Brand Newbie Question...

metsno1

Hi! I've spent the last few hours lurking and reading and searching and I'm feeling, oh.....let's just say a bit overwhelmed with everything there is to learn before making a decision.

Here's the deal....It's me, my wife, and our two daughters (9 and 7). We've never been on a cruise, but have a very strong feeling that it's our kind of vacation. It's only been in the last year or so that finances have allowed us to even start thinking, let alone actually planning for something.

So what I'd like to do is this: First, I think I'd like to start with something short, like a three night trip for just my wife and I. That would give us a feel if it's something that we'll really like for the whole crew, plus it's a great amount of time for us to be away from the kids-not too short and not too long. I'm thinking of something in April or May for the short trip. Then we could plan something longer with the kids in the Summer.

Where in all of this massive heap of information should I begin????!!??? The only thing we know for sure is that we'd like to leave from somewhere on the East Coast and end up in Bermuda or the Caribbean (we live in Upstate NY). Other than that, everything else is up in the air!

One other question at this point....can a family of four actually sleep comfortably in a single interior cabin?????? Looks awfully tiny to me-no matter what ship I'm looking at, but some of them say that can accommodate four!!

Thanks for any advice and for any links to first timer sites that I might have missed!!

I'm not sure a 3 or 4 day cruise would be the best way to start, as I have a feeling those trips are much different than a longer one (more of a "party" cruise), but I've never been on one, so someone else will know better. As far as where to start, I check one of the internet travel sites that lets me choose the month and the port I want to leave from, and that way I see what's offered and about how much the trip will cost. Once I've narrowed my options, I start price shopping.

Cabins on a ship are small - often much smaller than a hotel room, but you don't spend much time in your cabin unless you have toddlers who nap (like me). The 2 extra beds usually pull down from the ceiling or wall and are brought out while you're at dinner by your room steward, so they're not in the way during the day. You'd be amazed how well they do with arranging that little amount of space.

I hope you have a great time. I started cruising when I was about your childrens' ages, and my family has had many of our best times on board a ship.

Best,

Mia

Hi! I've spent the last few hours lurking and reading and searching and I'm feeling, oh.....let's just say a bit overwhelmed with everything there is to learn before making a decision.

Here's the deal....It's me, my wife, and our two daughters (9 and 7). We've never been on a cruise, but have a very strong feeling that it's our kind of vacation. It's only been in the last year or so that finances have allowed us to even start thinking, let alone actually planning for something.

So what I'd like to do is this: First, I think I'd like to start with something short, like a three night trip for just my wife and I. That would give us a feel if it's something that we'll really like for the whole crew, plus it's a great amount of time for us to be away from the kids-not too short and not too long. I'm thinking of something in April or May for the short trip. Then we could plan something longer with the kids in the Summer.

Where in all of this massive heap of information should I begin????!!??? The only thing we know for sure is that we'd like to leave from somewhere on the East Coast and end up in Bermuda or the Caribbean (we live in Upstate NY). Other than that, everything else is up in the air!

One other question at this point....can a family of four actually sleep comfortably in a single interior cabin?????? Looks awfully tiny to me-no matter what ship I'm looking at, but some of them say that can accommodate four!!

Thanks for any advice and for any links to first timer sites that I might have missed!!

Just a few quick thoughts...

Since you haven't cruised before, I'd search for a seasoned travel agent to help guide you through the process. After a few trips, come back here and find out how to save a few bucks by booking online. I'd find a travel agent at a cruise-specific travel agency. They have all sorts of books and brochures for different cruise lines. This is a busy time of year for travel agents (it gets cold and people start thinking about cruising to the warm areas of the planet), so if you don't feel good about the attention the first travel agent you talk to gives you, go to another until you get lots of attention. Ask your friends who they recommend.

