Question on Rays, Reef & Rum Point Tour

Suzwed

We have signed up for Nativeway Sports Rays, Reef & Rum Point tour for our excursion in Grand Cayman. When I booked, I asked about "older" people taking the tour, as we will have my parents with us. They are 72, but doing really well. Anyway, the lady said it should be fine...the only problem might be at Rum Point, that it gets really hot and there isn't much shade. My parents would love to go if they can handle it, but would be perfectly happy to enjoy the cruise ship while in port also, rather than get overheated or stressed. I would appreciate input from anyone who has taken this tour? ;) Thanks!

Just did this tour Sept. 20th..LOVE LOVE LOVED IT!! Best excursion day by far. The people at NativeWay are fantastic. Chris was our guide, would highly recommend him!

72 is not that old, and if they're in good health, I see NO reason why they couldn't go. You take a bus from port to their boat. The boat is large, plenty of seating w/ a top for shade. First you stop by the Rays, so fun (a little scary) but you don't have to get out if you don't want to. After the Rays, to the Reef for snorkling. BEST snorkling I've ever done. Lots of colorful, different kinds of fish! After snorkling to Rum Point. You have to walk down a somewhat long pier to land, but after that, everythings right there. I noticed plenty of shade, with tons of seating, even hammocks. You're going later towards winter anyway, so I don't think the heat would be that bad anyways. (mid 80's)

Just my opinion, but I think they'd do fine!

HAVE FUN!!

• 2 weeks later...

I too did this tour with Chris and its fab, 5 of us went on it and had a great time, lunch was amazing, if you like spicy get the jerk pork! there is plenty of shade at Rum point, its a lovely place very peaceful. You can stand in the water at Stingray city I am 5"4 and it came to my waist, I took my own snorkel gear as I have it, but they also have all the gear and lifevests if you want them. At the snorkelling stop you can use flippers if you want, I find it just makes it hard work for me, your choice. watershoes, Mmmm the only place they might be handy is at rum point there were a few stones,pebbles when getting in the water there. But they have great shower facilities etc.

Recently, 14 of us took the R, R, R tour also, with Nativeways. EVERYONE in the group, including my 72-year old mom, loved it!!!! Don't worry about the heat, even if it's hot at Rum Point, the water is fine. Besides, there's a bunch of shade trees (someone said they're "Australian Pines"), and a covered bar.

Someone in one of the above posts mentioned "Chris". If that was our guide (I forgot his name), he is from British Honduras (Belize), and has a strange, charming accent. He was great with the Rays, and at the reef, he even dived down and grabbed a lobster, so my girlfriend could take a picture. The R, R, R tour was the highlight of our cruise...

My husband and I are just back from our cruise on the Norwegian Pearl and did this tour on 10-17-07. We loved it!!! Never would have known about it without Cruise Critic.

We were on the Pearl and got into port at 10:00am and of course had to tender. Native Way was willing to work with our ships port time and start a tour later. We met up by 11:15 and headed to the bus. We were the only ship in port that day and had 12 people on our tour. Never felt crowded. The bus ride was about 15 minutes, I would guess. I had never been to Grand Cayman before and enjoyed seeing some of the island.

We arrived at the marina and met up with boat and our driver Chris. The boat had plenty of space for the 12 of us and could easily handle more passengers. The boat was nice and clean. We headed out and picked up our photographer, George, I think. He was Scottish.

At our first stop Chris dove off the back of the boat and brought up starfish for us to hold.

1674392186_182efe4f17.jpg

1673541353_271cc90dfd.jpg

Next stop, Stingray City. The water was warm, clear, shallow and beautiful. When we arrived there was only one other boat and a few people on a jetski. Chris wrangled a few rays for us. We started out just petting one. Then moved on to holding and feeding. Some even got a back massage from the rays.

1674410930_665f1d0e71.jpg

1674426248_9ac6ba263d.jpg

1674633102_e00a11c3cd.jpg

The last picture was one taken by the Native Way photographer. Pictures were $20 for the first one and $10 for each picture after that. I purchased three, but George threw in another shot for free. What a nice guy! Once we got to Rum Point the photographer sat in the bar and you could visit him there to see your photos. He would then burn what you bought to a disc.

