Question for Kindlychap and other WCC enthusiasts

cruisegal101

I know that asking how cold it gets has a fairly evident answer but are you able to spend much time on the outside decks during winter crossings? And, on your crossings during winter is it day upon day of rough seas? I am talking to my travel agent about the possibility of a winter crossing and am curious as to your response. Rough seas do not bother me--have travelled north and south from Dover to Russia and Scandinavian countries and experienced very rough seas on "cruise" ships--any comparison to the Atlantic during winter? I expect that the "ride" will be much more tolerable on a liner than on a cruise ship. Any thoughts from you would be sincerely appreciated.

I know that asking how cold it gets has a fairly evident answer but are you able to spend much time on the outside decks during winter crossings? And, on your crossings during winter is it day upon day of rough seas? I am talking to my travel agent about the possibility of a winter crossing and am curious as to your response. Rough seas do not bother me--have travelled north and south from Dover to Russia and Scandinavian countries and experienced very rough seas on "cruise" ships--any comparison to the Atlantic during winter? I expect that the "ride" will be much more tolerable on a liner than on a cruise ship. Any thoughts from you would be sincerely appreciated.

The major factor with cold is the wind. Take a decent coat, and you'll be okay. If the wind is really high, you'll not be allowed out.

The weather can be almost anything. The worst North Atlantic weather I have had was a force 10 in April 2004 - waves going over the bridge - waves, not spray (we had our front balcony flooded by one to several inches!)

Obviously the ship will be more stable than a cruise barge. You've recognised that yourself. She's a game old girl and rides the waves well. Ian McNaught seems to like the bumpy bits but he'll have to bear in mind that Queen Victoria isn't going to want to go through them herself!

From your questions I infer you haven't been on Queen Elizabeth 2 yet. She has five transatlantics left. Three westbound (January, September and October) and two Eastbound (April and October). The only one you'll have any realistic chance of getting on AND doing westbound (which is the way to go) is the January crossing.

You'll have the benefit (assuming you feel that it is a benefit) of my company, and many other fine travellers. You'll not regret it.

Matthew

Thank you Matthew. I have been on QEII once but it was years ago and I have never sailed in winter except from Florida ports to warm weather spots. Actually, the one that I am looking at is the westbound in January. I truly want to book the trip but most of my friends are unwilling (i.e., not brave enough) to do this so if I do make the decision to go, I will graciously accept any advice that you can offer and I know that I would benefit from that advice.

Thanks so much--it really does seem to be a true adventure!

Bettie

Hi Bettie

Just to say "hello" as I am in pretty much the same position as you - a bit scared of he weather, but nevertheless wanting the t/a experience. Previously I've really only done warm weather cruising, and have been on QE2 Sydney to Hong Kong. I am travelling alone, (apart from Cruise Critic friends, of course!) westbound in January, and then staying on board until Sydney, so will be doing just about half the world cruise. Hope you decide to come aboard and look forward to catching up with you if you do. Cheers, Chris

Hi Bettie

Just to say "hello" as I am in pretty much the same position as you - a bit scared of he weather, but nevertheless wanting the t/a experience. Previously I've really only done warm weather cruising, and have been on QE2 Sydney to Hong Kong. I am travelling alone, (apart from Cruise Critic friends, of course!) westbound in January, and then staying on board until Sydney, so will be doing just about half the world cruise. Hope you decide to come aboard and look forward to catching up with you if you do. Cheers, Chris

We've made three transatlantic crossings -- all in June. On two of them, the weather was so rough the ships crew tied the deck chairs to the railings and closed the entrances to the promenade deck. If that was in June, you might not expect much better weather in January. However, the onboard activities were great, so we didn't regret the loss of deck time too much.

Hi Bettie

Thank you Chris. I am giving it serious consideration and will post back here when I book--I am thinking positively about it so I choose not to use "if" I book.

We've made three transatlantic crossings -- all in June. On two of them, the weather was so rough the ships crew tied the deck chairs to the railings and closed the entrances to the promenade deck. If that was in June, you might not expect much better weather in January. However, the onboard activities were great, so we didn't regret the loss of deck time too much.

