OMIGOD! I can't find my passport

joramrose

It's 8 a.m. on a fine Saturday morning in London. You've had a great three-day stay, seeing the sights, attending theater, hopping on the bus or the tube with friends.

A pre-arranged coach will be here in 30 minutes -- you're all repacked and ready for the trip to Dover, and Uh Oh! Panic time. Where did you put your billfold?

Friends, I hope this never happens to you. It's about as stressful a scenario as I can dream up. Dream? No, nightmare.

And it happened to me.

It was an awful awful feeling, watching your friends get on that bus and head off to the Connie, while you sit on the stoop on the hotel porch. Tears running down your cheeks, of course. No passport, no ID, no credit card and a limited supply of cash.

Well, I survived. and if you have been reading these boards in the last couple of weeks, you know I eventually rejoined the cruise in Dublin.

But I thought maybe I could share some passport tips that might help someone in the future.

No. One: Don't lose your passport on the weekend. The American Embassy shuts down tight on Saturday and Sunday.

No. Two: Don't overly stress out. In this day and age of computer storage and instant communication, you can get a new passport in a matter of hours -- except on weekends. Just be sure you have a C note tucked away somewhere.

Before they took off, Martha handed me her last 40 pounds, and Gail went around the block to another hotel (ours was booked solid) and paid for my first night. Another CCer, Phil, offered to interrupt his cruise with Marti, to stay back with me. I assured him I would be all right, sniff, sniff, that although I am advanced in years, I have traveled many miles and many countries in Europe solo. At least in London, I spoke a form of the language.

No. Three: It might be well to know a number for the American Embassy before you leave home. A young Aussie student I met at the hotel spent an hour on his computer trying to find me a weekend emergency number. No luck.

I finally decided just to go to the Embassy and bang on the door.

I took a bus and got off within a couple of blocks. The Embassy is surrounded by scaffolding and fences and a big park in back. I wandered through the park and met a young man pushing a baby carriage.

How do I get in there? I asked.

You don't, today, he replied.

I'm a stranded American, I wailed. I have found it is easier to cope by shedding a few tears or by throwing yourself on the mercy of strangers.

This time I was in luck. The man with the baby carriage works for the Embassy. He whipped out his cell phone and dialed up a Mr. Goodfriend. He told me to tell my story.

Mr. Goodfriend asked me some questions, told me he could offer very little help on a Saturday but told me to come back at 9 a.m. on Monday and he would arrange a passport. Get a couple of photos made.

(That advice always to carry a couple of passport-sized pictures with you may be sound. However, there were a jillion places around the Embassy to have them made for a few pounds.)

He asked if I needed money. I had about 200 bucks US and that 40 pounds. He gave me an access code to use to call home -- cost 1 p (two cents) a minute. He reminded me it was going to be difficult getting money wired since I had no ID.

NO. Four: Keep some kind of ID, preferably with picture, in your baggage apart from your wallet.

I went back to the hotel, called my son, the airline pilot who now rides a desk directing pilots overseas. I figured he would yell at me, but he didn't. He had me put the hotel manager on the phone and guaranteed my hotel bill by credit card. He asked me where I wanted to rejoin the ship and we figured best bet was Dublin. He called me back in an hour and had arranged my early Tuesday morning flight with Aer Lingus.

And he cancelled my missing credit card.

Now all I had to do was kill time and figure out how to stretch my limited funds to pay for a car to Heathrow and a taxi from the Dublin airport to the ship.

No. Five: Always travel with your own CARE package. I do. I had peanut butter crackers, cereal bars and Snickers in my bags.

I splurged on one pasta dinner with a glass of wine. I breakfasted at the hotel. I brewed tea in my room and feasted on crackers.

Here I am in London, with no spare funds to go see the sights. I had a bus pass, so I went to the Brit Museum to see the terra cotta soldiers from China. I rode all around London into the outlying areas. I walked down Oxford Street (near the Embassy) and window=shopped all those expensive stores.

And I watched a lot of BBC TV.

When I got to the Embassy again, there was a long line. I told them I had an appointment with Mr. Goodfriend, and the guard took me to the head of the line and let me in. I filled out the application, paid my $97 and was waiting for my passport when Mr. Goodfriend paged me again. My billfold, with passport, credit card and health card, but no cash, had been turned in. I got my $97 back and was on my way in an hour.

I was up and packed when my transportation arrived at 4 a.m.

I got into Dublin at 8 a.m. and got a taxi to the Connie.

At the gangplank I could not get in without a seacard. Bob from Customer Relations came down and rescued me. He sent my bags to my cabin and asked how I was going to guarantee payment.

My credit card is cancelled. I have $20 left.

No problem, he said, we will work something out.

Later that day the concierge called my credit card company and I got it reinstated for the cruise ship.

Well, that's it. All's well that ends well. I got lots of hugs from new and old friends. People I didn't know came up and welcomed me aboard ship. Some people bought me drinks.

It was a great cruise, but I felt something missing. I wanted to stay onboard another three nights!!!!

