Age Difficulties...

WB1080

Princess is 21

Princess is actually 18 to sail by themselves.

And the age to sail by yourself has nothing to do with the age required to gamble and drink, which is usually different on most cruiselines.

Costa is 25 years of age requred for one of the passengers, came as Carnival. That is their published minor policy from their brochure. Princess is 21, RCCL is 21, Celebrity/Azamara is 21, NCL is 21, HAL is 25, so make sure. There is no uniform age across the board. Cunard says 18 for drinking and gambling, but that may not fly for the US since most states are at 21, and they may not be able to indulge in US ports (St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, etc.)

It's strange how the age policies are over the board when so many are controlled by one company.

Hi Seawyllow,

I got my information from, a/the, leading discount cruise TA website. A US site which stated:-

Age Restrictions One person must be 21 or older

This was for Costa Magica

Cunard and P&O are UK based where the age of majority is 18 and would find it difficult to change that.

I know UK travelers using US lines have come across this problem of different starting ages.

The clear analogy is, if someone is old enough to fight and get killed for their country, then they should be old enough to drink and have their own cabin on a ship.

As I have said before I am glad I am just over the Carnival age limit:rolleyes:.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Princess is actually 18 to sail by themselves.

And the age to sail by yourself has nothing to do with the age required to gamble and drink, which is usually different on most cruiselines.

I guess I have to beg to differ. Princess' published rules for minors traveling alone, and any passenger under the age of 21, must be accompanied by an adult at least 21 years of age.

And the age to drink and gamble does matter when you are in a US port like NY and the age to drink is 21 and the ship allows it at 18, the ship must conform to the local laws. The ship can be heavily fined if it breaks the local laws. Princess will not serve alcohol to anyone under 21 even if they are in Europe since that is company policy.

Hi Seawyllow,

I got my information from, a/the, leading discount cruise TA website. A US site which stated:-

Age Restrictions One person must be 21 or older

This was for Costa Magica

Cunard and P&O are UK based where the age of majority is 18 and would find it difficult to change that.

I know UK travelers using US lines have come across this problem of different starting ages.

The clear analogy is, if someone is old enough to fight and get killed for their country, then they should be old enough to drink and have their own cabin on a ship.

As I have said before I am glad I am just over the Carnival age limit:rolleyes:.

Dai

Hi Dai,

I am also a TA, and Costa has it published in the back of their brochures, which is basically the "bible" of rules for the cruise lines. It states 25.

You are right about Cunard and P&O since they are European. But they also have to observe local laws when in ports, and in the US, drinking age is 21.

My main point is to check and double check since each cruise line has their own rules. Even with one corporate parent (Carnival, Royal), they differ.

how strict is carnival really? last summer my dtr's husbands x-wife took his son on a cruise and didn't obtain a letter from him stating it was o.k. for the boy to be taken out of country (dad would have gladly written a letter)---i kept saying carnival will never let them on the ship---but they did--without any problems. so i'm wondering just how strict are they? kind of off topic--sorry

Hi Dai,

I am also a TA, and Costa has it published in the back of their brochures, which is basically the "bible" of rules for the cruise lines. It states 25.

You are right about Cunard and P&O since they are European. But they also have to observe local laws when in ports, and in the US, drinking age is 21.

My main point is to check and double check since each cruise line has their own rules. Even with one corporate parent (Carnival, Royal), they differ.

Christine,

Regarding Princess and drinking, I will check but I am sure if the cruise is ex UK the rule will be 18. If it were not it would put off a number of customers and not just the young ones.

I will get back to you.

Dai

how strict is carnival really? last summer my dtr's husbands x-wife took his son on a cruise and didn't obtain a letter from him stating it was o.k. for the boy to be taken out of country (dad would have gladly written a letter)---i kept saying carnival will never let them on the ship---but they did--without any problems. so i'm wondering just how strict are they? kind of off topic--sorry

This law has been changed. It is no longer necessary to have a notarized letter from one parent to allow the other parent to take the child out of the country. That is not to say that the law has been changed in other countries, specifically the DR and Mexico. The DR may give you trouble, so if the itinerary goes there, I would have it just in case.

