Venice Experts Needed

They are not the same.

Alilaguna is the private company which offers a scheduled boat transfer between the airport and Venice.

Vaporetti are the means of public transportation in Venice. I would rather call them water buses not taxis. They operate just like busses in other cities - public, fixed schedule, fixed prices.

Water taxis are also available. They work like land base taxis in other cities - just for you, individual routes, individual prices.

correct about the difference. I don't believe there is a vapportto from/to the airport and san marco. You could take a land taxi from the airport to Plaza Roma in Venice and then get the Vapporetto down the Grand Canal to San Marco... depends and your budget and time..

are you staying in san marco area and have luggage? if so, not easy with a lot of luggage on the vapporettos..especially if you are not familiar..

Here is a good map of the Alilaguna routes

http://www.alilaguna.com/images/mappa-linee.gif

From the airport you wil need to take the 'tan' coloured route that takes you to San Marco Giardinetti. This will cost €25pp. This is assuming your hotel is in the San Marco area! If not then study the map to find out if there is a route to go near your hotel. Remember that Venice is a city of steps and bridges - there fore as romantic as it may seem to arrive by boat practically speaking if you have suitcases etc it is better to take the blue ACTV bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma for just €3pp and then go down the shallow steps to the Grand Canal and get on the Vaporetto down the Canal to the stop that is closest to your hotel. The Vaporetto pass is €15 for 24hrs - you can jump on/off as many as you want!

The #1 is the slowest and stops everwhere down the Grand Canal but is amazing for the leisurely view. The #82 is the Express version.

Hope this helps.

Ok Venice experts, I have one for you. :)

If you're flying into Venice and want to go straight to the ship, what's the best way to do that?

I looked at the map for the alilaguna and I have no idea where the port is or what it's called. And the map is all in Italian! :eek: :D

What would it cost for a taxi or alilaguna from the aeroporto to the ship?

Ok Venice experts, I have one for you. :)

If you're flying into Venice and want to go straight to the ship, what's the best way to do that?

I looked at the map for the alilaguna and I have no idea where the port is or what it's called. And the map is all in Italian! :eek: :D

What would it cost for a taxi or alilaguna from the aeroporto to the ship?

Best thing is to take a land taxi to the port. The Alilaguna stop closest to the port is right at the end of the Blue line and is called Statzione Marritima - I am not sure of the distance you will have to walk though to get to the port itself. Prehaps someone else can advise. You would certainly get a long leisurely view of Venice as you do this trip!

Just to confirm my thoughts..

You can take a land taxi from the airport to the port.

You can take a land taxi from the airport to Piazzale Roma.

I'm therefore assuming you can take a land taxi from Piazzale Roma to the port. Is this correct?

Also, are (land) taxis readily available at piazzale Roma or do they have to be booked?

We are a party of four & we will have our luggage with us. Are the land taxis able to accomodate this? Thanks.

If you will have your luggage with you, take a land taxi to the ship. In your cabin will be vouchers, probably $10.00 each that will take a boat over to San Marco. It's a wonderful place, prepare to be dazzled. :D

Watch the webcams and dream:

http://www.veniceword.com/webcam.html

You can make arrangements with venice-limo to meet you with a van that can take all of you and your luggage at one time. They will meet you at the airport, holding a sign with your name on it. They have a website and an email address.

We go fairly regularly to Venice by air, although this year was the first time we have visited as part of a cruise.

We decided to walk from our ship up to Piazzale Roma to take the Vaporetto, but it was a much longer walk than we had expected (maybe 20 minutes). On the return we took the Vaporetto back to Piazzale Roma, then caught a land taxi from the rank back to the ship for about 8 euros. As this is the only taxi pick up in Venice proper I would expect them to be readily available. However, if you have a lot of luggage then you might need to take two taxis.

Katy P - Contrary to expectations there is a lot of dry land within Venice, and not every hotel has a canal frontage. You should contact your hotel for advice on transportation. Water taxis are expensive, but may make sense for a party of several people. If you take luggage onto the vaporetto you are expected to purchase an extra ticket for the cases.

From the airport there are several Alilaguna routes. The blue route is 12 euros but takes about 1 1/4 hours with intermediate stops in several places. They also have a faster direct service fom the airport to San Marco for 25 euros. You don't pay extra for baggage on the Alilaguna boats. The blue route to Stazione Marittime is a seasonal service. The Alilaguna boats actually come into San Zaccaria, not the stop called San Marco, which is at the opposite end of the Piazza. With your back to the water turn left from San Zaccaria, cross 1 (or maybe 2) high bridge and you will be at San Marco. From the top of the bridge you will have a good view of the Bridge of Sighs at the back of the Doges Palace.

When coming out of the airport there is a ten minute signposted walk to the Alilaguna stop. Turn left out of arrivals and come out the far end of the terminal. There are porters available but whilst I can't remember the charge it is quite expensive. If you have a lot of luggage or mobility problems you might want to consider taking a land taxi from the front of the terminal.

There are desks for water taxi companies in the terminal building at the far end near the exit for the Allillaguna stop. You still have the same distance to the waterfront, but maybe the water taxi company will help with the transfer.

Otherwise, just book a driver and van or limo to meet you on arrival, though you will still have to make the transfer from Ple Roma to the hotel.

Paul S

OMG, I love those webcams! :D

Thanks everyone! I was considering a water taxi all the way from the airport to the ship, but it looks like a long way and I'm guessing it's probably $$$$$. We'll stick with the land taxi. :)

ETA, I just read Paul's post again. If it's a seasonal alilaguna ride directly to the ship, would that include May?

Thanks to both of you for your advice. (and the webcams. :) )

I forgot to mention we will be staying in Venice for 2 nights (near Piazale Roma) prior to sailing so we will have luggage on both occasions.

I think the way to go is to pre-book the taxis. Thanks.

Are you aware that being near Piazale Roma does not mean that you won't need to pull your luggage down streets and over bridges? I agree with the poster that mentioned to check with your hotel. You will need specific directions where to go after you reach Piazzale Roma. Being mobility impaired, that is why I decided to stay on Mestre (the mainland) for my pre-cruise night.

Two of us had 2 large luggages to arrive at the S. Lucia train station so we stayed at the nearby Hotel Abbazia's ground floor room. To carry the large luggages to/out the water bus to P. Roma is still a challenge but I find it much, much easier than cross the three high/low bridges (it's a bit better when the new long bridge between S. Lucia and P. Roma opens in December).

Member, my sister, her husband, and my elderly mother and I are also staying at Hotel Abbazia before our cruise in November. My mother has limited mobility. What would you recommend for us to get from the hotel to the port? Thanks!

Archived