Summary of our E. Med. cruise

We recently returned from our Celebrity Galaxy cruise to the Eastern Mediterranean. Having planned the trip based on Cruise Critic posts, I thought I would report on our success.

We loved the cruise and highly recommend it. The itinerary we thought was the best of any cruise line. We spent a few days prior to departing in Rome which ended up being a good idea since our luggage was lost for 2 of the 3 days. We used Roma shuttle to transport us and 3 other couples to the port.

Our first stop was Mykonos where my husband and I rented a quad bike (we're in our 50's and felt safer on this than a scooter). We rode around on part of the island stopping to visit some of the beaches--beautiful! We then went back to town and shopped and ate a gyro at Jimmy's which we found just as good as was recommended.

Next stop was Rhodes where we had rented a car with Budget in advance. It was there waiting for us at the port and we took off before the ship's excursion buses. We drove to Lindos (didn't do the Acropolis as it was very crowded) and took pictures and then on down to Asklepiou which we loved. A cute little old man oversees the old church and museum there. We were about the only ones there and spent time viewing the paintings in the church, the old olive presses and Bibles in the museum. There is also a ruined fortress at the top which you can drive up to. We then headed back towards port stopping at Seven Springs for lunch--delicious pork and Greek salad. It was a great day there too. We drove the car back to the ship and left it there for pick up--so easy!

Next stop Santorini--a favorite. We got off the ship early and had no line riding the cable car up. We asked directions to the bus stop and rode the city bus to Oia. It was so crowded with excursions so we walked to the end of Oia and took the stairs down (can also take a taxi) to the fishing village Amoudi and enjoyed lunch and the scenery at Katena's. Sat next to a couple that were also there because of their research on Cruise Critic and actually shared a whole fish with them. We climbed the 200 or so steps back up to Oia and by then the majority of ship excursions had left so we enjoyed the village peacefully! Absolutely beautiful--hope to return there. We rode the city bus back and then we walked down the hill to the ship rather than wait in the long line for the cable car. Just wear good shoes and you'll make it fine.

Due to engine problems we were 3 hours late getting into our next stop Istanbul. We phoned our private guide from the ship (the concierge will do it for you if needed) and he was there waiting for us when we arrived. I can't say enough good things about Kagan Kosagan--we would put Istanbul at the top of our favorites because of his excellent service. Next stop--Ephesus--visited the ancient city, (be sure and see the Terrace Houses), the temple of Artemis and a Turkish village which was the home of our tour guide. We booked through Ephesus tours and were disappointed with them.

On to Athens where we got off the ship early and found the metro with the guidance of previous posts and were at the Acropolis by 9:00 before most tour groups. We used Rick Steves walking tour through the Ancient Agora, the Plaka and over to the Parliament building for the changing of the guard. Also ate at one of his recommended restaurants for souvlaki. Our final stop was Naples and probably our favorite.

We booked ahead with drive amalfi and had Adriano as our guide. He was the absolute best with his humor and singing. We had a beautiful drive along the Amalfi coast, stopping for lunch at the awesome place written about, finding Benito for gelato, and just enjoying the breathtaking beauty! We didn't want to leave the area for Pompeii but we did and met a pre-arranged guide there for a tour. It was a perfect day and a great way to end our cruise. Thanks for all your help in planning our cruise--hope this helps a future cruiser!

Our first stop was Mykonos where my husband and I rented a quad bike (we're in our 50's and felt safer on this than a scooter).

This sounds interesting, can you give me some more info. Did you book ahead or was someone at the pier? What was the cost? Were the steets crowded with other traffic? Thanks :)

The quad bike cost 30 euros plus gas (4 euros). We did not book this in advance, but just rented from the first shop we saw. We got off the ship tender and walked a couple hundred yards past the shopping area to the northeast to find the bikes. We saw other rental shops farther up the road after we got our bike, so they could have been cheaper. The shops also rented scooters. We shared a quad bike and drove to 2 beaches, then to the middle of the island, and then back to town. The bike shop gave us a map. The traffic was fairly light after we got out of town and riding to the beaches and to the middle of the island. I don't rmember more than 10 cars passing us. The highway back to town had more traffic, but the road was wide enough to drive on the far right side of the road and left the traffic pass. So we drove defensively, but felt safe. It was a great way to see the island. We would probably stay longer at the beaches if we did it again. Most of the streets in the main town of Mykonos were pedestrian only, so we walked through the town. We still had plenty of time to see the town after our ride.

Next stop--Ephesus--visited the ancient city, (be sure and see the Terrace Houses), the temple of Artemis and a Turkish village which was the home of our tour guide. We booked through Ephesus tours and were disappointed with them.

Why were you disappointed with Ephesus Tours? Do you know others who were happier with their guides and, if so, who they used?

Thanks!

Emom

The tour guide we had (I think her name was Jen) struggled with English and we felt like we could have gotten a lot more information on ancient Ephesus than what we got. She was not near the quality of tour guides that we had in Istanbul and the Amalfi Coast. I've read of other recommended tour guides for Ephesus so I would go with one of them. Ephesus is still fascinating regardless of a poor guide!

Also, a quad bike is comparable to our four wheelers in the states--we didn't pedal!

Archived