Entertainment on Oriana

CASPALL

Off next month on the Classical Lands cruise and just wondering if the Oriana's theatre company has changed over since March. The same lot were on in March that were on at New Year time and they were not great (to say the least) Has anyone been on the Oriana lately? K8T?

Caryl

Hi

Having been on Oriana on the 1st September, it was only a week cruise, so there were probably two shows, otherwise there was a singer and a comedian - I will look on the Oriana Today and see who they were., we didn't see either, but saw some people walking out of the male singer!

We saw the two shows. One was a sort of Chorus Line thing, with lots of snippets from different shows, which I thought was reasonably good. The other was a run down of Eurovision Song Contest winners, from Lulu to Abba and Bucks Fizz. This was extremely entertaining and a bit of trip down memory lane, I was surprised how early I could remember some of the songs and also the longevity of some of the earlier songs.

However, the costumes were, as always, good from a distance but not so from close up! The dancers were good and most of the singers too. To be honest, the number they are and what they have to produce, I think they do quite well. If you get a seat nearer the back, it all looks extremely nice and slick. If you sit too near the front it is dissappointing.

One thing I did notice, is that they are now using head mics. and this creates quite a bit of crackling and background sounds, which was extremely distracting, the cast probably need a little bit more training or experience in using them.

Overall though it was OK, but hey - it isn't the West End is it?

Hope this helps.

Kate

No, we don't expect them to be wonderful - otherwise they would have got roles in the West End. it's just that when we were on Arcadia the theatre company on board at that time WERE wonderful. Two of the girls were exceptionally good. The singing ,dancing and costumes were all worth going to see. Nothing has matched up to that since.

On the Oriana New Year cruise we watched the Elvis tribute show. It was the worst ever.They didn't come in on their cue and sang off key. Elvis would certainly have left the ship (in the middle of the ocean) if he heard the racket they made that night!

I had to supress a giggle or two -especially with my husband telling me to "behave!" Then the lady sitting behind me started laughing. It was sheer agony having to sit there trying not to laugh.

...the theatre company on board at that time WERE wonderful. Two of the girls were exceptionally good.

On the Oriana New Year cruise we watched the Elvis tribute show. It was the worst ever.They didn't come in on their cue and sang off key.

This post sums it up. We have seen shows that were very professional and worthy of a theatre performance. We have also seen performances at the other end of the scale.

That is why we always take a seat at the end of a row in case we want to leave.

David

Archived