If you're worried about 4 people in an inside cabin, I'd suggest you wait until there are upgrade sales. Some travel agents can find you free upgrades or will give them to you free. If you can't find any deal, I think you'd be fine in an inside cabin. You really won't spend much time there. On formal night, you can shower in the spa while the girls get ready in the cabin. Or, rather than doing 2 cruises, do one nice, long cruise in a balcony cabin. I don't think you need to worry about your kids liking cruising. Some people like to book a "guarantee" cabin. You don't get to pick your favorite cabin location (ie. midship, surrounded by cabins above and below), but you can save some cash. You might want to book Balcony Guarantee.

I'd suggest finding a nice, huge ship to sail on (look at Royal Caribbean). The big ones have the most things to do. Carnival has huge ships too and a fun kid camp. Carnival is relatively cheap.

Next I'd recommend reading as much as you can on cruise critic. You'll become an expert in no time. If you have a question, fire away. People here are so helpful (although a little too opinionated sometimes...don't let people get you down)!

You'll love the Caribbean. Start reading the Ports of Call section. After reading your brochures from your TA, start looking up the ports from the cruises you like. Let the ports decide which ship you'll go on. I've been keeping a list of people's favorite islands (from this board and another). The islands people seem to love are St. John, St. Lucia, Bermuda, ... Personally, I love St. Thomas and Martinique, but I haven't been to the others I listed. You could post a question about favorite islands on the Ask a Cruise Question Board. Then I'd head for those islands on a big, fun ship with a good kids' camp.

Planning for a cruise is SO much fun. This board is amazing. Welcome and happy planning!

The only other thing I'll add is that I think you should be careful with a short cruise for you and your wife. In the spring you will run into a lot of spring breakers. They are college students who can't afford much, so there will be oodles of them on the shorter cruises. Just a thought. If it were me, I'd do a longer cruise in a nicer cabin for the whole family next summer.:)

A few sites:

http://cruiseclues.com/

cruise diva dot com

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/

cruise clues dot com

http://www.insuremytrip.com/

To see pictures of all sorts of cruise stuff (ships, cabins, etc.) do a search here:

http://www.webshots.com/

I'm not sure a 3 or 4 day cruise would be the best way to start' date=' as I have a feeling those trips are much different than a longer one (more of a "party" cruise), but I've never been on one, so someone else will know better. [/quote']

I agree with the above poster. Don't start with a short cruise because they are really different than a 7-day. Also, if you're traveling from NY you might as well get the most out of your travel and go for a longer cruise.

Good luck!

Wow...thanks for the well thought out replies everyone. I appreciate it very much.

It's not so much that I'm worried about 4 people in a small space. It's just that the photos/online tours that I've seen of interior cabins made me question just where the heck the extra beds would fit! But it sounds like they come out of the walls or hang from the ceiling. That makes sense, and sounds very doable for our crew!

Can anyone elaborate on the differences between a 3 day and a 7 day? Truth be told, we're not opposed to a little bit of a party atmosphere if it's just the two of us!!:D:D But I don't want the ship to be filled with college kids on spring break, either:eek:!! So perhaps waiting until most breaks are over would prevent some of that. But if people really don't think a three day is a good idea (or similar enough to a 7-day to get a good feel for it), then I'll rethink it carefully. I appreciate the opinions very much.

And thanks for the specific ship/line recommendations. My first impulses had been that Carnival looked like the right choice, other than perhaps Disney. But we just got back from two weeks in Disney World, and to tell you the truth, I'm a little over Disneyfied right about now.

Thanks again!

If you go in March/April, you will probably encounter a lot of Spring Breakers so I would avoid that time period if possible. I have noticed that the short weekday cruises seem a little more tame than the weekend ones- just my experience.

If you don't mind a bit of a partying atmosphere you will probably have a good time on a short cruise and it's a nice intro. My boyfriend and I have taken several 3-4 nighters and we love it - it's an easy amount of time for us to take from our careers and makes for a refreshing getaway. However, we are only a few years out of college ourselves so, the younger crowd doesn't really bother us.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time whatever you decide. Happy cruising! :D

Wow...thanks for the well thought out replies everyone. I appreciate it very much.

