Tulum

1sttimerhere

I did that excursion.

They give you a sack lunch. Seems like it was chips, fruit, cookies, milk....something like that. Then they sold beer/soda when you got back on the bus to leave.

It is a long trip! But worth it if you're really into ruins. The guide talked the whole time on the way there.....very interesting. Made the time go by quickly. On the way back I slept!

I just took this tour and if you like ruins I'd say it's worth it. The amount of time traveling doesn't feel that long - a fairly long portion of it is the ferry to the mainland, and then once you're on the bus you're entertained by the tour guide. Ours was very informative and had a good sense of humor. She talked a lot about the Mayan people in modern times and how they live and differ from other people that live in the same part of the world. There was one stop on the way to the ruins for using the bathroom (this is where they recommend changing into a bathing suit in case you want to use the beach in your free time on the excursion), and you can also buy souvenirs and take a free shot of tequila. The ruins are in a (surprisingly to me) park-like setting and it was quite beautiful, you can't climb anything but you can wander around. Our guide told stories that really brought the site to life for us - she made it possible to imagine how it would have been during ceremonies so long ago. After the guided tour you have free time to look around on your own or go to the beach. Then you meet up at the bus and they give you a snack and a drink - we had potato chips, the equivalent of a Hostess cupcake and some Ritz crackers with cheese I think. They also gave water on the way into the ruins I believe - it's hot. That's it for food, but if you have breakfast before you'll be ok - we were. On the way back the guide suggested a nap - and it was a good idea - we were worn out from walking around in the heat! All in all it was a great day for us, we really enjoyed it.

hi,

we also did this, wow it is amazing, a long trip, we had to take a ferry then the bus, but it was worth it.

im sorry but don't remember anything about food, but being gone all day i would think they would have something.

do make sure you book it through the cruise line, it is a long trip and if something happens to the bus you may miss the ship. we got back at 4 and ship left at 5.

have a great cruise

I am thinking of booking the Tulum Ruins while in Cozmel. It is a 7 hour trip and about 3 hours of that is travel. Is this worth it? Also, is there anywhere to get food on the trip? Any help from anyone who has been there would be appreciated.

We booked this excursion through Carnival on the Valor on the sailing of 9/16/07. It was well worth it.

There is a beach at Tulum and yo should have about one hour to swim in the ocean or lay on the beach. It is beautiful there (see my pics below).

We stopped at a very nice souvenir shop that sold jewelery and crafts as well as snacks on the way there. They even took US $ for payment and returned change in US $. They accepted major credit cards for purchases other than the snacks. After the ruins tour on the return bus trip they served a light snack (potato chips, cheese crackers, ding-dong and soda or water). There are restaurants in the parking lot of the ruins site.

The ferry ride from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen (mainland) takes about 30 minutes in a very nice ferry boat. That boat is air conditioned and even has a cash bar.

Our tour Guide, Lili, was excellent and narrated non-stop from the time we boarded to the bus to the time her ruins tour ended at the tour site.

TulumBeach.jpg.1a8e79956201af961cecabc534a810e7.jpg

TulumView.jpg.c5521551811bc20637706ac4058041fa.jpg

I have been on the Roll Call Board, but haven't signed up. I appreciate all this advice. I just needed some reassurance this was worth the time. I am taking this through Carnival in case we're late. Rebekah, are you still on the fence?

More stories about Tulum are welcome!

I just got home from the Glory western itinerary early this a.m. It was a wonderful, wonderful week. I went on the Tulum excursion through Carnival this past Monday. I would advise going through Carnival since it is a very long tour being 7 hours. It was well worth it. The 30 minute ferry ride went very fast then we walked a couple of blocks to the air conditioned bus. I enjoyed the bus ride. I enjoy looking at all of the scenery where ever I venture to! There is a gift shop where you get off of the bus. Some drinks and snacks available there. You can either walk to the ruin site or ride a trolley for $2.00. We were told to save the ticket then we did not have to pay another $2.00. The ruins were beautiful. Bring a swim suit then you can swim at the beach. We were not told this. So be prepared if you want to swim. A very, very beautiful beach. After the tour ends you have some free to time to either swim, walk around the ruins and take pictures (look for the iguanas roaming around freely) or go back to the gift shop. Once we got back on the bus we got a drink (water or pop) and a 'light snack' which consisted of ritz crackers and cheese, potato chips and a hostess cake. Then back we went to where we caught the ferry. A nice excusion if you want to see ruins. If you go...enjoy...

We did this excursion thru Carnival when we went to Cozumel on the Conquest this past March. If you are into ruins and history....this tour is worth it!!!! I think they gave a boxed snack, but there was also a resturant you could eat at the ruins..it was ok.o.....we were kind of hesitant to do this tour because we would miss seeing Cozumel....but it was so worth it!!!! The ruins and the beach are breathtaking!!! Warning the ferry ride to Playa del Carmen may be very bumpy.....i don't know if it was the time of year or what, but many people got sick on the ferry .....nothing to stop you from booking this excurson, ....just warning you!!!:)

We took the tour about three months ago and it was great. The lunch was a simple box lunch, but there was some food available at the location.

One thing not to forget is to take your swim suit. Tulum has one of the greatest beaches I have ever seen. In the Summer it was very warm and the swim was a welcome relief.

