Which Market??

lol...yeah, I hear ya. I told one vendor that I would buy something from her (I already spotted a walking stick I was interested in) if she would just not talk for 3 mins while I looked around......she couldn't do it...haha, but I bought it anyway....

Good Luck!

There is only one area you can't miss it but 300 + markets. Everyone has their own stuff & own little section although most of it looks alike. Just ignore the people and only say "No" once they actually want to annoy you and get you to converse with them. If you keep say No or debating with them they at least have your attention. Remember Never tell them what you want until you see exactly what you want, never take anything in your hand from them handing it back is tougher then pulling teeth from a rattlesnake, and never pay what they are asking. Offer 50% and then walk away, your there all day and the prices drop 30 minutes before the last tender leaves for the ship.

A lot of the stuff is hand made but some is con consignment from friends or bought for resale.

gnparend is incorrect. There are two markets in the same general area.

There is a Haitian Flea Market that has very aggressive vendors, all selling similiar merchandise, and all competing for your attention and your purchase. They can be quite scary and intimidating!

In a small building behind the flea market is a fixed price Artesan's Market. There is no bargaining or heavy pressure there, but the selection is limited.

I prefer the atmosphere in the Artesan's Market, and we had to walk out of the Flea Market because it was making my head spin. I know these people are VERY poor, and I want to support them, but I can't stand the pushyness or being grabbed at. I'll pay the asking price rather than bargain it down a few dollars because I can spare some change for someone in such dire financial situation.

There are basically two markets almost back to back. One is the artisan's market and there is no haggling or in your face selling. The other area is whatever goes. For the same item they had inside for 60$ I got 3 of them outside in the haggle area. Yes, they are a little pushy but a "no" got them to back off. Once they saw we were dealing with one guy they all backed off. I got some great pieces which are now hanging in my kitchen.

Archived