longshoreman, luggage and tips....

spearmint

I cannot recall if this topic has come up before, or even in my old age whether or not I have asked about it. When transferring by Celebrity from the airport to the ship, our luggage is taken care of.

However, when we arrive by carrier other than Celebrity, we take our luggage, give it to a longshoreman (?) and then enter the terminal.

Two questions:

Am I correct in assuming that this is the correct method and everyone does this?

And, how much do you tip the longshoreman per suitcase? Thanks for the help.

You still have to claim your luggage at baggage claim even if you're taking Celebrity's transfer.

If you arrive independtly you give your luggage to the porters and they take care of it. Depending on how heavy my bags are, it's usually $1 to $2 a bag.

There are signs (at least in Fort Lauderdale) that tipping is not necessary. Seems that tipping does expedite your baggage delivery to your room from our experience. I'm guessing they put the no-tip bags to the back and the tip bags to the front but can't really prove it. I do know if you don't tip your bag is not necessarily going anywhere until they feel like moving itl.

You still have to claim your luggage at baggage claim even if you're taking Celebrity's transfer.

If you arrive independtly you give your luggage to the porters and they take care of it. Depending on how heavy my bags are, it's usually $1 to $2 a bag.

Oh, for the old days! When I started cruising Celebrity I would fly to FLL...there was a rep there in baggage claim who whisked us off to the ship...and they took care of the luggage as well! (I tipped $1/bag and all was good) Nowadays, you will claim your own luggage and there will be porters who transport it for you to the transport vehicle. I tip average of $2 per bag to every person who handles it..be it airport, bus driver, longshoreman etc. Haven't lost one bag yet (knock on wood)! I now live in FL, tend to drive myself to the port and still tip the guys $2-5/bag to make sure it gets where it is going!

You are correct; I had forgotten. Isn't aging wonderful?:)

Are the 'porters' and 'longshoremen' the same thing? The guys I am referring to are down the side of the building from the entrance. Last time, we were dropped off there, and presumed that we were to just turn over our bags....to the guy who held his hand out and informed us that we would be expected to tip him. I do not mind tipping....except when I am told to by the recipient. So it got me wondering if I should have turned the luggage over to someone else perhpas inside the terminal. That perhaps I was in the wrong place. (I expect that I was in the correct one, though.):)

Just to clarify, the porters/longshoremen work for the port and are unionized. They collect your luggage and load it on pallets. They then drive the pallets and load them on the ship. Then ships personel sort them and finally delivery them.

In Ft. Lauderdale (and probably Miami, can't remember), there are signs that the porters do not have to be tipped to check luggage in. However, prepared to be ignored if you don't.

A number of years back when these signs were first put up checking in was very hostile environment. The porters would scream at you to give them a tip before they would take your luggage. This was during our early cruising days and had transfers with the cruise line (I think princess). When the princess rep saw what was happening she told everyone to go check in and she we make sure the luggage was take care of. It worked.

Just to clarify, the porters/longshoremen work for the port and are unionized. They collect your luggage and load it on pallets. They then drive the pallets and load them on the ship. Then ships personel sort them and finally delivery them.

Thanks. That's exactly what I thought. However, as one poster mentioned, 'bribe' or not, one never knows what may happen to one's luggage when it is out of one's sight. So, although ticked off I might be, I tip the guy.

In their favor, though, on our first cruise, I did not have sense enough to bring cash (travellers cheques) in $US figuring that I would have no need for it. Having a "run-of-the-ship" (guarantee?) ticket, we also had no room number. The longshoreman to whom we entrusted our luggage, went into the terminal, got our room number and added it to our luggage. Now, I really wanted to tip this man. Feeling stupid for not having cash, I asked him if I could tip him in Canadian money, and he told me no, that he could do nothing with it. I have looked for him every time we have been to Fort Lauderdale (because now I bring some $US cash), but have never seen him again.

Archived