One last rule. No. Six: Take out travel insurance. Never leave home without it. Portal to portal. That little stay cost about $900.

love

joan

Wow, what a story. At least you took it with a positive outlook. We never travel anymore without the travel insurance after we had a car wreck in Cozumel and almost missed the ship.

Glad you were able to catch back up with the ship.

Dave

Joan,

Thanks so much for sharing your story with us. I can't even know what stress factor you were dealing with when you noticed your passport/wallet was not with you.. Did someone steal it or was it missplaced? just wondering that? Sounds like the embassy really came to your aid. Love England.

I never use to get insurance either.. But on my last cruise they air lifted a person while we were still sailing away in the middle of the atlantic. And the whole time I was praying that this family had purchased insurance to help with the cost of that ride? It just amazed me that the ship never slowed down or stopped.

Glad you were able to make some of the trip?

You sound like a very brave lady. I am glad your son didn't yell at you either. Sounds like he took good care of you.

Also I wanted to say how special the people are here on CC offering money to help you, and one person offering to stay and be with you is just too much. I bet you will never forget that as long as you live.;)

Deb

I'm so glad that it worked out for you and you were able to catch the ship.

It's good to know that you can easily catch the ship at another port, have always been curious about how easy this really is. Sounds like Celebrity did their best to make it as simple as possible to get on board. Nice to see! :D

From what I've read on other posts, sounds like the trip was good once on board! I'm sure you were ready for a few Martini's. :)

I had my passport stolen in Budapest, so can truly feel for you (and I was on a 2 month trip, solo, so also understand being alone in another country with no ID).

Another thing to add to you already extensive list:

1. Keep a photo copy of your passport in your luggage in the hotel. If it does get stolen this will make things a lot faster at the Embassy.

2. As you stated, don't lose it on a weekend. I had my stolen on the Friday night before Columbus Day weekend, so had to wait for three days to get my new one. Of course, I guess we can't time thieves, unfortunately!

Thanks again for sharing your story, always a good reminder... and as I said above, I'm glad that it all worked out well and you were able to have a good cruise once boarding the ship in Dublin.

Cheers,

-Lori

They used to tell you to keep a photocopy of your passport but really, it isn't necessary any more. They ask you some questions and if you answer them correctly, you can get your passport in an hour. I had NO ID when I went to the Embassy, and we moved right along.

About 25 years ago I came down with pneumonia in Spain while my passport was expiring. (Got caught in a cloudburst along the Costa del Sol>) Luckily I was visiting a nephew and his wife in Madrid when I became ill, so I had a place to stay and good care. BUT....

It took almost a week to get my passport replaced in those pre-internet days, and I had the original with me. Process much faster these days!!!! Some time later I was with two friends crossing into Ireland on the ferry. One of them had her purse, and passport stolen. It took a week -- we applied in dublin and tooled around Ireland. When we came back two weeks later, they had her passport ready.

Just call me the Passport Mishap Lady. I have some gruesome tales to tell about lacking a passport! As I said, I am experienced with coping.

love

joan

Been there, done that...on a land trip to London many moons ago. They stole it from my hotel room. Back then you could get back home on a family passport. Don't think they do that any more.

I'm so sorry you had that stress to contend with. You certainly handled it well. I hope the rest of your vacation and cruise were much better. :eek:

I'm glad all worked out for you Joan!!

I cannot imagine how you felt as everyone left and you were there on your own.

But...we women are survivors and you kept your head and did what had to be done.

Thanks for the sound advice but I have to say I'm glad you were in the UK when this happened. Somewhere else and it might have been a different story.:(

Great story Joan...similar thing happended to us but at the end of our cruise. We too spent the weekend in London and reported to the embassy at 8:00 am. got a new passport issued and made our scheduled flight at 12:30! Whew. those guys at the embassy are very good and will do everything to help expedite your passport.

Joan,

I also read Gail's post of your horrors and kept checking to find out how it all turned out. I love reading it in your own words and am glad that things worked out for you and you were able to join the ship. You are truly an amazing lady and I hope I get to cruise with you some day.

Joan, you'll never know how hard it was for our bus to pull away from your hotel with you sitting out on the stoop, tears running down your face. Even our driver was upset.

But how glorious it was when we saw you in the Martini Bar that evening after we left Dublin. Of course, by then the word had spread that you were onboard and everyone had a light heart. I'm so glad I was finally able to meet and raise a glass with you. You're quite a special lady.:D

Garry

Thanks to Joan and other posters for sharing your stories and, more importantly, your tips to avoid (to the extent possible) this kind of catastrophe. Although this hasn't been part of our travel experience, we know there are no guarantees for the future. And as the short-term memory erodes and number of "senior moments" accelerate, ;) LOL, this demonstrates why we need to be as prepared as possible.

It is heartwarming to read how responsive personnel at the various embassies have been to assist people with these kinds of problems.

Thank you for sharing your story. I'd read about late joiners on that cruise due to passport problems. I'm so glad it worked out for you.:) You have fantastic friends with hearts of gold, and a wonderful, loving son. I'm sure you deserve all their affection and caring. You sound like a survivor with a terrific attitude. I guess this gives you another travel story for your memoirs!;)

Happy cruising!:D

Denise

It's kind of you to post your experiences in your own words for all of us to read, as well as offering the tips to help everyone be prepared for emergencies. I'm so happy for you that everything worked out in the end.

