travel irons in cabin

graemerigg

No they are not allowed. If you go to Celebrity's website under "Before You Go", "packing", it states:

What not to Pack

For the safety of our guests, the following items are not allowed onboard:

Irons

Coffee makers

Candles

Illegal drugs

Electrical Transformers

Flammable liquids and explosives, such as fireworks

No they are not allowed. If you go to Celebrity's website under "Before You Go", "packing", it states:

Quote:

What not to Pack

For the safety of our guests, the following items are not allowed onboard:

Irons

Coffee makers

Candles

Illegal drugs

Electrical Transformers

Flammable liquids and explosives, such as fireworks

Not to nitpick but any charger that has a box at the plug (into the wall) is a transformer. That would prohibit many phone, laptop and camera chargers.

Regards

The first few cruises we went on I took along a travel iron....but never once used it. I found that if you pack correctly most everything arrives in good shape. The few items that don't, get sent to the laundry for pressing. It's fairly inexpensive.

Lately, we have started to pack my husbands dress shirts unpressed, and hand them to the steward on the first day for pressing. A day later my husband has a weeks worth of freshly pressed shirts.

I bring my camera battery charger, never thought of it as a transformer. I charge up my cell phone before leaving for the cruise and once there, turn it off till we leave. I use it only to call whoever is picking us up at the airport in case of a change, but he usually has checked it out on the website. If we are sailing from the US I call to tell family we arrived safely.

Travel steamers are not on the list (Are they transformers, too), so might be a good alternative to irons. I just use the anti-wrinkle spray. You can send your clothes out to be ironed on the ship for a nominal fee.

Sasset--you are probably right. I mentioned them because I had seen a thread about them. The responding poster said they must be OK, because they were not on the no-no list. I know people do bring them.

Personally, I am not a wrinkle worrier. Once you've put on a garment, especially in a tropical environment, it will be wrinkled anyway. I use the can of wrinkle spray if something is really bad. It's no big deal. I don't notice other people's wrinkles. After all we're on a cruise, not home with all of our modern conveniences. I hardly EVER iron anything at home. I've been known to wet down a piece of clothing that didn't come out of the dryer soon enough and put it back in the dryer. I always check labels in the store and put back anything that needs ironing. DH is retired and doesn't need dress shirts every day, so the iron sits there gathering dust. :D Life's too short to worry about wrinkles, clothing or facial, lol.

Smoking is also a fire hazard but they allow that on ships. Smoking causes more fires than electrical appliances.

I've never had my coffee maker or iron cause a fire in all the years I've owned them.

Uh oh...get ready.

Regards

Uh oh...get ready.

Regards

See I feel they don't want you to bring irons because they want you to send things to get pressed and pay for them. They just use the OLD "fire hazzard" excuse. Yes, they can cause fires but more fires are caused by matches and smoking than by coffee makers, irons or steamers.

more fires are caused by matches and smoking than by coffee makers, irons or steamers.

Yes... but the OP's question was about travel irons and as much as CCer's debate various fire hazards, I don't think Celebrity will change their rule re travel irons.

Yes... but the OP's question was about travel irons and as much as CCer's debate various fire hazards, I don't think Celebrity will change their rule re travel irons.

Exactly. We may differ in our opinions about how much of a fire hazard they represent, or the "real" reason that Celebrity, Costa, Royal Caribbean prohibit them, but the bottom line is that they do prohibit them, and since we are sailing on their ships, we are bound by their rules and policies. Disagree all you want, but please don't violate their policies.

Policies, schmolicies!

I plan to take at least a dozen strongly scented, long wick candles which I will light and place throughout the cabin, as I leave for dinner. They will create a lovely scent when I return many hours later. Don't worry about the ambiance upon my return, I'll also be leaving on some punk rock or rap music which I'll continuously pump out to the balcony - I like it loud! I'll be dressed for dinner in a stained 'wife beater', torn shorts, and muddy flip flops. At dinner I plan to order raw ground beef while I chain smoke cigars in the dining room. Before returning to my cabin, I may decide to gather all the non potty trained infants for an impromptu pool party.;)

Just teasing, everyone.:D No irons. Who wants to iron while on vaca anyway?;)

Happy cruising!:D

Denise

Who wants to iron while on vaca anyway?;)

Sometimes I think an iron would come in handy ... you know after you've done a full load of laundry in the bathroom sink, and hung it out on the balcony clothesline (easily assembled with 75 ft. of rope and duct tape) .... the wrinkles can be pretty nasty. ;)

Smoking is also a fire hazard but they allow that on ships. Smoking causes more fires than electrical appliances.

I've never had my coffee maker or iron cause a fire in all the years I've owned them.

Only takes one time ---- to be your or someone you love -- last time.

Fire on a ship is the worst disaster -- no where to go to get away from it.

Who in the world would want to pack an iron in the luggage? It might get jostled around by baggage handlers and break one or more of the bottles of booze in the suitcase!! :rolleyes: That would be terrible.

Les

I agree with you, I would rather wear wrinkled clothes than to break a bottle of booze!:D lol

Who in the world would want to pack an iron in the luggage? It might get jostled around by baggage handlers and break one or more of the bottles of booze in the suitcase!! :rolleyes: That would be terrible.

Les

:D:D:D Les, you're right!!! Priorities! Priorities!!;)

Denise

Hmmmm...should we get them going with the smoking or dress code thread!! If they say no irons....no irons. If they say smoking is ok on balconies...ok.....if they say a jacket(unwrinkled...of course) ok. Know your host, respect your host and all is good.

What he/she said!

Archived