Port of Miami Car Rental

APagano

Looking for suggestions. Here's my situation: Debarking from Majesty on Monday 9/20. Flight leaving FLL 6:45pm. I figure that even If we are the last people off the ship we will still have a few hours to visit my relatives in the Fort Lauderdale area before taking off. Will need a rental car for this purpose.

I have read on Cruise Critic that Avis has a location at the Port of Miami, but I could not find a record of that on Avis' website. Is there a rental car counter there?

I see that most of the car rental companies have locations in South Beach. Will it be easy for us to catch a cab from the port to the SoBe rental places or should I catch one of the shuttles to the airport and rent there? Not sure which would be more time-consuming.

Ideally we would like to get a rental car close to the port and zip up to Tamarac for a visit with my relatives, then drop off the car at FLL before our return flight.

Any ideas/suggestions or experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated. thanks!!

Alex

• 1 year later...

Just to let everyone know that Avis just opened up a downtown location for pickup/dropoff (code M6I) This makes it much easier and cheaper than having to all the way to the airport.

Our daily rate for a minivan pickup from FLL and dropoff 1 day later at M6I is $85. Going the opposite direction a week later is $80. Pretty reasonable, since we are a family of 6! iT also allowed us to fly into FLL at a $200PP savings! Rock on!

I have read on Cruise Critic that Avis has a location at the Port of Miami, but I could not find a record of that on Avis' website. Is there a rental car counter there?

No there are no on-site car rental agencys at Port of Miami

I see that most of the car rental companies have locations in South Beach. Will it be easy for us to catch a cab from the port to the SoBe rental places or should I catch one of the shuttles to the airport and rent there? Not sure which would be more time-consuming.

The shuttle to the airport would be more time-consuming. Take a cab to Avis new downtown rental location, 5 minutes from the port less then $10 cab fare. Call:

Avis Downtown Miami - M6I

99 Southeast 2nd Street, (at Southeast 1st Avenue),

Miami, FL 33131 , U S A

(1) 305-379-1317

Sun 08:00AM-04:00PM; Mon-Fri 08:00AM-06:00PM; Sat 08:00AM-04:00PM

Ideally we would like to get a rental car close to the port and zip up to Tamarac for a visit with my relatives, then drop off the car at FLL before our return flight.

Any ideas/suggestions or experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated. thanks!! Alex

Alex, go with Avis at their new downtown Miami location it couldn't be easier.

Archived