grandchildren

irishcropper

going on a cruise with my granddaugher (13) in January. What should I expect regarding time spent with her and time spent with the 'tween' group? She has never been on a cruise. It is only a 4 day to bahamas. Also, I know I need medical release for emergencies, but if we do dolphin encounter or parasail do I need specific permission from her parents?

You will need a note signed by both parents, and notorized, giving you permission to take the child out of the country and allowing you to make emergency decisions for the child regarding medical treatment. Since you're cruising in January, I highly doubt there will be many kids on board. And if you're on certain lines, namely Celebrity or Princess, you'll have a hard time finding school age children on board. We cruise every January and we've rarely seen kids other than infants or toddlers on ships. Since kids are just getting back to school after a long Christmas vacation, you just don't see school kids on ships.

Which cruiseline are you sailing on? That will help us advise you about what is available for her. :)

I think kitty9 is correct; there are going to be very few others her age onboard. Maybe you should be thinking of it in terms of "grandma-granddaughter bonding time." Four days is a great length; not enough time for her to get too bored, and I bet she'll love spending time with you.

My daughter loved cruising at that age. One thing I would highly recommend. Look on the roll call board and see if anyone her age is sailing. See if they can talk back and forth and get to know each other. I think 13 is a difficult age to try to get to know someone in 4 short days. My daughter would chat with girls, that way, by the time we sailed , they already felt like friends. If you want her to have the best time possible, I'd try to work out a schedule before you go - How much time she has with the teens and when she will spend time with you. I'm not sure what kind of personality she has. My daughter is very independent and wanted lots of time doing things with her age group. Some children are very leary of new situations and would feel comfortable with a family member.

Twice now I have sailed with minors to the Bahamas. Both times I have had a note from the parents giving me permission to medicialy treat them if needed. I also had note signed giving me permission to take them out of the country. To be exact the note gave me temporary custody of the minor during the trip dates.

Neither times have the airline or the cruise lines asked for these letters. I called Washington earlier this year asking about this. The only countries truly requiring the permission to leave the country note is Canada and Mexico. I still say it's something you want to take for your protection, it's not a required note to sail to the Bahamas.

As for the time spent together, it really depends on the child. The first one that went with me, found a friend on the first day and they spent lots of time together on the ship. The other one isn't as out going and we spent alot of time together. A set rule made before the cruise was that all ports of calls were to be spent together.

Take with you three different color highlighters. Each night after dinner sit down and go over the news letter. Each one of you get a different color. Highlight on each news letter what each one of you plan to do seperate. With the 3rd one highlight the things yall want to do together. That way you can keep up with where she will be when not with you, and she knows where you are.

Another thing is in your cabin a dry erase board is a great way to leave each other notes of where you will be or any change of plans.

The most important thing is that you both HAVE FUN!

I don't know for sure if a passport is required or not, the rules keep changing, but I would definitely make sure you have one for both of you. that being said I have taken my 13 year old daughter on a few mother daughter cruises and have always tried to hook her up with a friend before hand. The kids have so much more fun with companion their own age. you might want to consider, if you do find her a friend on the boards, that you take some of the shore time with the friend and her family.

Passports have been moved again to summer 2008 so you will not NEED them to sail. IF there is an accident on island and you need medical transport back to the US in a hurry, it is best tohave one (speeds things up). You need a letter for Homeland Security (not the cruise line)Following is a leeter someone elase posted a while back.

LETTER OF CONSENT TO TRAVEL

I __________________________________________________ provide my consent for

NAME OF PARENT(S)

my child(ren) ____________________________________________ to travel with and receive emergency medical treatment as needed

NAME OF CHILD(REN)

________________________________ to ____________________________ from

NAME(S) OF ADULT TRAVEL COMPANION(S) COUNTRY/COUNTRIES

________________________________ to ____________________________ .

DATE DATE

(List specific travel information in the space below such as airline, flight number, cruise line and ship or tour operator.)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Signed____________________________________________ _________________

PARENT'S NAME

Telephone/Contact:__________________________________________

Address:

Signature of Notary:___________________________________________

Notary's Printed Name: ________________________________________

Notary Seal:

Hope this helps. Have a great cruise. Talk with the child's Mom, ask what she likes to do for together time, ask the child. 13 is tough but on a ship, I think you will have a great time. FYI: Don't forget to talk with Mom about helping to pack! Went on a large family /friend cruise with a 14 yr old. She packed for herself...9 day cruise, videos, CDs, 4 pr shorts, 4 tops, NO panties (her Mom was very stressed. Only shoes the ones she wore on plane. NO dresses. This cruise left San Juan and they flew in the day before. Momma found this out then at the hotel and they shopped in San Juan the next morning. Needless to say, that is not the way to start a cruise.

Archived