LOL Personally I have found tennis shoes to be very hot. Especially with socks. I wear open toed shoes most of the time and so this may not be an issue for you, though. I have a good pair of water shoes with rugged soles and they are open enough to not suffocate my feet.

And definitely water! But I don't think long pants are a necessity unless that's what you prefer to wear. I often wear shorts. And short sleeves are fine if you put sunscreen on!

Hope you have a great time!

I want to second the comment about appropriate footwear. You will be doing a lot of walking on uneven ground, so proper walking shoes are a must.

Also, if you like the water, be sure to bring your swimsuit (just wear it under a cover up or some shorts) so you can dip into the beautiful Caribbean waters below the ruins. There are some steep steps that take you down to the water, and you will see a lot of people dipping in. It gets so hot after walking through those ruins that you will likely want to hop in. Just be prepared with proper clothing for it!

Archived