Our next stop was at the barrier reef for some snorkeling. This area was very near Stingray City. You could see the boats there as well as Rum Point. We hoped right in and did some snorkeling. Saw a huge lobster. Clarity was decent and saw a number of fish. Nothing bigger than a foot or so long. Well, I did see one small stingray. Enjoyed the snorkeling.

1674441600_a0d2a1181b.jpg

1673591053_516c6d77b6.jpg

Back on the boat, Chris rinsed us off with the hose to get rid of the salt water. We looked over menus and ordered our lunch. After a short ride we arrived at Rum Point Beach where our lunch was waiting. Scot had the Fish and Chips. It was delicious grouper. I had the Jerk Pork sandwich and fries. it was yummy as well. Water and tea were available. The bar was open, but we had to pay for any drinks other than the tea and water.

I had a Rum Runner. They were NOT stingy on the alcohol. Warning: I was able to pay for my drink with US funds, but my change was Cayman currency. I did spend that money later. Otherwise, my drink would have been $20. It was half that anyway. Not cheap. After lunch, we walked around a bit and then settled in some lounge chairs, but I didn't stay there long. The water was so beautiful. I had to get in. We were able to go way put and the water was only to our chest. There was plenty of shade when we were there in the afternoon. Sandy beach.

1673594881_825b299f68.jpg

1674461508_c127c0bdca.jpg

1673598625_86a5e65171.jpg

1674469622_61bb4615f9.jpg

1673600531_9677943d3b.jpg

Before long, it was time to head back. Took the boat back to the marina and the bus back to the port. Chris had asked us what time our last tender would be and planned to get us back to the port an hour or two before then. They delivered us back to the pier as promised. We had a wonderful day and didn't feel rushed in the least. Although, I easily could have spent more time at the beach. Can't wait to return to Grand Cayman.

To answer some of the questions:

No one in our tour wore a wetsuit, but it wouldn't be a problem. I don't think you will look out of place. In October, the water is very warm so we didn't them to keep us warm.

I wore flip flops on the boat. There is very soft sand at Stingray City. Wore their flippers when snorkeling. Did not have a problem in bare feet at the beach.

As far as the tour being for a 72 year old. Really depends on the person. Are they active people? There was certainly shade to be had on the boat and on the beach. In one of my pictures you can see part of the ladder to get on and off the boat. Can they climb a ladder? On a boat bouncing in the waves? If they want to get in the water with the stingrays and snorkel thay will have to climb in and out of the water.

I'm not sure how deep the water was where we snorkeled. The guide sayed it was about 10 feet where we entered, but it appeared to be deeper in other areas. They do have life vests available. About half our group used them. In Stingray City, I think the depth changes with the tide. It was shallow while we were there. Proabably 2.5 - 4 feet where we were.

I have to completely agree with everything travel mom said. We just got back yesterday and Nativeway was the highlight of our trip. By the way, there was a man on our ship--at least 72-- and the guides were super great with him, both helping him on and off the boat at stingray city and making sure he was taken care of at the beach. I was very impressed with them. My 12 yr old girls were really taken care of as well. This tour was ran with ran with safety as a top priority and you could tell. One thing that I really liked too was that they encouraged you to take photos and video and didn't have someone doing this for them then giving you the high pressure sale to buy the video at the end. Also, they never once mentioned that you should tip them if you liked the service. We did tip them but only because we enjoyed them so much. Only about 20 people on our tour and we were one of the 1st boats to stingray city so we had lots of friendly and hungry rays to play with. Dont even bother taking your wet suit. You will not need it. We didnt take ours and it would have been a bother if we did. We did take our own snorkel gear though. I did this tour last year with Captain Brians and although I liked them last year, I would book with Nativeway again in the future. Oh, and I almost forgot--the food at Rum Point was great. Conch fritters---Yumm!

~pugmommy

P.S. at Rum Point, dont miss the crabs running around the rocks! The baby ones are super cute.

Archived