Help Me Decide - Best Snorkle Excursion

Dawn125408

This is really getting frustrating trying to decide where to snorkle:rolleyes: It's up to me to pick the place for our family of 6 - DH, DD, SIL and 2 granddaughters. Our first priority is to see the stingrays and then snorkle. We would like some beach time after and then be able to shop a little before going back to ship. We'll be there from 7 am - 4pm. Can't decide between Captain Marvin's, the Buccaneer Catamaran (grandcaymancruiseexcursions) or Moby Dick. Don't really want to be rushed on the excursion. Any suggestions:confused:

This is really getting frustrating trying to decide where to snorkle:rolleyes: It's up to me to pick the place for our family of 6 - DH, DD, SIL and 2 granddaughters. Our first priority is to see the stingrays and then snorkle. We would like some beach time after and then be able to shop a little before going back to ship. We'll be there from 7 am - 4pm. Can't decide between Captain Marvin's, the Buccaneer Catamaran (grandcaymancruiseexcursions) or Moby Dick. Don't really want to be rushed on the excursion. Any suggestions:confused:

I have taken Moby Dick twice and loved it. they will drop you at 7 mile beach on the way back afterwards if you want but it is not near the shopping. Shopping is near where you board the bus to go to Moby Dicks boat. have a blast!!!:)

We were very happy with Capt. Marvins and would reccommend them. Their office is very close to the tender pier and shopping after you return. We didn't have beach time since we were only there from 7 to 2. The line for tendering get really long, BTW.

We always use Captain Marvin's and have always had a great time. You could have CM's drop you at Royal Palms for a little beach time (after the stingray/snorkel) and then just grab a cab at Royal Palms to get back to the port area. There's a great little gift shop right next to Captain Marvin's and CM's also has a selection of souviners.

I was curious --We were thiking of using Captain Marvins but his reservation form doesnt seem secure.

Has anyone had problems with this. I ve checked it on 2 different computers. We like the times of his tours since we wouldnt have to rush off the ship as quckly

I was curious --We were thiking of using Captain Marvins but his reservation form doesnt seem secure.

Has anyone had problems with this. I ve checked it on 2 different computers. We like the times of his tours since we wouldnt have to rush off the ship as quckly

We always reserve our excursions with CM online and have never had a problem. If you have any concerns or questions, Joan or Ruth at CM's will be glad to assist you. They won't charge your credit card until you arrive at their business on the day of your excursion. If for some reason, you are not able to tender in (weather causes problems a lot), then you don't have to deal with trying to get a credit. :)

Thanks for the replys. Now - I'm down to two:p

Since your time on the island is limited, I'd go with whichever company has the earliest time for a snorkel/stingray excursion that you can make. Our first trip to GC was on a ship and our ship left at 4:30, but the last tender was at 3:45 so we didn't get to do as many things as we wanted to do.

We were there from 7-4:30 (we were there in the winter so island time and ship time was the same. We sailed out of Miami). We did an island tour from 8:30 to 10:30. Then we walked to CM's and did their short snorkel. They dropped us for lunch at Rackham's...then we had to hoof it back to the tender area. We did do our souviner shopping at CM's and the shop next door, and I'm glad, because we went directly from the late lunch to the tender line.

Thanks Twinkletoes - we will be in port from 7am-4pm.

CM is from 10-1 (actually with check-in and transport back it's 9:15-1:45). Moby Dick is also 3 hours. Their first tour leaves at 9:30 - but I'm not sure if that means check-in time or actual tour boat time (I think it means the boat leaves the dock at that time - probably have to check in about 9:00 or so). I would like to get some rum there and I think that's the island (or Cozumel) where you also get the rum cake. Is there a gift shop right near the pier that we could run into before going back to ship?

Thanks Twinkletoes - we will be in port from 7am-4pm.

CM is from 10-1 (actually with check-in and transport back it's 9:15-1:45). Moby Dick is also 3 hours. Their first tour leaves at 9:30 - but I'm not sure if that means check-in time or actual tour boat time (I think it means the boat leaves the dock at that time - probably have to check in about 9:00 or so). I would like to get some rum there and I think that's the island (or Cozumel) where you also get the rum cake. Is there a gift shop right near the pier that we could run into before going back to ship?

