Carnival Triump 9/8/07 Review

travelbug15

We just returned from an Exotic Eastern Caribbean cruise. It was wonderful. This was my 12th cruise and my sister's second. I left my hubby behind on this trip!

The ship is in excellent condition. The food at the buffets was just average, but we didn't care. NY Deli was great! Pizza-just OK. The dining room food and service was outstanding. Every night our waiter would bring the table extra dinners so that we could try the different dishes. Dessert-my sister had the chocolate melting cake 7 straight nights! I had it with strawberry icecream and I drizzled the chocolate on top.

Cabin. We had a Cat 11 Suite and enjoyed it very much. We were only able to afford it because we booked 2 months before the trip and because September is hurricane season. We lucked out. We had great weather every day.

Islands-Half Moon Cay. Just beautiful. Pure Paradise.:)

St Thomas- We hired an independant tour operator and it was great! I prebooked our tour online. Godfrey Tours. Godfrey was on time and very professional. We went shopping downtown, on a tour to the Mountain Top and to Sapphire Beach for 2 hours. We rented Jet skis there for $50.00 for 1/2 hour. Godfrey's price can't be beat!! $25.00PP. I highly recommend him if you are going to St Thomas. He will show you the best of the island with or without the beach. www.godfreytours.com This was the first time that I went shopping downtown and it was no different than the shops at the Havensight Pier. I would not bother to go downtown again.:rolleyes:

San Juan-extremely hot day. So humid!! We took the free bus to the closest fort. Toured around a bit. Took some great pictures and then we walked back to town and went in and out of the airconditioned stores.

Grand Turk-basically a very commercialized port built by Carnival. The beach is right next to the pier. Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville is there with a huge, fresh water pool, bar and restaurant. We had booked the Snuba Tour with Carnival and for some reason it was cancelled so we booked the Ultimate Snorkeling and it was fantastic!! We saw beautiful coral, sting rays and barracuda. It was awesome!! In Grand Turk, you can olny book excursions through Carnival.

One more thing. We flew in from Boston, Ma and stayed at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami the night before the cruise. Location! Location! Across from Bayside Market Place with stores and restaurants. We felt very safe there. The day we returned from the cruise it was my birthday so we stayed at the Hilton Miami Airport Hotel. Beautiful hotel. Gorgeous pool area on the bay. Very reasonable. $154.00 for the night included a breakfast buffet. We went to the Miami Sea Aquarium for the day. Very disappointing. No rides there. No water rides and the park is very small.

So, I would give this cruise an 8!! The buffet food and our cabin stewards cleaning was not worth a 10. Oh--and--can Carnival please get new Lido Deck lounges? Every time you sit up the back flips up and you can't get the darn thing to click down!! I think they are very uncomfortable compared to RCCL lounges.

This is my first time posting a review on Cruise Critic. I have enjoed reading other posts!:cool:

4 of us cruised on the Triumph last Dec. Big beautiful ship. We took a cheap inside cabin cuz we just don't spend much time in our room anyway. Too busy out and about having fun with all the activities. Mini golf was fun. Won a ship on a stick for a trivia game, and a Carnival 'olympic' medal for being in the Survivor game. Loads of fun. I also had chocolate melting cake everyday and wow is that stuff yummy. The deli was great for lunches.

We just returned from an Exotic Eastern Caribbean cruise. It was wonderful. This was my 12th cruise and my sister's second. I left my hubby behind on this trip!

The ship is in excellent condition. The food at the buffets was just average, but we didn't care. NY Deli was great! Pizza-just OK. The dining room food and service was outstanding. Every night our waiter would bring the table extra dinners so that we could try the different dishes. Dessert-my sister had the chocolate melting cake 7 straight nights! I had it with strawberry icecream and I drizzled the chocolate on top. Our stop at San Juan was from 5-midnight. Took the walking tour which was interesting, but after that not much to do. Stopped and had a drink outside in front of the Sheratin Hotel inview of our ship and then headed back onboard. In St. Thomas we did an independant tour just like yours and Sunny Liston was so much fun! Highly recommend him. Stay at a gorgeous hotel on the bay precruise that we got for less than half price on hotwire as recommended by CC members.

Kathy in Maine

We were on the same itinerary the following week, very nice trip. There were others taking cabs on GT when we were and lots of folks selling tours. Interesting place and the diving was great.

We went on diving and land tours in all the ports, none thru the ship and mostly arranged in advance online. We ran into a nice tour of San Juan for $20. as we exited the dock.

I don't know if they always do it, but there were free RUM drinks on the dock when we returned, whew............My sister said she took one back aboard with her and no one said anything when she went thru security. My favorite moment was seeing a blue jumpsuit crew member slamming drinks down with the tourists. This is on the Sep. 15 Triumph trip.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived