Deck parties on the Empress 8 night?

tinker

Tuesday night is the poolside buffet and line dancing starting at 11:30pm. It was rained out very quickly last week. Wednesday night is the Chocolate buffet, 11:30pm at poolside also. Friday night is the Grand Gala buffet in the main dining room, viewing at 11:30, then opens at 12:15 to eat. Poolside was usually pretty quiet at night, with most of the entertainment happening in the lounges indoors. The pool bar is open and the windjammer has late night snacks just about every night, but be warned -- it serves hot dogs, hamburgers, fries and maybe pizza. That's all. I would have preferred a snack of cookies, ice cream, a piece of cake, etc... but burgers??? at midnight? Also -- although they say that the pool is open 24 hours - we found that it was closed with a netting at night. And even the hot tubs were closed at times. Personally, I steered clear of the hot tubs after the first day... lots of dirty-looking foam gave me the willies.

You have the right nights for formal. We skipped the second formal night and went to Portofinos instead, cause we didn't want to dress up again. But I can say - from looking at the photos posted for the second formal night, that a lot of folks didn't dress to the nines the second formal night. Many men in dress shirts only, sometimes a tie... but certainly not like the first formal night.

Any other questions?

Laurie

Thanks Laurie for the info.
We leave Saturday. Were doing the Carnival Wednesday and were wondering if we would miss anything of interest on the ship.
I also noticed on our last cruise. People are not doing formal as much. Much more relaxed these days.

Let you know how we make out ( if the hurricanes stay away)

Cathey

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Justine,
You are on our sailing and we have a group of over 30 who have met here on the boards. I see you are new so welcome.

We have a rather large post on the "Roll Call Meet and Mingle" subject titled "Empress of the Seas rollcall October 2, 2004" if you want to check it out.

Only 19 days to go!

Hi Justine,

We're also on the Oct 2nd Empress cruise to Bermuda. There are two formal nights, but the dresses range from basic simple little black dress to really formal gowns, and everything in between. I've sailed the Empress twice before, and this time I'm taking one pair of black palazzo pants and two sequined tops. The men usually wear dark suits or those who prefer, wear a tux. Hope that helps.

Marge

PS - we have a great group who have been getting to know each other on the boards. I think this is the link, if you're interested.

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?threadid=16189[/url]

Hopefully it works.

Archived