Venice card

I have read that the Venice Card is useful for public transportation and restrooms and thought I should get one for my upcoming stay. I wanted a 24 hour pass which the travel guides suggested, but I don't see that offered on the Venice Card website. I read somewhere that you have to purchase the venice Card ahead of time. Is that true? You can't purchase it once you get there? And if you can't then where would I get a 24 hour card? Thanks for you advice.

I don't see a 24 hour pass for the Venice Card. It says 12 hrs, 48 hrs or 7 days. Maybe when you click on the purchase button, it might give you more options.

The vaporetto pass does come in 24 hours, but that is different than the Venice Card. It is only for the vaporetto, whereas the Venice Card is also for buses, museums, restrooms, etc.

I plan to order ours on-line once it gets closer to Oct. '08.

Good luck.

http://www.venicecard.com/index_eng.jsp

• 6 months later...

Sugar&Buddy,

All depends on what you plan on doing. Orange has more museum entrances included than the Blue does. If you think you will use the card that much, it's your call.

I have opted just for the vaporetto pass rather than the Venice Card as I don't plan on visiting a lot of museums or other things the card covers. It doesn't cover the bus to the airport, so you'd still have to pay for that separate. The only advantage I see at all to the Venice Card is the 2 restroom stops it includes, and I decided it wasn't worth the extra EUR.

Sugar&Buddy,

All depends on what you plan on doing. Orange has more museum entrances included than the Blue does. If you think you will use the card that much, it's your call.

I have opted just for the vaporetto pass rather than the Venice Card as I don't plan on visiting a lot of museums or other things the card covers. It doesn't cover the bus to the airport, so you'd still have to pay for that separate. The only advantage I see at all to the Venice Card is the 2 restroom stops it includes, and I decided it wasn't worth the extra EUR.

The only places I know for sure is St. Marks Square and possibly tour and Secret Itineraries of Doge's Palace. I believe the Venice Card discounts museums only listed on website. Is that correct?

The only places I know for sure is St. Marks Square and possibly tour and Secret Itineraries of Doge's Palace. I believe the Venice Card discounts museums only listed on website. Is that correct?

What do you plan on doing if not going to museums?

walking around...seeing the sights...gondola ride...gelato...shopping....

this is our first time in venice and I want to see it from the outside..not from the museums...

I too am opting for a vaporetto card...36 hours...we are in port for a day and a half...maybe 24 hrs will be enough...not sure...

do you really need to take buses? can the vaporetto take you most places and then you walk?

walking around...seeing the sights...gondola ride...gelato...shopping....

this is our first time in venice and I want to see it from the outside..not from the museums...

I too am opting for a vaporetto card...36 hours...we are in port for a day and a half...maybe 24 hrs will be enough...not sure...

do you really need to take buses? can the vaporetto take you most places and then you walk?

I'm not a museum goer either. I do plan to look into San Marco Basilica, and maybe the glass museum on Murano, but other than that will be riding the vaporetto and walking.

A bus, taxi or water taxi are the modes of transportation to and from the airport. While in Venice, a vaporetto and your feet are the mode of transportation.

How do you get a Vaporetto card? Can you do it on line ahead of time? If not, where wouold you buy it when you get there? Thanks for any information you can give me.

There is an information building in Piazzale Roma, that sells the vapretto card. I haven't found anyplace online to purchase them ahead.

The Alilaguna Boat sells tickets that include a ride from the airport as well as the vaporetto pass, but that isn't just the vaporetto pass.

I plan to purchase one at Piazzale Roma as soon as we arrive from the pier. I had a link, but my computer crashed a couple of weeks ago, and I lost everything. If I can locate the website, I'll come back and post again.

Found it fairly quickly.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/piazzale_roma.htm

It's actually called the ACTV Tourist Information Office and it is right in Piazzale Roma.

I was just in Venice the week before Easter. I got the Orange Venice Card, but if I had it to do over, I would get the Blue. We used the vaporreto quite a bit. It's slow, but scenic. The orange card didn't cover the art museums and we didn't go all of the other museums and churches. Using it for the toilets was a pain. The attendant had to enter the number of your pass, the time you go and some other info on a form. My husband said he was treated like he pissed on the attendant when he presented his card. However, we loved hopping on the vaporreto whenever we were tired and seeing Venice by water.

Archived