I can't even imagine what your feelings must have been to have everyone leave for the cruise, knowing that you should be going with them. And as Garry mentioned, it had to be very difficult for eveyone to drive away with you sitting on that stoop.

Thank you again for your post. We all waited and waited to hear how your situation turned out.

About a month ago, I had done exactly what you suggested, and made myself a little notebook for our cruise next month, filled in part, with emergency numbers and addresses. It's something we have always done for our travels, and it is something that has come in handy.

Take care,

Mary

I have been waiting to hear your story. I had bits and pieces here and there, and thought that maybe you had missed the start of the cruise, but I had no idea that it was this traumatic. I'm just glad that you made it and that everyone was able to welcome you when you arrived.

It is also good to hear that Celebrity was helpful too. Good pass port tips too.

What a story, Joan. If it's any comfort, your experience has been invaluable to all who have read it. We learned so, so much from you, even though we've been abroad literally dozens of times. I was happy to learn how today's technology simplifies and shortens the whole ordeal. But, as I pack for our upcoming Millie cruise Barcelona-Venice next month I'll use many of these suggestions. We'll be visiting "high-risk" cities where pickpockets and gypsies are prevalent so we will be on guard anyway but the back-up plans you suggested are invaluable.

Interestingly, out of 20 trips to Europe, the only time I ever lost anything was London. The thief probably thought he was getting my wallet out of my coat but it was only a tour book!

Still curious though, how did it happen? Or do you know?

Mary Anne

Joan, we were on that bus, that had to leave you in London, and I will never forget that disappointed look you had...but I will also never forget literally running into to you on the ship, soon after you boarded in Dublin! I was never so happy to see someone.

You are a remarkable woman...

Karyn

Always, always be practical and careful.

I had my passport stolen while I was sleeping on a transatlantic flight. I dosed off and my bag with the usual travel goodies, like meds, was next to me on the empty seat. I was going to Amsterdam for the weekend with a connection in Paris. When it came time to show my passport at the airport, it was missing.

It was stolen when I was dozing or when I went to the restroom that was only about ten feet away.

A police report was made at the airport and the embassy was notified. I was kept in the transit area and put on the next flight home. I was never even able to enter the country.

The passport was the only item taken. Of course wallet, money, etc. were in my pockets.

Certainly a surreal experience .... later I read an article about organized groups that flew long flights and robbed the sleeping passengers. It was easy to go into the overhead bins and help themselves. Many of the thieves were women. Passports of course were particularly prized.

As you probably guessed, mine now is always on my person when traveling.

People's guard can be down when in a perceived 'safe' place. I never occurred to me that I could be robbed on a plane.

Question - when you talk about "travel insurance" are you speaking of the insurance offered by the cruise line, or some other type??

Loved your heartwarming story Joan. The tips are invaluable and will keep them in mind.

We take out the "cruise care" insurance when cruising, just in case.

Thanks to all for their stories.

Kathy

Thanks to those who shared your experiences with missing passports. Yes, it can happen to anyone, no matter how careful! And I admit, I am careless and disorganized!

And thanks for all the kind words and best wishes from so many of you.

In some parts of the world, US passports, those little navy books, are highly prized. They can be altered to fit just about anyone by a passport "artist," I don't think that is the case so much anymore because of instant communications -- The numbers go into a computer and its status is flashed instantly. If that is, the original holder has turned it in as missing. I have had an amazing experience with that too -- using a passport which had been reported as stolen and returned to me and I tried to use it, unknowing that it has been permanently cancelled!

Yep, as I say, I could write a book about this!

love

joan

Joan, thanks for sharing your story.

It sort of reminded me of my first trip to Europe, back when I was in high school. The chaperons kept reminding all of us flighty teenagers to keep track at all times of our wallet and especially our passport.

We were about 2 weeks in and were in this little town on the Rhine in Germany when one of the chaperons walked out of a restaurant without her purse, which happened to have both her and her husbands passports in it. By the time she realized what she had done, her purse was gone. The next day as we got ready to move onto our next country, she and her husband had to take the train to Frankfurt (on money borrowed from the other chaperons) to try and replace everything. They caught up with us two days later in the Netherlands.

I often wear one of those under the clothes type money belts when I travel overseas. Then I usually have a small purse with lip stick and about $20 worth of local currency. That way if that gets stolen its no big deal.

But when you go through customs or pay a bigger bill, you have to practically undress to get to the pass port, credit cards or larger amounts of cash. Still It is much better than having to go through the trauma of replacing a passport.

I also absentmindedly left my purse in the Hong Kong airport lounge when I was on my way to the Phillipines. Luckily my husband had the pass ports on him and also had his corporate credit card to handle things when he had to cancel our joint accounts. Guess what, when we got back to Hong Kong a week later my purse was waiting for me at the police station with everything in it and even $20 cash.

Archived