Thank you RMVET--my biggest concern is that I am a fresh air fanatic and would hate to not be able to get out a bit from time to time on the TA and I do know that on a winter crossing it might be a limited amount of time. I am just sorry that I have waited so late to pursue this--it has been on my to do list for some time.

I spend a lot of time on the open decks, even in winter.

Not once on my winter crossings have I seen all the decks closed due to weather, save for the forward Sun Deck which is almost always closed on a crossing regardless of weather conditions.

Many people are out on deck during the day. A coat, scarf, gloves, and hat will take care of the chill.

There are places to sit out of the wind, and the largest of them has a bar that stays open throughout the day. :) Afternoon tea is served there as well.

The deck sports tournements are always well attended, and get plenty of use anyway.

The pool even gets plenty of use on days that are not too rough, as do the hot tubs.

QE2 cuts through heavy seas like the throughbread champ she is, in seas that put the standard cruise ships running scared.

It's what she was built to do, it's what she does best. :D

Sure, you'll motion, but most of us can take it... :rolleyes:

I spend a lot of time on the open decks, even in winter.

The pool even gets plenty of use on days that are not too rough, as do the hot tubs.

QE2 cuts through heavy seas like the throughbread champ she is, in seas that put the standard cruise ships running scared.

It's what she was built to do, it's what she does best. :D

Sure, you'll motion, but most of us can take it... :rolleyes:

Kyle--thank you. I have seen many of your postings and appreciate all of the information I have garnered from them. I really do want to do this and am waiting on pricing for single occupancy--we will see what the numbers come in at and what categories are still available. But I surely would like to do a winter crossing on QEII before she goes to her final resting place.

I really do appreciate the comments of the experienced winter crossing folks.

Bettie

I've been trying to remember the weather from my Winter crossings:

QE2 Westbound Trans Atlantic January 2007 - quite mild

QE2 Westbound Trans Atlantic January 2006 - quite rough but not too cold

Caronia Westbound Trans Atlantic January 2004 - rough but mild (Southern route to Fort Lauderdale)

QE2 Westbound Trans Atlantic December 2002 - very rough & very cold (snow)

On only one crossing has the weather been so rough that they had to close the Lido buffet and did passenger numbers in the dining room thin out substantially. If you don't like rough weather make sure your cabin is midships (and certainly not forward of the A staircase) and low down - the much derided Mauretania cabins on 5 deck are the most stable on the ship......

Peter

So interesting to read all the comments about the weather as l too was wondering what to expect next Oct.

Last time l crossed the Atlantic was in Oct 1971 with a skeleton crew, no passengers and terribly rough seas!

Noted what Matthew said regarding warm coats etc, perhaps you could tell me please do any of the ladies still wear furs on the TA crossings.

Thank You

Jackie

Thank you kind sir, I shall not make this mistake again except I don't know how to change it in my signature??????:confused:

The easiest way is to start from scratch again.

Painful experience tells me that amendments give me more grief!

Matthew

Not once on my winter crossings have I seen all the decks closed due to weather, save for the forward Sun Deck which is almost always closed on a crossing regardless of weather conditions.

Our first crossing together was fearsome weather - and there were times when the outside was out of bounds. Mind you, it made that bumpy bit in January seem like a billiard table.....

We had a balcony, but that was the only way of getting out.

I can't recall any other time - and that particular crossing was April.

Matthew

Wheretonext???

Kyle and Mathew have given you lots of good info.

I was able to walk on the decks in a light sweater during my Jan 06 crossing. But what you will get is up to King Neptune...

I know that we went 200 miles south to improve weather and temps...

The captain usually tries to avoid the worst weather... Which bothers the Winter Crossing Club.

Tom in Long Beach

Well, I did it!!! Booked on Jan 6 westbound--I think I have taken leave of my senses after being on these boards for only two days!!! I am so excited I can hardly stand it. Went out with friends today for my birthday and was telling them that it was something that I really wanted to do while the opportunity is still here, came home and treated myself to a long-awaited birthday present!!!

I am now praying (and not really religious) that I won't chicken out!!! Keep the good info coming!!!

Bettie

Archived