August Cruising

gal40

We cruised the last week of August in 2005, and 2006, and this year the last week of August we went to Playa Del Carmen. Each and every time I spent the days before we left watching the weather channel b/c a hurricane was threatening our vacation. Each and every time it worked out and we had beautiful weather. August just happens to be the best time for my husband and I but in the future I would like to have just one worry-free vacation.

You already read about the weather leaving so I won't hit on that. We sailed 4 times in late August and in early September. We were fortunate enough to be at the right place at the right time. If you don't mind an itinerary change, it's a good time to go.

I said I wouldn't talk about the weather but I guess I lied!:( We sailed through 2 hurricanes, one of them twice ( Gaston and Ernesto), we didn't miss any ports, but our in-laws did 1 week later. The weather will be fine once in the caribbean. Take sea sick precautions if you think you need them. We take them with us but only my wife needed them one time. She is not prone to this but it was one of those cruises across the Atlantic that 1/2 the ship paxs were ill.

I had to ask for a seatbelt for my bar stool!:eek: It got that rough!

We cruised 3 years in a row, all the end of August, and we only ran into one problem, that caused us to have an extra day and night at sea! Nothing wrong with that!! We had to "float" around with 5 other cruise ships until the port of Miami re-opened, due to 2 back to back hurricanes and the damage they left. Believe it or not I forgot one of them, one was Ivan though I believe. When we did get back to port, there were 8 ships in that morning, it made the papers, I still have a copy I kept! The only minor problem was re-arranging our flights, getting a hotel for the night, transportation from the airport back home etc... thanks to complimentary internet use from the ship, and our TA, all was well, just took about 4 hours of communicating back and fourth, for the most part, we have been lucky. August is the best month for us to cruise with our 3 kids (teens)...

no School, and there sports commitments are year round, with the month of July and August off.

Happy Cruising! :D

Do you cruise in August to the carribbean? Are you afraid the weather with ruin your trip?

That would depend. Living in Houston, the weather in the Caribbean is almost exactly the same as what I get at home: hot, humid and a fair amount of rain with the occasional tropical storm.

If anything, the weather in the Caribbean is probably a bit nicer with the sea breezes. Besides already being acclimated to the hot weather, I know how to prevent/deal with heat exhaustion, sunburn, etc.

Oh, and I forgot to mention! Yes, I've cruised in August, but I find September to be the hottest month. Or perhaps the most tiresome cause by September I'm really sick of summer!

Have cruised 3 years in a row the last week of Aug. Sometimes it's nerveracking right before we leave, watching hurricane activity, but so far we've been really lucky and haven't had any problems.

This has been my experience too. We always cruise at the end of August, and so far, we've been very lucky. We fly into the port a day or two in advance, and we buy cruise insurance. We also are aware that the itinerary may change in the event of a storm, and have the mindset to just accept that.

It is VERY hot in the Caribbean at this time of year, though, so be prepared for that.

Archived