Will the taxi drivers take USD?

Jade13

We always use USD or credit cards in Grand Cayman. If you get change back, usually it's in CD. If you're going to the botanical park, I'd rent a car. It's a lot cheaper and you'd be able to explore that part of the island. The blow holes are over that way...as is the Lighthouse Restaurant. If you had the time, you could also visit Rum Point (you're almost there if you're at the botanical park).

We always use Andy's (we get the discount code off Cayman Activity Guide which is online) and from what I've read, they'll pick you up in the port area and drop you off. Traffic over that direction is very light (except during morning and evening rush). It's really a very easy drive and the island is safe to explore, so if you see something you want to look at...all you have to do is stop.

We always get a vehicle that has the steering on the left (like at home).

http://www.andys.ky/

We always use USD or credit cards in Grand Cayman. If you get change back, usually it's in CD. If you're going to the botanical park, I'd rent a car. It's a lot cheaper and you'd be able to explore that part of the island. The blow holes are over that way...as is the Lighthouse Restaurant. If you had the time, you could also visit Rum Point (you're almost there if you're at the botanical park).

We always use Andy's (we get the discount code off Cayman Activity Guide which is online) and from what I've read, they'll pick you up in the port area and drop you off. Traffic over that direction is very light (except during morning and evening rush). It's really a very easy drive and the island is safe to explore, so if you see something you want to look at...all you have to do is stop.

We always get a vehicle that has the steering on the left (like at home).

http://www.andys.ky/

Hi Twinkle, thank you for the info. We are scheduled to be tendered from 7:00am-5:00pm. Our plan is to do the earliest shortest Stingray Excursion with the ship (so we get off early) which is scheduled to bring us back to the docks at 11:15am. We then have a tour scheduled at the Blue Iguana Recovery Program. It is 1.5 hours, but we were told to allow 3-3.5 hours with transportation. We just need to know how hard it is to get a taxi and if they will take USD?

Hi Twinkle, thank you for the info. We are scheduled to be tendered from 7:00am-5:00pm. Our plan is to do the earliest shortest Stingray Excursion with the ship (so we get off early) which is scheduled to bring us back to the docks at 11:15am. We then have a tour scheduled at the Blue Iguana Recovery Program. It is 1.5 hours, but we were told to allow 3-3.5 hours with transportation. We just need to know how hard it is to get a taxi and if they will take USD?

They will take USD, but you'll probably need to set this up in advance (at least I would think). The cabs we've seen are the van-types, so they seat quite a few people, and they charge per person each way, so you'll want to make sure that the cab either stays with you...or will really return for you. That's why I suggested renting a car. Then you'd have the vehicle and you'd not have to worry about someone coming back for you, but if they stay over at the botanical park with you, that won't be an issue.

Enjoy your time there. We love Grand Cayman. Your cruise itinerary sounds wonderful. I'm jealous!!! :)

They will take USD, but you'll probably need to set this up in advance (at least I would think). The cabs we've seen are the van-types, so they seat quite a few people, and they charge per person each way, so you'll want to make sure that the cab either stays with you...or will really return for you. That's why I suggested renting a car. Then you'd have the vehicle and you'd not have to worry about someone coming back for you, but if they stay over at the botanical park with you, that won't be an issue.

Enjoy your time there. We love Grand Cayman. Your cruise itinerary sounds wonderful. I'm jealous!!! :)

Have you been on the Celebrity Century? I can't remember. We love HAL (I know you had issues) but this shorter 5 night fit in with taking two teenagers. I did not want to be on Carnival or NCL. I think the marketing is brilliant with the 4 and 5 night Century cruises that cater to a crowd that wants a "higher end Mass Market" line but has limited vacation time. The two port days are longer than the other cruise lines with 5:00pm departures. Someone who had more time could spend it in Miami. It stops in Key West and Grand Cayman and has two sea days. They have lots of dates if you want to take the cruise. At first I thought it was too short and I have been been to Key West. But I am really getting excited about this cruise, especially after hearing from the Director of the Iguana Recovery Program today.