And the age to drink and gamble does matter when you are in a US port like NY and the age to drink is 21 and the ship allows it at 18, the ship must conform to the local laws. The ship can be heavily fined if it breaks the local laws.

This is incorrect. Until the last year RCCL sold alcohol to 18 to 20 year olds on cruises out of US ports with no issue at all, even before they left ports in the US. They changed the rules but not because of issues with local laws. NCL may still do it but I am not as familiar with their rules. RCCL allows gambling at age 18, except on its Alaska cruises, and continues to do so.

I guess I have to beg to differ. Princess' published rules for minors traveling alone, and any passenger under the age of 21, must be accompanied by an adult at least 21 years of age.

I know that if I go to any major travel agency right now or called Princess directly I could book a cruise on Princess as long as at least one person in the room is 18.

Duh... how does that help the OP. She is not sailing Celebrity and does not have teenage kids she is concerned about. Her case would be analogous to your 15 and 16 yr olds sailing by themselves.

Ides of March - Duh, I wasn't responding to the OP. I was responding to the person who said it was a Homeland Security Issue. I stated it was a cruiseline policy. Every cruiseline has their own policy which has nothing to do with Homeland Security. As an example I used Celebrity, which allows teenagers under 21 to be booked in a cabin together (as far as I know HAL and Carnival do not). Of course they need to have an adult on the ship.

I know that if I go to any major travel agency right now or called Princess directly I could book a cruise on Princess as long as at least one person in the room is 18.

Wrona, here's what I found on the Princess website:

5. AGE REQUIREMENTS; DRINKING AGE; GAMING AGE; ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES.

The minimum Passenger age is 6 months on Alaska, Canada/New England, Caribbean, Europe, Mexico, Trans-canal and

Australia/New Zealand cruises, and 12 months on all other cruises. Passengers under the age of 21 years must be accompanied by a Passenger 21 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the cruise. Each Passenger hereby agrees and warrants that he/she will supervise any Passenger in his/her care at all times to ensure all policies, along with all other rules

of the Carrier and ship, are strictly adhered to by all Passengers under their supervision.

Where did you see that you can book at 18 years of age?

Where did you see that you can book at 18 years of age?

I haven't found it on Princess's website but I have started reservations for Princess on two major travel agencies website and they both say that at least one party has to be a minimum of 18 to book. If you try to book other cruiselines it gives those ages as well.

For example for Princess it says:

Make sure that at least one passenger in the stateroom is 18 years or older. Passengers under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult 21 years of age or older in the same stateroom.

For RCCL it says:

Make sure that at least one passenger in the stateroom is 21 years or older.

Princess's policy has been 18 to book for years (same as Disney). Maybe they've got the cruise contract written that way in case they decide to change it at some point in the future.

Direct from the PRINCESS passenger contract. I found it on their website, but also recieved it in print when we got our docs.

." AGE REQUIREMENTS; DRINKING AGE; GAMING AGE; ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES.

The minimum Passenger age is 6 months on Alaska, Canada/New England, Caribbean, Europe, Mexico, Trans-canal and Australia/New Zealand cruises, and 12 months on all other cruises. Passengers under the age of 21 years must be accompanied by a Passenger 21 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the cruise. Each Passenger hereby agrees and warrants that he/she will supervise any Passenger in his/her care at all times to ensure all policies, along with all other rules of the Carrier and ship, are strictly adhered to by all Passengers under their supervision.

No alcohol may be purchased or consumed by any Passengers under the age of 21. No Passenger under the age of 21 shall be permitted to engage in any gaming activities on board the ship. No Passenger under the age of 18 shall be permitted to purchase cigarettes or tobacco products. Passengers hereby agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption. You must surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier for safekeeping, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A corkage fee of $15.00 per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s restaurants."

Untill recently, Princess' minimum age to book a cruise was 18, but it has now changed to one passenger needing to be 21. You can't book a cruise at 18, but you can accompany someone on a cruise who is 21 or older. That's not from me...its from their passenger contract. I believe up untill this last Aug., they did allow individuals who were 18 to book, but that is no longer the case.

