Has anyone been to Ravenna on a cruise?

I've tried asking about Ravenna on the Ports of Call/Europe/Med forum, but received no response, probably because not many Med cruise itineraries include it.

As a result, I'm now changing strategies and hoping that, by posting my question on the individual forums of cruise lines that visit there, I may get a response from someone with recent experience.

My questions are about shuttles from the cruise pier into the city.

1) was there a shuttle provided from the cruise pier to the city?

- and, if so,

2) was it free?

3) where was the shuttle drop off location in the city?

Thanks in advance for any answers anyone can provide.

Hello, Just returned from a Princess cruise which stopped at Ravenna. Yes, there was a free shuttle provided by Princess (it is 7 miles into town). A map was also provided by the cruise line for walking around. We were dropped off at a convenient location, and armed with our tour guide BOOK we had a very easy, wonderful walking around to see the beautiful mosaics in the churches. It is an easy, stress-free town to walk around to see the most beautiful mosaics in the world. You can buy a tour book at the stand when you get off the bus, although it was a few euro more than the other shops.

Ravenna has fabulous mosaics! I was there on my solo trip to Italy May 2006 and visited Ravenna for the day from Bologna. Had a great lunch too (from my notes):

Ristorante La Gardela

Via Ponte Marino, 3

This was a place that served huge portions at reasonable prices. I started with their tortellini stuffed with ricotta and spinach in a tomato/cream sauce, followed by their fried mixed platter of shrimp, calamari, and zucchini. I shared a liter of wine with friends Pam and Gary; bottled water. 20 Euros.

Monica :p

Archived