RCCL website vs. Travel agent

jammin

Now that RCCL has standardized its cruise pricing I was wondering if the rates advertised on their website would be the same as what I would get from any travel agent or are travel agents pricing lower?

Also, can travel agents still find upgrades for you?

Thanks.

I disagree. From what I've been reading on all these pricing threads, its my understanding TAs may still get "contracted" lower rates with RCI and "group" rates which would both beat RCI rates. So, you should still check around first before deciding where and with whom to book.:)

Lot's of different experiences here that are increasing the confussion.

From my experience all prices have been the same so far. It hasn't mattered if I was looking at the RCI page or a TA's web site. However, RCI prices have been comparable with other cruise lines with similar or the same routes.

C&A is the repeat cruisers program from RCCL. Once you have cruised one time you can join C&A and become a gold member. 5+ you become platinum, 10+ you become diamond. There is a quarterly magazine sent to all members with coupons for stateroom discounts. They vary depending on which level you are(gold, plat or diamond).

The magazine C&A is "Crown and Anchor" after you sail with RCCL you can sign up for this on their website, and they send you a quarterly magazine with coupons in it along with other info. Also I have priced different cruises at online TA's and they are still lower than RCCL's website, but the benefit of booking on their (RCCL) website is that you can reserve a stateroom with little money down ($250.00 USD I think) and can then make payments at you leisure (if you book well in advance). Also, if you would like to upgrade you have that option too, where as with a TA your reservation is pretty much set in stone. Hope this helps :)

Thanks! Looks like I'm out of luck this time. We have only recently fallen in love with cruising. We did a 4 night Disney in March but are looking at a 7 night RCCL. After months of planning the first cruise with no help or much interest from my DH, he came away telling everyone he meets that it is the only vacation he'll ever take from now on...LOL! Darn, poor me, having to accompany him on his new obsession ; )

Sandy

• 3 weeks later...
Last cruise, booked in July, I compared RC website with an online TA and got a significant discount with the TA. Recently (after the change) I booked another cruise - same comparisons, I calculate my discount at 12.6% on my booking. Don't know how the online TAs do it, but they do - just check out a few sites.

Indeed, online is the way to go. You can almost always find a cheaper rate at an online TA. That is the only way I've booked all my cruises. Lots of reserch was done before hand to find this one specail site that pretty much everyone should, and actually prolly does, know about. I have never found a cheaper rate anywhere else (5 years of looking!!!) and they have wonderful customer service.

As far as the new changes are concerned. In general the larger TA's will see no difference, from what I have found anyway. Looked for cruises all they way into 2006. Rates are still considerably cheaper. Also, one of the best ways to get great prices is to ask for a guaranteed room rate. You can pay for the cheapest room and almost always get bumped up. Not gettting to pick the exact room you want, is obviously the downside. But, you'll never get downgraded only upgraded :)

One question. I am new here, so correct me if I'm wrong, but, I have not seen anyone name any TA's. Is that the way it is done here? No TA name mentioning?

******Added To Comment *****

Example of what I have found:

[b] Cruise Sailing: [/b] 7 Night Southern Caribbean Cruise Sailing On The Adventure Of The Seas on 02-Oct-2005

RCCL Website - Inside Stateroom Cat. M, Deck 8 - $ 589.00 USD
TA Website - Inside Stateroom Cat. M, Deck 9 - [b][color=red]$ 410.00[/color][/b] USD

[color=Red][b] [quote name='Cruise Critic'] Advertising Guidelines[/b][/color]

Cruise Critic has strict guidelines prohibiting blatant advertising, commercial sales and solicitation posts on all of our message boards.

Our Cruise Boards are meant to be a cruiser's exchange of advice and tips where cruisers can talk about their travels -- not a marketplace for advertising and selling services. There are thousands of cruise professionals online and if we didn't insist on a non-solicitation policy the cruise boards would be very quickly overrun with nothing but ads.

Cruise Critic defines advertising as an individual or company's attempt to generate business or other commercial enterprise, either directly or indirectly, by using our Cruise Board. Solicitation includes, but is not limited to, requests to be E-mailed, the posting of phone numbers for your business, and the referring to or posting of one's own Web site address.

There shall be no third-party recommendation of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning. Additional posts will result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Cruise Critic reserves the right to approve or deny links which lead directly to or link to cruise-related material or message boards that is not located within Cruise Critic. This does not mean all links will be removed, but rather that they will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.[color=Red][b][/QUOTE] [/b][color=black]Ah yes, reading, what a wonderful idea.:p[/color]
[/color]

Archived