Can anyone elaborate on the differences between a 3 day and a 7 day? Truth be told, we're not opposed to a little bit of a party atmosphere if it's just the two of us!!:D:D But I don't want the ship to be filled with college kids on spring break, either:eek:!! So perhaps waiting until most breaks are over would prevent some of that. But if people really don't think a three day is a good idea (or similar enough to a 7-day to get a good feel for it), then I'll rethink it carefully. I appreciate the opinions very much.

And thanks for the specific ship/line recommendations. My first impulses had been that Carnival looked like the right choice, other than perhaps Disney. But we just got back from two weeks in Disney World, and to tell you the truth, I'm a little over Disneyfied right about now.

Thanks again!

I'm sure a 3 day cruise is a ton of fun, but I'd also like to hear if a 3 day cruise resembles a 7 day? I think a 3 day would be fun if the port is convenient to you and you grab a good sale fare, but I don't think it's something to do to test whether you think a 7 day will work for your family. I agree with the previous posters to just dive in and plan a great 7 day.

Myself, I don't worry about which line as much as I look at the itinerary and then the price (so I can take more cruises). I can't imagine that the extra cost of a Disney cruise is worth it unless you really want to live the Disney experience every minute of your vacaion. The first time I was taking my children, Princess worked out to be the least expensive on the itinerary I wanted, but I didn't think of them as being the most family friendly, yet we were surrounded by families having as much fun as we. These days I don't think you can go wrong with kids on Carnival, Princess or Royal Carib - but these boards will help you decide - I've learned so much and I know that my trips have been so successful because of all that cruisinmamma and others have shared. Carnival has a huge water slide on their ships, Princess has movies by the pool on some, RCCL has a great water park that I'm DYING to try next.

Take a 3 day to enjoy a quick trip with your wife, but don't let it have anything to do with whether you take a 7 day. Once on board, I never think 7 days is enough!

Best,

Mia

OK my first question is do they even do 3 day cruises from NYC? Unless you are doing a "cruise to nowhere" you won't find a 3 dayer from New York. There are 5 dayers to Bermuda that leave from Phillie and Baltimore. But I can tell you that because the demand to leave from a North East Coast port is HIGH, the prices are HIGH as well.

For the cost of a 5 dayer, you could do a 7 dayer on a newer ship out of Florida. You can get direct CHEAP flights to Florida ports on Jet Blue out of New York.

And Disney will be more than ANY other commercial cruiseline. So you have to REALLY want to do Disney to pay that price....lol.

I live in the North East and I have yet to take a cruise out of the North East (out of 8 cruises) because I find better deals and better ships in Florida.

So, as far as cruiselines. My #1 choice is RCCL. My 2nd is Carnival (but only based on the options for kids to do and the price paid)

Some around here like Princess, I've never done Princess. Basically once I start looking at the price of Princess ships, I know I can be on an RCCL ship with more ammenities, so I always go for the RCCL ship. ;)

You can find deals everywhere though. I've done Carnival for as low as $245 TOTAL per person for the 1st and 2nd person. That was for an ocean view cabin. The kids were only $145 each.

The week after Thanksgiving is a cheap week to travel. Also, the last 2 weeks of August are cheap (since many kids go back to school early). We also like to cruise the last week of April/1st week of May.

Since your children are 7 and 9, I suggest taking them WITH you for the first cruise. You will be amazed how much stuff there is for them to do. You can click the link in my signature and see the list of activities for each age on different cruiselines.

If you are concerened about running into a bunch of college spring breakers on your 3-day, I would suggest looking at the very end of April or beginning of May which will be after spring-break but before the summer break.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the cruise lines ususally have their older/smaller ships sailing the the shorter itineraries, so the 3-day cruise you take will likely be a very different experience from your 7-day cruise. The larger and or newer ships sailing the 7-day itineraries tend to have more to offer children. Carnival has introduced the "Evolutions of Fun" project to make-over their older Fantasy class of ships. It includes a new adults-only area, expanded kid's areas, and a new waterpark along with remodeled cabins. Here's a link: http://www.carnival.com/cms/Static_Templates/Promos/evolutionsoffun/default.aspx. The Inspiration and Imagination will both have this makeover completed by the end of 2007, so you might want to look into those two ships.

