Carry on weight checked?

Hello...

I just returned from Italy...LAX...LHR...Venice...Milan...LHR...LAX....flying on American, BMI, British Airways. We flew Business class and all airlines weighed checked baggage but did not weigh carry on. They were strict, however, about one piece of carry on per person.

I hope this is helpful.

murphysmum;)

We are flrying AA and Iberia in several weeks. Does anyone know the weight liimits on these airlines.

Also, when we get to Spain I assume that we go throught customs on the way to Iberial to BCN. How is the transfer of luggage done after customs?

Thanks, Stam

My mom and her friend traveled to London on BA in 2001, each with just a small carry-on case. On the way there (from Toronto) they were allowed to take their cases on board. But when they came back, they were told that their bags were overweight and had to check them. Neither of them bought anything while in London, so it's not like they had a bunch of souvenirs that they were trying to bring back.

Moral of the story: I think a lot depends on the airport, not just the airline.

Has anyone ever flown with Spanair? I am flying from madrid to BCN and they are telling me NO carryon's over 12lbs.. that's so unrealistic. So I guess we will have to check them, anyone have this problem before? I only have a hour layover.. don't know how this will work.

Hello...

I just returned from Italy...LAX...LHR...Venice...Milan...LHR...LAX....flying on American, BMI, British Airways. We flew Business class and all airlines weighed checked baggage but did not weigh carry on. They were strict, however, about one piece of carry on per person.

I hope this is helpful.

murphysmum;)

We just got back last week. Flew Bus Class, UA SFO to FRT, then Lft from FRT to VCE. Returning we were Bus Class, BCN to GVA (Swiss Air), GVA to FRT (Lft) then FRT to SFO (UA).

Our checked bags were weighed, in aggregate, not individually, and none was measured (although I know that our largest really pushes the total for dimension for one bag limit.)

We had two carry-on each; one with with wheels (for lap-top, batteries, hard drives, wiring, battery chargers, books, xtra clothes, etc.), and one large purse (DW) and a small back pack for me (with two cameras and full fanny pack). Never a glance at the carry-on (at least that I could see), and never weighed.

Steve

Has anyone had their carry on weighed? I've had the size checked (they didn't think it would fit in the designated "cage" but it did!) but no airline has ever weighed it (even traveling internationally several times last year where there were supposedly weight restrictions).

We're going through Amsterdam and Barcelona.

Thanks!

Emom

Yes - we did last April leaving from Barcelona - we were flying Lufthansa. I was over by approximately 1 pound - so I took shoes out of my carry-on and put them into my husband's bag. My bag's weight was then OK. I never did quite think this was worth the effort - between the 2 of us we were still "under" weight. Go figure!

• 2 weeks later...
We connected through Frankfurt ; We flew biz class - and I think that allows you more luggage weight.

As for the connections - not a big fan of either airport. Ugh. Frankfurt was the worst -

The gates are also deceiving in Frankfurt - you think you are close - but alas, 15 min of running through the airport was necessary! Seriously!

Ironically - of all the countries we visited (Italy, Vatican City, Croatia, Greece, Monaco, France, Spain) the only stamp in my passport is from Germany - where we only changed planes :( and where I would prefer to forget the experience.

Just got back last night from our Mediterranean cruise. It was heavenly, but the connection thru Frankfurt was a major pain, as usual. :cool:

I would strongly recommend connecting thru Munich, if possible. The Frankfurt airport is HUGE and I can't imagine making a connection in less than 90 min. I had to laugh when we were there at Passport Control and I remember your post---because what you said is true.....we were in several other countries on our cruise and the only stamp in our passport is from the Frankfurt airport, where we spent the entire time racing thru the airport! :eek:

On a more positive note, Lufthansa did not weigh our carry-on bags, either at JFK, Frankfurt or Venice. My rolling carry-on weighed 15 pounds and we took a lightweight duffle that weighed 12 pounds. If I could have been sure that they wouldn't weigh the bags, I would have taken another rolling carry-on, instead of lugging the duffle.

Just got back last night from our Mediterranean cruise. It was heavenly, but the connection thru Frankfurt was a major pain, as usual. :cool:

I would strongly recommend connecting thru Munich, if possible. The Frankfurt airport is HUGE and I can't imagine making a connection in less than 90 min. I had to laugh when we were there at Passport Control and I remember your post---because what you said is true.....we were in several other countries on our cruise and the only stamp in our passport is from the Frankfurt airport, where we spent the entire time racing thru the airport! :eek:

On a more positive note, Lufthansa did not weigh our carry-on bags, either at JFK, Frankfurt or Venice. My rolling carry-on weighed 15 pounds and we took a lightweight duffle that weighed 12 pounds. If I could have been sure that they wouldn't weigh the bags, I would have taken another rolling carry-on, instead of lugging the duffle.

Welcome home - so happy to hear your cruise was wonderful.

Yupper - I've made a mental note to skip Frankfurt in the future. Hopefully, others can benefit from our running through airports! Still so scary to think they weigh carry-on - it never crossed my mind. I will be more aware next time!

Still so scary to think they weigh carry-on - it never crossed my mind. I will be more aware next time!

But what is so annoying is that they are not consistent........they did NOT weigh my carry-on bags on this trip, and they did NOT weigh them on my Al-Italia flight to Rome last year.

But then, some posters both here at CC and other travel boards I frequent, report that they did weigh their carry-on bags. :cool:

A week ago today, we were in Santorini......the pic on your count-down clock makes me think I am back there!!!! ;) :)

But what is so annoying is that they are not consistent........they did NOT weigh my carry-on bags on this trip, and they did NOT weigh them on my Al-Italia flight to Rome last year.

But then, some posters both here at CC and other travel boards I frequent, report that they did weigh their carry-on bags. :cool:

A week ago today, we were in Santorini......the pic on your count-down clock makes me think I am back there!!!! ;) :)

I think that there is a point here. The airlines post a weight limit on the carry-on baggage. They have a right to weigh or not weigh - their choice. In Jun 07 we did not get weighed either way to/from Rome. Bags were within limits however.

The airlines post a weight limit on the carry-on baggage. They have a right to weigh or not weigh - their choice.

Yes, that is true, but why have a rule if you are not going to enforce it? If there is a valid reason behind that rule, then it needs to be enforced. If not, then limit the number of carry-on bags, but not the weight (like the US airlines).

Weigh them all, or don't weigh any. Then it would be clear to all passengers.

jmho.

• 3 weeks later...
British Airways is very fussy about carry-on weight and only allows one. That includes purse. They also charge for overweight on checked luggage. If you're flying BA be sure to check their website for rules.

Lloydd 726

I notice that you have indicated that you are on Millenium 2 Dec 2007 are roll call is up and running some 150 people please join us

Cruise Critic Roll Call - Website

embedded link

David

Archived