I will also add that the tour guide was exceptional. Extremely educated in Mexican and Mayan history; well worth listening to.

I was going to go on line now and book after reading the reviews but I'm a little worried after hearing about the boat ride and a lot of people getting sick. I'm okay as long as we are moving, but when the boat stops and starts to bob up and down.... it's a different story. Only one poster mentioned it, so I'm hoping it was just a one time thing.

Krisi, come on over to roll go and get on board for our meet and greet!!!

Rebekah

Thanks to all of you for all the good information. We have booked this tour through Celebrity's Constellation but I still appreciate any help from those of you who have done it.

Do all the lines offer the same type of lunch? Our tour is 6.5 hours. Would that timeline preclude the possibility of swimming? (I know there is a second tour offerred by Celebrity which adds another hour or so, for a beach session.)

We booked this excursion through Carnival on the Valor on the sailing of 9/16/07. It was well worth it.

There is a beach at Tulum and yo should have about one hour to swim in the ocean or lay on the beach. It is beautiful there (see my pics below).

We stopped at a very nice souvenir shop that sold jewelery and crafts as well as snacks on the way there. They even took US $ for payment and returned change in US $. They accepted major credit cards for purchases other than the snacks. After the ruins tour on the return bus trip they served a light snack (potato chips, cheese crackers, ding-dong and soda or water). There are restaurants in the parking lot of the ruins site.

The ferry ride from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen (mainland) takes about 30 minutes in a very nice ferry boat. That boat is air conditioned and even has a cash bar.

Our tour Guide, Lili, was excellent and narrated non-stop from the time we boarded to the bus to the time her ruins tour ended at the tour site.

Great review!!!

Sounds like this is the one we'll want to take on our cruise Oct 25th! On the list of excursions there are a few different excursions for the Mayan ruins, some with horseback riding, some with biking and other stuff, none of which we're into. That there is a beach where we can relax & cool off before the ride back sounds nice. And I was a little worried about only having a snack for a 7 hour excursion (and only a snack of empty-calorie junk food :() , but since you're saying there are other opportunities to buy food then we should be just fine. I'm assuming it's ok to bring our own healthier snacks if we want.

Thanks for the great info!

Great review!!!

Sounds like this is the one we'll want to take on our cruise Oct 25th! On the list of excursions there are a few different excursions for the Mayan ruins, some with horseback riding, some with biking and other stuff, none of which we're into. That there is a beach where we can relax & cool off before the ride back sounds nice. And I was a little worried about only having a snack for a 7 hour excursion (and only a snack of empty-calorie junk food :() , but since you're saying there are other opportunities to buy food then we should be just fine. I'm assuming it's ok to bring our own healthier snacks if we want.

Thanks for the great info!

I really want to do this Excursion when I go in April. And the beach time adds to yen.

Mindy, Ive heard of people bringing food from the ship in baggies, could that be an option for you?

I have a few Tulum questions and hope some of you can help! I want to first find out if there are some independent operators that all of you can recommend. I don't think time will be an issue because we will be in port from 8am to 8pm.

My second question is, when we did a tour of Tulum 20 years ago they took us to a lagoon for lunch and snorkeling that was amazing. Does anyone know what that might be called and if there are tours that still stop there.

Thanks in advance everyone!

I have a few Tulum questions and hope some of you can help! I want to first find out if there are some independent operators that all of you can recommend. I don't think time will be an issue because we will be in port from 8am to 8pm.

My second question is, when we did a tour of Tulum 20 years ago they took us to a lagoon for lunch and snorkeling that was amazing. Does anyone know what that might be called and if there are tours that still stop there.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Check the Playa Del Carmen/Calica forum. Tons of tour options. We booked with "Edventures" for our upcoming trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I read this thread. We booked Tulum 7 hr tour for our upcoming NCL Pearl cruise.

Nothing in the NCL excursion info mentions swimming, but it sure looks like a beautiful beach. The NCL pricing is about $20 a person higher than private operators, but with a 7 hour tour time, I think it's prudent to go with the guarantee that NCL offers.

Thanks for the thorough information you all provided.

• 2 weeks later...

We are going on the Carnival Conquest with a group. Several in our group want to go to the Tulum ruins. However it is not offered as an excursion so far to book online. Is this an excursion that will come up later for online booking, be available for on ship booking or is this not offered for every cruise? Thanks in advance for any help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I was on the Conquest and it took a while for the tour to show up online. Rest assured though, it went away and once we got on the ship you could book it again, though if you wait that long I would suggest you book it right away. Unfortunately, when we arrived the tour was cancelled as the waters were too rough for the ferry ride due to a storm the day before. Carnival credited us back immediately and we just took some time to walk around the stores. We are taking the Glory in March and I hope to try it again!!!

Mel

We are going on the Carnival Conquest with a group. Several in our group want to go to the Tulum ruins. However it is not offered as an excursion so far to book online. Is this an excursion that will come up later for online booking, be available for on ship booking or is this not offered for every cruise? Thanks in advance for any help.

our cruise only has 1 offering for Cozumel since they changed the port itinerary a month or so ago:rolleyes:

called the Carnival Excursion Dept; they assured me there would be an offering to Tulum; more in likely only bookable once onboard:( doesn't do much for my type A planning.

Archived