Which would you Choose

Bigmikeh

Been looking at taking my lovely wife on a memorable cruise to the Mediterranean to celebrate our 20th anniversary next November. Looking at Balcony on Royal's Voyager of the Seas or for about $200 more I can get a Mini Suite on Norwegian Gem. Which would you choose.

:rolleyes: First, do you like both itineraries? Also, are you sure you would both like the idea of freestyle dining? Weight all of these options. Figure out how long you will be in each port, especially the ones you really want to see.

Also, what choice of stateroom location can you get, try for an aft stateroom, they are the best. If not that then try for as close to mid-ship as you can get. Do you have a real TA? (Not a boiler room type - but one that will give you a lot of personal service?)

They are both great Cruise Lines and both very nice ships. Royal Caribbean is a little more Traditional than NCL. That does not mean one is better than the other. They are both good choices. Go onto their Web sites and read the first couple of pages that tell you about the Cruise Lines themselves. They may help you make your decision. IMHO you will not go wrong no matter which you choose.

Having been on both, I would choose RCL over NCL any day.

I found the free style dining a nightmare. Others have stated they were fine with it but I'll never cruise NCL again because of it.

The mini suite would be nice but not worth the trade off.

Can't you get a mini suite on RCL?

Having been on both, I would choose RCL over NCL any day.

I found the free style dining a nightmare. Others have stated they were fine with it but I'll never cruise NCL again because of it.

The mini suite would be nice but not worth the trade off.

Can't you get a mini suite on RCL?

Don't really need a mini-suite on RCL their Superior Verandah Balcony Room is about 202 sq. ft.

On the NCL Gem the best Balcony room is only 162 square feet - that is why their mini-suites are so popular. Their mini-suites are 231 square feet.

If you get the Superior Oceanview Balcony there is plently of room for two. And a wonderful balcony to enjoy! I would choose RCL IF it were my choice.

To each their own, but NCL isn't even close, IMHO, to RCL. Of course, in my EXTREMELY humble opinion <grin>, the only line worse than NCL is Fun Ship World.

But, it really is a matter of style.

Paul

I would most definitely go with the Voyager over the Gem. AS previously stated, the balcony rooms are larger, which is true, I have been on the Voyager and the same class ship as the GEm (Dawn). I like being able to have both traditional and anytime dining, but NCL doesn't have the food quality of RCCL. I also think the Voyager is a great ship with so many activities that if you didn't go into port, you would never be bored. Go with the balcony on Voyager and then watch for a sale for your sailing and see if you can upgrade then.

Have a wonderful time, which ever you choose!

Archived