Have you been on the Celebrity Century? I can't remember. We love HAL (I know you had issues) but this shorter 5 night fit in with taking two teenagers. I did not want to be on Carnival or NCL. I think the marketing is brilliant with the 4 and 5 night Century cruises that cater to a crowd that wants a "higher end Mass Market" line but has limited vacation time. The two port days are longer than the other cruise lines with 5:00pm departures. Someone who had more time could spend it in Miami. It stops in Key West and Grand Cayman and has two sea days. They have lots of dates if you want to take the cruise. At first I thought it was too short and I have been been to Key West. But I am really getting excited about this cruise, especially after hearing from the Director of the Iguana Recovery Program today.

We were on the Zuiderdam and it was a wonderful cruise (we've also been on the Triumph). The only issues I have with HAL is them renting out the Crow's Nest and the charter issue, but just today we were talking about doing another cruise.

We've also talked about trying Celebrity...I have two friends who cruise Celebrity and just love it, so it would be worth a try for us. We're really quite easy to please...and we can have a good time just about anywhere. You'll love leaving later in the afternoon. The port area tends to be a zoo around mid-afternoon since most ships leave around 4:00 or so. When in Grand Cayman, we usually have dinner at Breezes a couple of times so we can watch the last of the ships leave.

I don't know why but I thought you were on a longer cruise. A seven day cruise is about the longest cruise that we could take at this point in time. The one you're on sounds perfect for us. We do a lot of business in the Miami area, so this would be perfect for us...a couple of days of business and then hop on a ship for a short cruise. Once you get back, you'll have to let us know what you thought of the cruise. It's certainly something I'd like to do. :)

We were on the Zuiderdam and it was a wonderful cruise (we've also been on the Triumph). The only issues I have with HAL is them renting out the Crow's Nest and the charter issue, but just today we were talking about doing another cruise.

We've also talked about trying Celebrity...I have two friends who cruise Celebrity and just love it, so it would be worth a try for us. We're really quite easy to please...and we can have a good time just about anywhere. You'll love leaving later in the afternoon. The port area tends to be a zoo around mid-afternoon since most ships leave around 4:00 or so. When in Grand Cayman, we usually have dinner at Breezes a couple of times so we can watch the last of the ships leave.

I don't know why but I thought you were on a longer cruise. A seven day cruise is about the longest cruise that we could take at this point in time. The one you're on sounds perfect for us. We do a lot of business in the Miami area, so this would be perfect for us...a couple of days of business and then hop on a ship for a short cruise. Once you get back, you'll have to let us know what you thought of the cruise. It's certainly something I'd like to do. :)

I will let you know. Of course you could join us. Just fyi, they have these same cruises on the Century in 2009. Check out the Celebrity web site. HAL has the Veendam doing the 7 day with Grand Cayman. The deciding factor for us was 1) that we have been on that ship (loved her) so have the opportunity to try something new. 2) Century is cheap (flights aren't when we need them). We could book my stepdaughter and her friend in an inside for $399 each including port fees and take a cabin for ourselves and 3) Grand Cayman is scheduled for a longer port day than the other lines.

I will let you know. Of course you could join us. Just fyi, they have these same cruises on the Century in 2009. Check out the Celebrity web site. HAL has the Veendam doing the 7 day with Grand Cayman. The deciding factor for us was 1) that we have been on that ship (loved her) so have the opportunity to try something new. 2) Century is cheap (flights aren't when we need them). We could book my stepdaughter and her friend in an inside for $399 each including port fees and take a cabin for ourselves and 3) Grand Cayman is scheduled for a longer port day than the other lines.

When are you sailing? We don't think we're going to have the time to cruise in 2008 because of job contracts we've gotten, so I am thinking about possibly Jan/Feb of 2009.

This sounds like a perfect cruise for you. I'll run it by hubby...you never know. We're in Florida a lot on business so maybe we could squeeze something in while we are there. I'm always ready to travel...and I am looking forward to the day when our sons can run our business all by themselves. I'd love nothing more than to cruise a couple of times a year. :)

I'm going to mosey over to the Celebrity website and take a look. Thanks!

When are you sailing? We don't think we're going to have the time to cruise in 2008 because of job contracts we've gotten, so I am thinking about possibly Jan/Feb of 2009.

