My solo review of Liberty of the Seas

DiannaInVA

Best vacation ever!

I've only been on solo vacations a few times: A few short weekends at the beach and a short cruise. I was really worried about going away for 7 days by myself. I was really looking forward to the ports but was afraid I would be bored with 2 sea days. My short cruise on Majesty--I was bored on the ship, so I figured two whole days like that would be a bit much. So, thinking that would be the case, I brought a portable DVD player and 3 books. I didn't even finished reading one book! I read more on the plane than I did the entire week on the ship! There was so much to do, I was always running from one end of the ship to the other (especially the first couple of days since I kept getting lost).

Since this is the biggest and newest ship out there, everything was the best of the fleet--the best Cruise Director, the best shows, the best cast, the best musicians, the best headliners. Next year, they will be focused on making Independence of the Seas the best, so it was nice to go on Liberty this year.

I know some people say they find lasting friendships on their cruises, but I didn't go onboard thinking that would happen...and it didn't :) but that doesn't mean I didn't have the time of my life. I didn't have luck with my dinner companions though. I checked my table as soon as I got on board, and I had a table for 4 so I went to the maitre'd to get moved to a larger table (like I had originally requested), but there weren't any openings available at that time. He said he would check again the next day, but for the first night I would have to go to the 4 top. As it turned out, I was seated with a honeymoon couple and one other solo. The honeymooners only showed up the first night. The other woman wasn't much of a talker so there was some awkward silences, but she only showed up twice while I was there. I did talk to the lady at the neighboring table for two days while she was there. She was the mother to one of the cast of the ice show.

I actually met another mother of one of the cast of the ice show when I went parasailing! That's what I loved about cruising--you can still talk with a lot of people and it's easy to start conversations because you can always start with talking about past cruises or how they were enjoying the current cruise, and they usually have an interesting story to tell.

There was so much for a solo to do: seminars, events like watching the crew vs guests pool volleyball, watching the flowrider (surfing and boogie boarding), watching people climbing the rock wall.

Eating was easy as well--the dining room had assigned seating. Even though I couldn't be moved to a bigger table, and my tablemates weren't always there, I brought a book, and I didn't really feel like I was "alone" like I did when I was on Majesty of the Seas (where, again, I had a 4 top). Also, the buffet (if you go when it's not crowded like I did) was easy to eat at while solo, there was also a cafe with sandwiches and a pizza place (those are the free food venues). I also ate a Johnny Rockets once. Then there is room service which I didn't try (though I wanted too--just never got around to it).

You also can't beat the shows onboard: each night there was a great show, from musicals, to a flying show with acrobatics "In the Air", to a comedian, to a headliner singer, to a juggler, etc. Then there were the guest games like "Love and Marraige" and "Quest". The problem with so much to do, I couldn't go to them all! I'm a morning person: I would wake up to watch the sunrise (most days, from my balcony!!!), take the morning "Walk a mile" walk and feel like I had the ship mostly to myself since not too many people were up that early. Also, since I did have a balcony, it was a great place to retreat when I wanted some alone-time. I would bring a book out there, and sit and watch the waves (rather than read). Also, if I didn't have anything else to do (or was pushed off my balcony from the cigar smoker next door (*sigh*), then I would go up and watch the flowrider.

Anyway, all in all, it was a fantastic vacation. Oh, and the ports and excursions were awesome to:

Labadee: Parasailing and historic walking tour

Montego Bay, Jamaica: Zip line through the rain forest

George Town, Grand Cayman: Thriller boat and beach excursion

Cozumel, Mexico: Passion Island beach break

Glad you had a good time. DANG the smokers!! I always try to book a balcony, and love them, but it never fails that my neighbor is a smoker, and I have to leave every time they come out to smoke! ...I wish they would make one side of the ship "smoke free" !

Archived