Which formal night is most formal? And cocktail dress question

GracieM

Hello,

Not sure the men will be much help on this one...I am a first time cruiser going on a 10 day Carribean from NYC on Nov.30. Looking at these boards, I gather there are about 3 formal nights for a 10 day cruise? I have three formal gowns of different styles-- one is an elegant strapless, swingy ballgown (my favorite, perfect for waltzing), one a slinky cut on the bias dress with fishtail hem (form fitting, not a good choice for the end of the cruise), and the third is a simple column dress. Is there a particular formal night when everyone pulls out all stops that I should reserve my favorite ball gown for?

Also, the remaining non-formal nights I plan to wear various short cocktail dresses each night (bare legs and strappy sandals of course), is that the appropriate attire? Although I wear cocktail dresses all the time in NYC, I don't want to look overdressed if others are dressed down after a day at port on an tropical island. Would it be more appropriate to wear something I might wear at a high end island resort at night, say a cotton halter dress, rather than a dressier silk number? Thanks for the advice!

Hello Gracie and welcome to the Cunard board. Hope we can help you get your questions answered.

Formal wear, elegant casual etc are things we all ask about regularly...always a bit confusing even to those of us who have sailed QM2. You will find her a bit more formal as a rule at night. I lean towards the silky, slinky formal stuff...easier to pack!! We will be doing the same cruise as yours only I sail Nov 10th so I"ll report back on what I saw onboard. last time I did a daily blog and may try to do the same this time if I can.

I honestly can't say that one formal night seemed more formal than others....they all brought out people in elegant attire. And yes, it will be 3 formal nights according to my docs which arrived yesterday. Ther will be one informal and the rest elegant casual. I think you'll see a mix of cocktail things even on the informals...I know several of the gals on my roll call plan to be dressier than casual. We eat late seating which gives us more time with the port stops to dress up. Maybe use the snuggest dress the first formal night?? I don't think you'll see much deviation from formal regardless which it is. So many Cunard people sail for the formality of the evenings and it's lovely.

For elegant casual I plan on bringing silky summer=y dresses, pant outfits and cocktail type things. You'll enjoy dressing up in the elegant surroundings. It just feels special.

I did this trip last year in the 7 days version and a link to my review of it is in my signature below. it might give you an idea of the overall ambiance.

There is also a very active Roll Call for your cruise and you might want to join to meet some of the folks you will sail with. Generally a meet and greet is planned for the first sea day and it's fun to meet your fellow CCers. Go to this link for your Roll Call and say hello to them...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=459844

And do enjoy your cruise...she is one awesome ship!! I adore her!

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

Hi Gracie and welcome to Cunardland.

I will reiterate Penny's comments. In my experience, formal is just that. The standard remains high no matter what form the evening takes. However, I must add the caveat that I am limited to crossings. I prefer other ships for cruises.

I would seriously suggest that you read Penny's review which should clarify most queries you may have.

David

In my opinion, if you have to pick one night to dress a little better of the 3, I choose the night you have the Captain's party. You have your picture taken and are standing up ...on display... more than other nights.

Thanks for the replies, especially given how specific my questions are. Excellent, I love dressing up (as does my beau, fortunately). Fortunately, here in nyc I have access to all the great sample sales...

Hi Gracie! We are also on your sailing. You will find QM2 very dressy even on "elegant casual" night.

Here's a link to the fashion and beauty board from cruise critic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

There is a wealth of information to be gleaned from reading the posts. Take some with a grain or two of salt, however;)

Seriously, last year on the QM2 -- 7 day out of Ft Lauderdale, we had three formal nights. I don't wear gowns. I do evening suits with jackets and long skirts or pants. On the so-called casual nights, Steve felt very underdressed because he was wearing an open shirt and no jacket. This was way too casual.

The next casual night, he wore a jacket and tie.

Think cocktail dresses and dressy outfits in addition to your gowns. On sea days, if you stay indoors like I do, you will need warm clothes because the ship is freezing cold. I always had a hoody or sweater with me and always long pants. I'm not a sun worshiper so I tend to stay inside as much as possible. I hate the heat.

The ship is magnificent. I broke my own "no cruise longer than 7 day" rule for this ship. I am really looking forward to this trip -- especially because we are driving up from Baltimore and we don't have any baggage restrictions. Loosely translated this means MORE SHOES!

Looking forward to meeting you next month.

Best --

Judy

Hi Gracie! We are also on your sailing. You will find QM2 very dressy even on "elegant casual" night.

Here's a link to the fashion and beauty board from cruise critic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

There is a wealth of information to be gleaned from reading the posts. Take some with a grain or two of salt, however;)

Seriously, last year on the QM2 -- 7 day out of Ft Lauderdale, we had three formal nights. I don't wear gowns. I do evening suits with jackets and long skirts or pants. On the so-called casual nights, Steve felt very underdressed because he was wearing an open shirt and no jacket. This was way too casual.

The next casual night, he wore a jacket and tie.

Think cocktail dresses and dressy outfits in addition to your gowns. On sea days, if you stay indoors like I do, you will need warm clothes because the ship is freezing cold. I always had a hoody or sweater with me and always long pants. I'm not a sun worshiper so I tend to stay inside as much as possible. I hate the heat.

The ship is magnificent. I broke my own "no cruise longer than 7 day" rule for this ship. I am really looking forward to this trip -- especially because we are driving up from Baltimore and we don't have any baggage restrictions. Loosely translated this means MORE SHOES!

Looking forward to meeting you next month.

Best --

Judy

Hey Judy, thanks for the reminder about the cold. I am planning on take a silk blazer for day inside and formal jackets for the evenings. Do you think I need something like a pashmina too?

I have planned to wear a knee-length black dress with various jackets/sweaters, whether it says casual or semi formal. Have my 3 gowns picked out too (assuming I don't change my mind).

We are glad to be driving too...I can take more clothes and bring more purchases home!

Melissa

Hey Judy, thanks for the reminder about the cold. I am planning on take a silk blazer for day inside and formal jackets for the evenings. Do you think I need something like a pashmina too?

I have planned to wear a knee-length black dress with various jackets/sweaters, whether it says casual or semi formal. Have my 3 gowns picked out too (assuming I don't change my mind).

We are glad to be driving too...I can take more clothes and bring more purchases home!

Melissa

Hi Melissa....I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at not being chilly anyplace last Dec. I expected public rooms to be on the cool side so I had a shawl every evening and barely bothered to use it. And I had strapless or sleeveless gowns and dresses. At no point was I uncomfortable and I"m usually the first one to complain about being chilly. I"ll take shawls agon but hopefully won't need them.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

A question here--what would you all consider to be Informal other than cocktail dresses? I've been collecting separates because next year we will have to fly several times, so the need to carry only what's allowed is hanging over my head like a sword of Damocles.

Archived