This sounds like a perfect cruise for you. I'll run it by hubby...you never know. We're in Florida a lot on business so maybe we could squeeze something in while we are there. I'm always ready to travel...and I am looking forward to the day when our sons can run our business all by themselves. I'd love nothing more than to cruise a couple of times a year. :)

I'm going to mosey over to the Celebrity website and take a look. Thanks!

February 18. It's Presidents day so flights are crazy. The prices offered by Celebrity with air deviation seem the best bet. They are at least half what I can book on my own. The CC class cabins at $799.00pp with port fees. The Sky Suites everyone raves about with the 142 square foot balcony and butler at $999.00pp.

February 18. It's Presidents day so flights are crazy. The prices offered by Celebrity with air deviation seem the best bet. They are at least half what I can book on my own. The CC class cabins at $799.00pp with port fees. The Sky Suites everyone raves about with the 142 square foot balcony and butler at $999.00pp.

We used Carnival for our flights (for our first cruise) for the same reason. We were traveling over New Year's and it was just cheaper to use them. Those are really good cruise prices. I do like their longer hours in port and Key West and GC are two of my favorite places. I love visiting Key West, but I am tired of making the drive there.

This cruise really sounds like something we'd enjoy...plus, it would be easier for us to squeeze this in rather than a 7-day cruise. Thanks for the info. :)

I was told it is KYD60 each way to the QEIIBP from the cruise dock. That is about $75.00 US each way.

The rate you quoted sounds about right. Yes, taxi drivers (and almost everyone else in Cayman) will gladly accept USD. My sweet-little-old-lady of a landlady is the only person who I've ever met who insisted on CI$. :rolleyes:

Many businesses accept major credit cards, and USD travellers checks accepted, though your change may be in CI$.

The rate you quoted sounds about right. Yes, taxi drivers (and almost everyone else in Cayman) will gladly accept USD. My sweet-little-old-lady of a landlady is the only person who I've ever met who insisted on CI$. :rolleyes:

Many businesses accept major credit cards, and USD travellers checks accepted, though your change may be in CI$.

Thanks Drew, and hello in Grand Cayman. Have you been to the Blue Iguana Recovery Program?

Does my currency conversion right now seem about right? It sounds like I just need to bring lots of $1's so I don't end up with change I can't use. Does 45 minutes to the Botanical Gardens seem about right, and do you think we would have a problem finding a taxi at about 11:30am?

We used Carnival for our flights (for our first cruise) for the same reason. We were traveling over New Year's and it was just cheaper to use them. Those are really good cruise prices. I do like their longer hours in port and Key West and GC are two of my favorite places. I love visiting Key West, but I am tired of making the drive there.

This cruise really sounds like something we'd enjoy...plus, it would be easier for us to squeeze this in rather than a 7-day cruise. Thanks for the info. :)

Maybe we will get to meet. If not, check the shedules because the 5 night itinerary rotates between Grand Cayman and Cozumel. In any event check out the Roll Calls and also the reviews section of CC.

Maybe we will get to meet. If not, check the shedules because the 5 night itinerary rotates between Grand Cayman and Cozumel. In any event check out the Roll Calls and also the reviews section of CC.

It would to meet you one of these days! :) And guess what...I mentioned this shorter cruise to hubby and he thought we might be able to squeeze it in when we're down in FLL/Miami. I'm glad you mentioned this because I would have never thought to check the Celebrity board for a shorter cruise. I did see where they rotate between GC and Cozumel. We'd probably prefer GC, but then again, we've not been to Cozumel in a long time, so that would also be fun.

I'll check the Roll Call boards on a regular basis. I'd really like to hear what your experiences were like on this cruise. :)

It would to meet you one of these days! :) And guess what...I mentioned this shorter cruise to hubby and he thought we might be able to squeeze it in when we're down in FLL/Miami. I'm glad you mentioned this because I would have never thought to check the Celebrity board for a shorter cruise. I did see where they rotate between GC and Cozumel. We'd probably prefer GC, but then again, we've not been to Cozumel in a long time, so that would also be fun.

I'll check the Roll Call boards on a regular basis. I'd really like to hear what your experiences were like on this cruise. :)

Ok, I will let you know how it goes.

Archived