When you cruise & go to the beach do you leave your stuff alone?

cutiek184

I am going to do an excursion to a beach resort in progresso.. now I've never been on a cruise.. i was wondering are the beaches there like america for example where i live It is safe to leave my backpack on the beach with my clothes and what not and nobody bothers your stuff, my friends say i better hang on to my stuff.....how can i enjoy the water if i have to worry about someone taking off with my stuff?! any advice is appreciated!!:confused:

Short answer: Don't leave your stuff alone on a beach in Mexico, especially ones that are crawling with locals, vendors, kids and pot dealers. You can "pay" a local on the beach to watch your stuff, they keep in eye on it if you rent a chair from them or tip them, but don't just dump it and leave it.

I would purchase a swim container for your ID. They have them here on CC or at your local store. This will hold your sign and sail card a copy of your passport and $$. They are on a lanyard and can be hung around your neck. Other than that you should only have a towel and maybe a change of clothes. These can be left at your chair.

safe.jpg

http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/product.cfm?ID=26

I agree with Kris above. We purchased one of these at REI before sailing - it's just big enough to hold 2 sail & sign cards, 2 drivers licenses, 1 charge card, and some cash folded up.

Then we carried a backpack with our towels, sunscreen, books to read on the beach. If the backpack was stolen - yes, it would be an annoyance, but not a huge problem.

Donna

I am going to do an excursion to a beach resort in progresso.. now I've never been on a cruise.. i was wondering are the beaches there like america for example where i live It is safe to leave my backpack on the beach with my clothes and what not and nobody bothers your stuff, my friends say i better hang on to my stuff.....how can i enjoy the water if i have to worry about someone taking off with my stuff?! any advice is appreciated!!:confused:

I don't know where in america yu live but I wouldn't leave my stuff alone on the beach here in So Cal. You can try and hook up with some people from the ship who may be going to the same beach and watch each others stuff.

I don't know where in america yu live but I wouldn't leave my stuff alone on the beach here in So Cal. You can try and hook up with some people from the ship who may be going to the same beach and watch each others stuff.

I'm spoiled...where I live you can leave your stuff on the beach and your car running in a parking lot with the doors unlocked....

but for valuables when traveling anywhere, we get a locker. I am going to buy one of those swim containers though. Can't hurt to have a couple.

I am going to do an like America for example where i live It is safe to leave my backpack on the beach with my clothes and what not and nobody bothers your stuff, my friends say i better hang on to my stuff

I think you mean USA as Mexico and Canada are also in America. As others have pointed out, not many places in USA that it is safe to leave things unattended.

That being said when we cruise we have a backpack that we have a ski lock that we keep on it. They are long enough to go around a couple of chairs. It would not stop some one from cutting open the bag, but know one can walk by and pick it up. We also use it on ship when up at the pool. I have heard of several people who have had things stolen while being a chair hog. Saving a chair while at the buffet.

I think you mean USA as Mexico and Canada are also in America.

Where do you get that one? Are you implying Canadians and Mexicans call themselves Americans because they live on the North American continent?

Look in any dictionary and you'll see the first definition of America is the United States of America. America is in fact short for The United States of America.

Mexico and Canada are in North America, and the are part of the Americas, but Mexico and Canada are not "in America" the way the term America is normally used.

Short answer: Don't leave your stuff alone on a beach in Mexico, especially ones that are crawling with locals, vendors, kids and pot dealers. You can "pay" a local on the beach to watch your stuff, they keep in eye on it if you rent a chair from them or tip them, but don't just dump it and leave it.

Don't you mean "Don't leave your stuff alone on a public beach anyplace in the world, even at home"?

I've never had anything stolen at a beach in Mexico. I have seen cruisers go into resort pool areas and steal the towels, though.

For my first cruise in 2003, I order a splash caddy from Magellan's and have used it ever since. It is like a flat waist pouch that comes with heavy duty baggies. I have the full size one and three of us share it, 3 passports, wallets, and so on. Here is the link.

http://www.magellans.com/store/Safety___Security___Security_Purses___TotesSV834?Args=

[Look in any dictionary and you'll see the first definition of America is the United States of America. America is in fact short for The United States of America.

Mexico and Canada are in North America, and the are part of the Americas, but Mexico and Canada are not "in America" the way the term America is normally used.

Thank you very much for the lesion. I will forward your views on to the educators that people how live in the "Americas" are not American that term is the sole domain of the US.

I wonder if the works also for people from the United Arab Emirates or Saudi Arabia. Which ones can call them selves Arabian?

For my first cruise in 2003, I order a splash caddy from Magellan's and have used it ever since. It is like a flat waist pouch that comes with heavy duty baggies. I have the full size one and three of us share it, 3 passports, wallets, and so on. Here is the link.

http://www.magellans.com/store/Safety___Security___Security_Purses___TotesSV834?Args=

Just a word of caution......If you must/want to keep your passport on you be very very careful. Someone on here made a good suggestion and said take a copy of your passport with you to travel on and off the ship. Keep your original in the room safe.

Anyways if you hook up with a Cruise Ship family while on the beach and sit by them, you can watch your items while you jump into the water.

Fred

I think this is the best way to go.

Although the idea of a cable style lock that could attach your backpack to a chair and a lock on the zipper might work too.

We always take our camera in port and many others do also, we have always been lucky to have "beach mates" that will keep an eye on our things and we do the same for them.

Payd:)

Thank you very much for the lesion. I will forward your views on to the educators that people how live in the "Americas" are not American that term is the sole domain of the US.

I wonder if the works also for people from the United Arab Emirates or Saudi Arabia. Which ones can call them selves Arabian?

Well, then - if Mexicans are Americans, all this illegal immigration fuss must be nonsense! and why the new passport requirements?

Sorry, but I think you are wrong.

Put anything really valuable in one of those waterproof plastic containers that you hang around your neck. The gift shop on the ship sells very good ones into which you can fold some money, and your card to get onto and off of the ship.

Only leave stuff in your bag that you wouldn't really miss if it was stolen.

Although we've never had a problem, there's always a first time. I'd take the same precautions at any beach, unless it was a private club... and even there...

BnB

We know here in Fl, that you never leave anything of value alone on the beach. Things can disappear very quickly. You may be on vacation, but the thieves are always on duty. I like the idea of the waterproof pouches, but I think our family will take turns staying with our stuff, too. You're better being safe on vacation. You don't want your vacation ruined, because something happened.

I am going to do an like America for example where i live It is safe to leave my backpack on the beach with my clothes and what not and nobody bothers your stuff, my friends say i better hang on to my stuff

I think you mean USA as Mexico and Canada are also in America. As others have pointed out, not many places in USA that it is safe to leave things unattended.

-------------

I think it was commonly understood from the OP that "America" means USA. I think that is commonly understood ALL OVER THE WORLD!!!! If someone says they are an "American", they mean they are from the USA. Even in Europe, Europeans will ask one if they are American, meaning from the states. No one has ever asked someone if they are a USAin.

Isn't that commonly understood in Elmira? Or did Elmira secede from New York and become part of Canada?

Sheesh.

BnB

Archived