Irons/Ironing Boards

There are no irons or ironing boards in any stateroom on any RCI ship. Irons are one of the things they ask that you NOT bring onboard. There is dry cleaning, laundry, and pressing services available onboard.

Oh, oh - my first day back and an ironing post. Should I or shouldn't I? Naw, the "please tell me the logic in asking someone not to iron in a cabin when you say it is OK to light up a cigarette" just too easy.

Here's the logic - There is an ashtray in your cabin, but not an ironing board.

Other than being a fire hazard, the plug in the cabin is rated for a maximum of 1500 watts and an iron will overload the circuit as it draws considerably more than 1500 watts.

SHIPBOARD LAUNDRY SERVICE

* All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without notice.

Men

Shirt/T-Shirt: $2.50

Shirt (dress): $3.00

Underwear: $1.20

Jeans: $3.00

Pajamas: $4.00

Handkerchief: $0 .75

Shorts: $2.50

Bathrobe: $3.50

Pants (wash): $3.50

Sweatshirt: $3.00

Socks: $1.00

Women

Blouse: $3.50

Dress (wash): $5.00

Skirt: $3.50

Nightgown: $3.00

Swimsuit: $2.00

Slip: $2.50

Housecoat: $3.50

Hosiery: $1.00

Slacks: $3.50

PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices

SHIPBOARD DRY CLEANING SERVICES

* All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without notice.

Men

Suit: $7.00

Pants: $4.25

Jacket: $4.50

Tie: $2.00

Shirt: $3.50

Shorts: $3.00

Silk Pajamas: $4.50

Vest: $2.50

Sweater: $4.00

Coat: $7.00

Women

Evening Gown: $8.00

Dress: $7.00

Silk Blouse: $5.00

Silk Dress: $8.00

Suit: $7.50

Blouse: $4.00

Skirt: $4.50

Scarf: $2.50

PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices

And, I tried soooo hard not to bite.....

And please tell me what good an ashtray does if the cigarettes/ashes do not find their way to the asktray for any number of possible reasons? As for wattages, travel irons do not use the same power as other irons. Not to mention the fact that I have never heard of a ship being drained of its power or a shipwide "blackout" occurring as a result of a power surge/drain from an illegal iron being plugged in.

Plain and simple, smokers are a source of revenue for the cruise lines and so will never be banned. On the other hand, laundry/cleaning services are a revenue generator and so therefore it is OK to label an iron a fire risk.

Personally, I would like to see all potential fire risks eliminated from the cruise ship. But as that is NOT going to happen, please don't tell me irons are a risk. I just have a hard time taking that seriously in the face of all the greater risks that are ignored.

There's another thread on the boards about hairdryers. Did you know that most if not all hairdryers are 1875 watts...so better leave those home ladies.

I smoke, and would never smoke in the room a) cause it is WAY too small and b) cause it's way too small! :)

Thanks for all the input from everyone. It looks like I will be trading in my bar tab for my pressing tab. We have to leave our home on Feb. 18th. ( early morning) in order to make our flight the next day to Fort Lauderdale. We then overnight and board on the 20th. Considering I will have to pack on the 17th., my clothes and my husband's will be in fine shape after 3 days in a suitcase! Ah well, if you notice a very wrinkled ( clothes not the face) woman onboard, you'll know who it is. Cheers.

I have found that by packing a certain way that we don't need anything pressed at all. All you have to do is for your suite cases is put a layer a tissue paper between each layer of clothes. Honestly, no wrinkles (our cases have even been packed for a few days and this still works). Now for your garmet bags. Put each item you have on a hangar inside a cleaners bag before putting them in the garmet bad. It works like a charm everytime. Even with my husband's suite and jackets and my evening wear.

Hope this helps!

Bev

Previously on these boards I've read that some passengers bring travel steamers. Personally, I don't have one but have thought about purchasing one.

I have hung an item or two in the bathroom and turned on the hot water in the shower and closed the door - works ok but not real well. On my 1st cruise which was on RCI eleven years ago I was able to purchase a travel iron in the gift shop on board the ship!!! Guess back then they didn't have any problems with them being a fire danger - wonder what's happened since then???? My DH & I have already agreed that everything that requires pressing will be sent out to have them do - part of being on vacation for me!!!

It depends on the fiber in the fabric. I've found it works well on cottons and cotton blends. I spray, smooth, shake the garment out, then hang it. The spray makes the garment a little damp (it dries quickly). The wrinkle release gets the worst of the wrinkles out, but not all.

I have used a travel steamer since 1982. They do work. I finally broke down and bought a new one at WalMart for about $10.00 where they have the travel items like locks, alarm clocks, etc. It also works very well and it is two pieces when not assembled and takes up very little room in the luggage.

I have learned to pack my things in the cleaner bags and that helps. (thanks to the great tips on this board) Tissue in between the clothes works too, but it does add a little extra weight to the luggage.

Wow! What a terrific response. I've now got lots of ideas and will try them out. We travel a lot but this one is going to be interesting because of all the different types of clothes - casual, semi-casual, some-what dressed up, almost dressed up, dressed up and formal. Add the shoes, bags, nighties ( what my husband says!!), bathing suits, etc. etc. and I think I am going to be travelling like they did in the past on a crusie - with a steamer trunk. All the tips are much appreciated. Hope you all have a wonderful cruise.

Archived