Carnival Cruise Problem...HELP!

WB1080

My name is Whitney. My boyfriend won a cruise at work that has to be used by February. They won't let us book the cruise together because he is 24 and apparently Carnival has a rule that if you are not over 21 then you have to be rooming with someone over 25.:confused:

The only thing I can think to do is find some others who are going on the cruise and over 25. Would it be a problem for us to say we were rooming with other people on paper and switch once we got there?

Has anyone else had this problem (or found a solution), or better yet, is anyone cruising out of New Orleans in early January? ;)

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

My name is Whitney. My boyfriend won a cruise at work that has to be used by February. They won't let us book the cruise together because he is 24 and apparently Carnival has a rule that if you are not over 21 then you have to be rooming with someone over 25.:confused:

The only thing I can think to do is find some others who are going on the cruise and over 25. Would it be a problem for us to say we were rooming with other people on paper and switch once we got there?

Has anyone else had this problem (or found a solution), or better yet, is anyone cruising out of New Orleans in early January? ;)

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

You've got the right idea. Find another couple, family, etc. to go with. Book so that one person in each cabin is 25 or older, then you can switch once you get onboard. People do that all the time. Parents will get adjoining cabins, for example, and they will sleep in one cabin and their kids will sleep in the other. How neat that he won a cruise! You definitely need to find someone who can go with y'all! Just book a cheap inside room, anything to make sure y'all are on that ship!! Good luck!!:)

My family is going on a cruise in two weeks. We have both my husband and I in one room and both our kids in another. I thought we would have to put one parent in each room to satisfy the rule of one person over 25 in the room, but they let us do it. Well, my TA did it and there's been no question at all about it. We got our documents last week and everything's set!

We did book an excursion for all of us and you had to do it by room. They have my son listed as the POC for his room. Their system wouldn't let me put in my name. Hope he doesn't lose them! YIKES!

You've got the right idea. Find another couple, family, etc. to go with. Book so that one person in each cabin is 25 or older, then you can switch once you get onboard. People do that all the time. Parents will get adjoining cabins, for example, and they will sleep in one cabin and their kids will sleep in the other. How neat that he won a cruise! You definitely need to find someone who can go with y'all! Just book a cheap inside room, anything to make sure y'all are on that ship!! Good luck!!:)

Sheri, I have a better idea, we could go with her, being older and all :eek:

To the OP, hope you get this straighten out and have a wonderful cruise. You should not be punished because you are young :D

My family is going on a cruise in two weeks. We have both my husband and I in one room and both our kids in another. I thought we would have to put one parent in each room to satisfy the rule of one person over 25 in the room, but they let us do it. Well, my TA did it and there's been no question at all about it. We got our documents last week and everything's set!

We did book an excursion for all of us and you had to do it by room. They have my son listed as the POC for his room. Their system wouldn't let me put in my name. Hope he doesn't lose them! YIKES!

It is different if the parents are travelling together with the children. Your rooms are most likely close to each other.

Pay for my room and I'll meet ya down there I'm 42 and have kids older than you....LOL....

Whitney, Renee and I are the same age (ok, ok, I'm 43!) and I honestly think that you will hate going on this cruise, and therefore i think i can speak for Renee and say that she and I would be willing to take this cruise off y'alls hands!:D ;) ;) :D No, we don't know each other, but we are busy moms who need a break, and what better way to get THAT break than with YOUR free cruise?:D ;)

Ok I'll keep you two in mind...lol We're trying to get it all figured out so I'll repost later and let you all know the outcome. Who knows there might be some really cheap cruise tickets for sale...:(

Ok I'll keep you two in mind...lol We're trying to get it all figured out so I'll repost later and let you all know the outcome. Who knows there might be some really cheap cruise tickets for sale...:(

I WAS just teasing, of course! I hope y'all get it all figured out so you can go!!! Good luck!!!:)

Guest jxw7691

Isn't that discrimination, over the age of 18 you are able to vote, work, own property (in most countries). At 19 I had worked in Europe and had my own flat and job.

Isn't that discrimination, over the age of 18 you are able to vote, work, own property (in most countries). At 19 I had worked in Europe and had my own flat and job.

Believe it was Frommers cruise guide that had the specific reasoning behind this.

It stated that, many years ago, a Carnival ship was nearly 'taken over' by a high school spring break crowd. Aside from preventing the more 'seasoned' guests from enjoying their cruise, the crew had their hands full trying to supervise them and chaos/safety issues ensued.

Fortunately, or unfortunately (depending on your point of view;) ) they spoiled it for the responsible younger guests who want to sail unaccompanied. Do know my DS who was considered mature enough to be a police officer, couldn't sail with his friends last year just a month shy of 21st birthday.

Possibly, but they're a private company with none of their ships registered in the US, so they can pretty much do what they want.

My vote is to NOT get married at 19! I vote she stows away in his suitcase! Or get another passenger to "adopt" her as their child, then she can make a move once onboard. Lots of other less "permanent" options, lol.:D

In theory you are correct, but since this ship is a foreign ship, do the rules change even though Carnival is American based?

In theory you are correct, but since this ship is a foreign ship, do the rules change even though Carnival is American based?

Nope, in general age discrimination is allowed in the US unless you are over the age of 40. It's the reason states are allowed to restrict people from getting married without parental consent before a certain age, limit drinking before age 21, etc.

Nope, in general age discrimination is allowed in the US unless you are over the age of 40. It's the reason states are allowed to restrict people from getting married without parental consent before a certain age, limit drinking before age 21, etc.

And most car rental companies will not rent to someone under the age of 25...

We were told by the cruise director on a recent sailing that Carnival had numerous episodes of cabins being trashed by high school/college kids and that was the reason for instituting the "one person per cabin must be at least 25" rule.

That is just what you need to do. How old are you?

One other option is to get married before the cruise:D

UH NO! :eek: :D I am the mother of younguns this age and I can tell you that is NOT the solution :D (and if you are my daughter and/or son and take this advice I will kill you):confused:

Believe it was Frommers cruise guide that had the specific reasoning behind this.

It stated that, many years ago, a Carnival ship was nearly 'taken over' by a high school spring break crowd. Aside from preventing the more 'seasoned' guests from enjoying their cruise, the crew had their hands full trying to supervise them and chaos/safety issues ensued.

Fortunately, or unfortunately (depending on your point of view;) ) they spoiled it for the responsible younger guests who want to sail unaccompanied. Do know my DS who was considered mature enough to be a police officer, couldn't sail with his friends last year just a month shy of 21st birthday.

And my son who was deployed and is now in San Diego can't go on a cruise by himself either. Yet Uncle Sam trusts him enough to repair F-18's...go figure that one. (although after hearing how the flightline crew and even the pilots makes use of the cockpit oxygen after DET in Key West, maybe I should understand:D )

I have definitely gotten a lot of information from all of your replies. I do understand why they have that policy, but I am planning to write and call Carnival to see if they make any exceptions. Seeing that it is off season, there isn't a large group off us going, and that we are almost at the right age, perhaps they make exceptions. All I know is that I love cruising (have been twice before), and I am responsible enough not to trash the room or be disruptive. Maybe if we offer to make a security deposit or something they'll let us! I want to go so bad!

Thanks for all of your help!:)

Archived