Victory Travelor Beware

dgossett

Told the nurse what I was having and I needed some Pepto that's all. She put me is a room and shoved a bunch of papers in front of me, I kept telling her the problem, she assumed that I had that dreaded N virus, no I didn't. I had no other symptoms. And my husband wasn't sick. Changing from fish & veggies to fries and burgers is what messed me up. The nurse made me go to my room, mad me only eat clear liquids. I could not go out of my room for any reason they called and made sure I was in the room. I was a Prisioner in a cabin. Would not let me go ashore we missed Boston had plans for the day. I was put in my room at 6:00 pm and no more problems, at 3:00 pm enough time to save the day , I had no more problems they still wouldn't let me out. All the Carnival offered me was a bottle of water and a movie. Oh how generous! IF YOU FEEL BAD DON'T TELL ANYONE THEY WILL LOCK YOU UP.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I can understand the cruiseline not wanting to take any chances, either.

This can happen on any of the lines these days. They just don't want to take a chance.

I actually disagree with the above posters, mainly because this EXACT thing happened to a fellow cruiser on our Freedom cruise. She ate rich Italian food, had a little tummy upset, went to the purser to ask if they had any immodium/pepto, and they quarantined her for a full 24 hours.

They did NOT have her checked by a Doctor. They did NOT take her temperature. They did NOT care that she hadn't vomited, not a single time, or even had actual diarrhea. Those are the three main symptoms of a contagious virus, and the fact that they never even had her checked by a Dr. was a bone of contention.

I've had tummy upsets many times while traveling, in fact, almost every time. You can bet that I will bring pepto with me from now on.

If I thought I was sick with a virus, vomited or "the other", I'd most definately agree with the quarantine. But if they quarantined me for a full 24 hours without even having me checked by a doctor, and I missed a full day of my vacation, I might just feel as the OP did. And, I have a feeling that most of you would, too.

If you woke up with a little bit of diarrhea, would you quarantine yourself??? Or would you continue on with your day, hoping to feel better? I'd imagine that most of you wouldn't willingly lock yourselves in your cabin for 24 hours of your cruise to protect the other passengers. If you had Noro, you'd know it, believe me.

If people have a fever and are vomiting, that's one thing. If their tummy is a bit "off", it's an entirely different situation.

Glama,

Noro doesn't specifically present with a temperature and seeing a doctor isn't required to implement a protocol designed to protect a ship full of people from an apparent virus. When a patient presents to our ER with GI symptoms that may or may not be Noro, we treat the symptoms and discharge them without a thought of quarantine; the general public isn't on a confined ship with them so there's no threat to the general public. We advise them how to prevent the spread of the virus and send them on their way, but you cannot do that on a ship.

The pursor acted appropriately in the case of your fellow cruiser. They followed their protocol for protecting their passengers. If your fellow cruiser needed medical intervention, I'm sure it would have been provided, but the fact is that only the symptoms can be treated, the virus itself must be eradicated by the person's own bodily defenses. The first symptoms of Noro or any other GI illness are the EXACT symptoms you said your fellow cruiser had. When a person has any GI symptoms, you have to assume that they are not only contagious, but that they have also already exposed other passengers.

You also stated that if you have Noro, you'll know it. Actually, most people don't find out for sure they had Noro until they have completely recovered. It's not routinely tested for, and when it is the result is irrelevant in terms of treatment. Again, we just treat the symptoms.

Your 'bone of contention' is moot, because seeing a doctor wouldn't have changed the outcome, nor would she have had a definative diagnosis of Noro or not.

I always pack my own medicine check for the "just In case" times... I cant imagin not having a few items and I sure hope I dont need them. Maybe this just needs to be looked at as a good learning experience.

If people have a fever and are vomiting, that's one thing. If their tummy is a bit "off", it's an entirely different situation.

The thing is I'm sure there are many people that would SAY their tummy is a bit off when really it IS a lot more serious. They would say this for the sole reason that they don't want to miss "their" cruise or get confined to their cabin.

I totally agree with the cruise line on this one. The OP went to the doctor with stomach distress and it's the doctor's RESPONSIBILITY to take due diligence. With thousands of people on one sailing, I wouldn't just take the person's word for tummy trouble either.

I am sorry, but some of these responses are just rude - I am sure all of you negative posters would like to be sent to your room and made to stay there, yeah right. My tummy is always out of whack on vacation...um let me see, rich foods I don't normally eat and drinking everyday which I don't normally do and probably just being out of my normal routine. Yes, I always carry my own Pepto and tums but not everyone does. I think some on here just get ready to pounce on anyone that posts, to throw something negative their way.

Sorry to the OP that this was done to you, I hope you get it worked out with Carnival. It is too bad that some on here are using your unfortunate situation to step on their soapboxes.

If I had been a passenger on the same as you were on, I for one would have been grateful that Carnival treated your symptoms with such concern, and if you would even give it a thought, more than yourself, you would agree.

Now, on to you. Apparently you ate a lot of food your system was not use to as you had been dieting for your fabulous cruise. Please do not try and deny that. There are a lot of women on this board that diet before we go on a cruise. Knowing that you would not be eating the same things as you did at home, why would it have not occurred to you to bring your own Pepto? I did not notice if you were a first time poster, but if you were a regular and saw all the lists on this board, you would have noticed that Peto, or an antacid was indeed on the list.

It is so amazing that when things do not go right on a cruise, they always blame the cruise line, not themselves. Sure sometimes it is the case, but again this one is not one of them.

I am sorry, but some of these responses are just rude - I am sure all of you negative posters would like to be sent to your room and made to stay there, yeah right. My tummy is always out of whack on vacation...um let me see, rich foods I don't normally eat and drinking everyday which I don't normally do and probably just being out of my normal routine. Yes, I always carry my own Pepto and tums but not everyone does. I think some on here just get ready to pounce on anyone that posts, to throw something negative their way.

Sorry to the OP that this was done to you, I hope you get it worked out with Carnival. It is too bad that some on here are using your unfortunate situation to step on their soapboxes.

i agree. well, shld clarify...not agree that they were necessarily rude. people have different opinions. but i do agree that the OP being locked in her cabin stinks, and might have been a bit alarmist.

OP, thank you for your post. b/c even though i recognize that the crew has to take every precaution (and on that level, if you cannot be tested for noro, they may, in fact, need to quarantine you), but why do this when there isn't an influx of patients at the infirmiry all exhibiting the same symptoms? and why continue to keep ypu there when are 100% recovered? rhetorical, b/c...

are we really at the point right now that we are so freaked out over noro that an ordinary, very short lived, stomach ache will never be considered the cause?

i think your post adds value b/c it advises those who do not bring otc meds to reconsider, and sadly, to reconsider going to the infirmiry. it's a piece of info worth considering.

all noro champions, do not read this wrong. i am not advocating that sick pax roam freely, but am suggesting that at some point, a little common sense must kick in.

and, does anyone remember the woman who wasn't feeling well from her flight and needed to sit on line at embarkation? i forget the ship, but there was a thread on here about it. she was denied boarding. not allowed to even go on the cruise.

Archived