Question for Bequia

hockeymom97

Hi Bequia - you seem to have a wealth of information about transportaion in the MIA and FLL areas so I'm hoping you can help with this. We are flying into FLL the day before our cruise and we are staying at the Hyatt in Miami (on Second Ave) for the night, then leaving out of Miami on our cruise. At this point I have not made any arrangements as far as transfers, rental car, etc. I was thinking about renting a card at FLL - and based on some of your other posts I was probably going to use Avis. I'm assuming I can pick up right at FLL? We would probaly drop the car off in the morning and then take a taxi to the port from the Avis drop off. or if the Avis drop off isn't far from the Hyatt, we might drop the car off the night before.

Now my main question is how to handle getting back to FLL from Miami after the cruise. Is it possible to just pick up a taxi at the port to take us back to FLL? Any ideas on approx cost for 3 people? Or is it better to take a taxi back to Avis, pick up a car and drive ourselves back to FLL?

Or if you have better suggestions on any of this, I'm definitely open to ideas :) If it's easier/cheaper to just take a taxi from FLL to Miami, I'm open to that as we really aren't going to use the car for anything else other than getting to our hotel. Thanks in advance!!

. I was thinking about renting a card at FLL - and based on some of your other posts I was probably going to use Avis. I'm assuming I can pick up right at FLL?

Yes

Now my main question is how to handle getting back to FLL from Miami after the cruise. Is it possible to just pick up a taxi at the port to take us back to FLL?

Yes, they're all lined up, ready to go

Any ideas on approx cost for 3 people?

Fares are metered and go by the cab ride, not per person. Average fares run between $75-$85

Or is it better to take a taxi back to Avis, pick up a car and drive ourselves back to FLL?

Taxi is quicker, car rental may save you a few bucks. If it were me, I'd just cab it back.

Or if you have better suggestions on any of this, I'm definitely open to ideas :) If it's easier/cheaper to just take a taxi from FLL to Miami, I'm open to that as we really aren't going to use the car for anything else other than getting to our hotel. Thanks in advance!!

Not so much a better suggestion but something worth considering. GO Shuttle shared ride shuttle http://www.floridalimo.com/Pages/sharedr.html from FLL to your hotel is $18 per person, $54 for the three of you plus tip. A car rental after taxes, fuel etc will probably run about the same. Unfortunately the GO Shuttle shared ride shuttle for $18 doesn't run in the opposite direction. So for the return a cab ride for three is actually less then the shuttle the cruiseline offers and a lot quicker.

////////////////////

Thanks for the suggestion about the GO shuttle - I think this might be the way we go. I'm assuming that since you mention their service, you'd consider them reliable?

Absolutely, great operation!

///////////////

Archived