This is incorrect. Until the last year RCCL sold alcohol to 18 to 20 year olds on cruises out of US ports with no issue at all, even before they left ports in the US. They changed the rules but not because of issues with local laws. NCL may still do it but I am not as familiar with their rules. RCCL allows gambling at age 18, except on its Alaska cruises, and continues to do so.

But I am not talking about last year, I am talking about now. The age is 21 for Royal. Of course, the occasional infraction will happen, just as kids find ways to drink in clubs and buy booze, but it still is against the law. I also said in port, not out past the 12 mile marker that makes it international waters. Then the cruise line can serve to 18 year olds.

I can also tell you that the Princess system will kick out the res with only an 18 year old on it. Any agent can tell you what they want, but unless the ship is privately chartered, the rules are as stated in the brochure and on the web site. If someone was to get by the system and book the cruise, they would be denied boarding in port.

This is something I have always been careful about and stay on top of since I also do the occasional group of kids and most of the time, unless there are enough parents going, I end up sending the kids to land resorts. :cool:

Princess changed their age policy to 21 this past summer, actually in July of '07. It was in response to the two college age kids who fell off the Princess ship while participating in an adult activity on the balcony, while supposedly drunk. They were luckily found, nude, in the water after a number of hours. After that incident, and a number of incidents where 18-20 year olds were trashing cabins and public spaces on their ships, Princess decided to change their age policy to 21. So the cruise lines that allow 18 year olds to cruise alone are: Disney, Crystal and Cunard.

Princess changed their age policy to 21 this past summer, actually in July of '07. It was in response to the two college age kids who fell off the Princess ship while participating in an adult activity on the balcony, while supposedly drunk. They were luckily found, nude, in the water after a number of hours. After that incident, and a number of incidents where 18-20 year olds were trashing cabins and public spaces on their ships, Princess decided to change their age policy to 21. So the cruise lines that allow 18 year olds to cruise alone are: Disney, Crystal and Cunard.

And P&O and other UK cruise lines.

Dai

And the age to drink and gamble does matter when you are in a US port like NY and the age to drink is 21 and the ship allows it at 18, the ship must conform to the local laws. The ship can be heavily fined if it breaks the local laws. Princess will not serve alcohol to anyone under 21 even if they are in Europe since that is company policy.

Hi again Christine,

I have been asking around on the P&O site and every one who replied says that 18+ have been buying drinks on Princess out of Southampton. In particular Sea Princess which is heavily marketed in the UK.

I believe that this ship runs with a large % of Brits through the summer and they would not understand any change in UK booze laws. How ever I would say that most, if not all, 18 to 21 year old passengers would be with their parents.

Dai

Our last cruise, we went with a group, including 2 cousins who were under 21 at the time. Our solution was to "split" one of the couples for registration and simply moved bags once they were delivered. Was very simple on RCCL and they were very understanding about it. No one was kicked off and everyone had a great time.

I would think that would be easy to establish if each partner can produce a driver's license with the same address. I would not think a same sex "marriage" certificate would be needed.

Actually, I doubt this is correct. It seems pretty clear to me that you do need some sort of document to prove your union. Providing legal documentation of your partnership/union is more than just proving you have the same address.

Otherwise, what is there to prevent two college roommates who live together and are buddies, want to go on a cruise, so they pretend they are "more than friends" since both are not yet 21?

It's like that movie. :)

Now, I doubt many people would try to do this, but they could. Same-sex marriages should require the same documentation and be held to the same standard by the cruiseline as traditional marriages. For married couples under 21, they require a legal document - a marriage certificate. I would think they would require the same or similiar document for same-sex marriages.

and relevent.

As it is stated in the lines policy regarding travel requirements.

As for a political or social argument, I don't belive one was even closely made with maybe the exception of the fact that documentation for same sex couples IS NOT available in all states or areas and could pose a problem for a couple under 25.

This is different than the OP ( an UNMARRIED underage couple ) co-habitating.

I would think that a certificate of a civil union or domestic partnership would be the BEST source, however I'm wondering if a power of attorney or notorized letter would work.

Dave:eek:

Archived