I don't know anything about Moby Dick's, other than I've read a lot of positive posts here, so you might email them and see what they say about the time issue.

There is a Tortuga Rum place right in town. It's to the right of the port area (if you are facing the port). It's a small white building (I believe) just before you get to the Hard Rock. They have Rum Cakes and rum (and samples available). There's also Blackbeards Rum Cakes and we've bought them at Breezes restaurant. It's located right in the middle of the port area. The building it's in has "Landmark" on the front. They have a small deck for dining that faces the port area.

I don't know how early the shops open. If they open early enough, you might be able to do some shopping before you do the stingray/snorkel trip.

As for shopping...there are several t-shirt type places, lots of high-end clothing and jewlery shops...and a couple of do-dad shops (what I look for). I collect those cheesy water globes (the cheesier, the better) and Xmas ornaments. I've found some really neat shell ornaments at the little shop next to Captain Marvin's. That shop has picture frames, shirts, refrig. magnets, ornaments...things like that.

If you're looking for basic souviners, there's a small shop near the Paradise Restaurant (although I can't remember what side it's on). They have little trinket-type things. There's also a place called the Blue Iguana, and they had quite a bit of souviners. This is in the same area as the store that's near the Paradise Restaurant.

http://www.grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/BlueIguanaGrandCayman.htm

If you have the time, there is a bigger store...but it takes a few minutes to walk there. I don't recall the name, but you would walk down Cardinal and you'll see this road that runs on a diagonal. You cross the grassy area and the shop is just across from that. It's pretty big, but you'll probably be able to find whatever you want right in the port area.

The first time we were in Grand Cayman, we were on a ship and we ended up buying our rum cakes on the ship. I believe they also sold Tortuga Rum on this ships.

There's also a Senor Frogs, Margaritavlle and Hard Rock in GC and they all sell their souviners. :)

twinkletoes: Thanks for all the shopping info:D You sure know your way around Grand Cayman! I'm going to jot all this down so when we get there I'll know pretty much on where to find everything. I'm mostly interested in the rum cake and rums - to bring home for gifts. Thanks again!

twinkletoes: Thanks for all the shopping info:D You sure know your way around Grand Cayman! I'm going to jot all this down so when we get there I'll know pretty much on where to find everything. I'm mostly interested in the rum cake and rums - to bring home for gifts. Thanks again!

We love it there. Last time we were there we looked at condos to buy. I'd love to be able to spend 3 months or so there...but I think I need a lottery win first!

We've gotten to the point that we order our Tortuga Rum Cakes online and have them shipped to us so we don't have to lug them home. Everyone always wants one, and they take up so much space, that we found this works for us. They have the mini ones that come 6 or 8 to a box. They make a perfect gift. :)

I don't know if you've read this or not, but if you eat in a restaurant, the bill will be in CD, so all you have to do is ask what it would be in USD and they will either print it on the ticket or write it out for you. Basically, if the bill is $10 it will cost you around $12 or so in USD. Also, most restaurants will add on a 15% tip to your ticket, so make sure and look for this. The first time we were there, we double tipped.

thanks so much for the answer

that does ease my mind

It's good to ask (I was concerned the first time we booked with them online), but I can say we've never had a problem. They are really nice folks. In fact, once we decided to start spending land vacations there, they guided us to different sites that helped us find a condo to rent. :)

We were on Carnival and went to the shoppping talk. They gave out a map with the places that sold Tortuga Rum and cakes and handed out coupons and samples. (Try to be the person who paints their male companion's nails.:D ) There was one on the way back to the tender on the same side of the street as Capt Marvin's. The gift shops seemed high to me, DS broke his sandals and I paid $18 for flip flops. I know, I know, everything has to be shipped in. We also went to a mall like place under Margaritaville and found souvenirs there. They also sold Big Black Dick brand rum.:D

Archived