My vote is for the longer (7 day) cruise too. There is the above mentioned reasons, the shorter brings more party goers, etc. BUT to me the worst part of cruising is the getting on and off part. On a short cruise it just seems like you got on and settled and now its time to get off, no chance to relax and get into the groove. Also you don't get quite the same bond with the waiters and other crew members on a short cruise either. My kids have been cruising since they were young and my grandkids are starting really young (my GD will be only 6 months on her first, my GS was 1-1/2) and they've never been bored. I can't think of a more fun thing to do with my kids. Think of the small inside cabin as a tent when you're camping when you're thinking space. Big enough for what you need and you entertain yourself outside the room.

Once again, thanks to everyone for their responses and participation!

A couple of clarifying points....

I'm not anticipating taking a cruise out of NYC. The only thing offered that's in our price or time range is a 5 or 6 day to New England/Canada, which sounds nice but won't help me plant myself on a beach with snorkeling gear any time soon! We have no problem flying to Miami, etc., even if it's just for a short cruise. Airfares from here are pretty reasonable.

So it sounds like people are leaning against the 3-day as a "learning experience." That makes sense to me. But I have to admit, the idea of the shorter cruise-just for the experience in and of itself-still has some appeal to me. I noticed a few responders have taken multiple three day trips, but still describe them as significantly different from a longer cruise. Is there anybody out there who would recommend, in and of itself, the shorter cruises? Anything specific?

Thanks!

Is there anybody out there who would recommend, in and of itself, the shorter cruises? Anything specific?

Thanks!

Not me. You request the time off work, shop for cruise clothes, shop for all sorts of travel related items, pack your bags, have your mail and newspapers held, arrange for someone to take care of kids and pets, pay all your bills so they don't pile up, cruise for 3 nights (one of them the night you flew in), then go back home and do laundry for a few days. I'm not even sure I'd unpack my bag for a short cruise. I'm not even sure I'd be able to see all corners of the ship in 3 nights given at least 1 port.

If it were me, I'd tell a travel agent that I have $X to spend. I'd like a long-ish (7-8 night) cruise to anywhere warm on a newish ship. I'd like to be in a balcony cabin. I want the BEST deal you can find at any time of year. I'm patient. Unless you're worried about taking too much time off work, why wouldn't you go on a longer cruise? There are bargains to be found. Cruising can be VERY inexpensive if you shop around. For example, we're taking our family of 4 on Carnival Liberty for 6 nights. We are spending less than $2000 on that cruise. It works out to less than $80/day/person. That's a deal! I booked early and was somewhat flexible.

I think you will have a blast no matter how long you choose to cruise. I just think you'll be VERY disappointed when it comes time to disembark after 3 nights.

Have fun planning. Isn't this board great? :)

Yeah, this board is very responsive! With lots of good advice, too.

Well, work is no big deal. I'm self-employed and can schedule what I want when I want. The main reason that I was looking at a short cruise was because I thought it would be a cool option for my wife and I to get away by ourselves for the first time in a long time. We've not been good about that at all since our first daughter was born. At the same time, neither of us would be too happy being away from the kids for more than a few days.

So far, it seems like the general consensus is to follow your advice-a decent length of time on a big ship. And since we can travel on relatively short notice and just about whenever we want, I'll just start shopping around for the best deal I can find, take my time, talk to a TA, and just keep asking questions here! Thanks again to everyone.

Well, work is no big deal. I'm self-employed and can schedule what I want when I want. The main reason that I was looking at a short cruise was because I thought it would be a cool option for my wife and I to get away by ourselves for the first time in a long time. We've not been good about that at all since our first daughter was born. At the same time, neither of us would be too happy being away from the kids for more than a few days.

So far, it seems like the general consensus is to follow your advice-a decent length of time on a big ship. And since we can travel on relatively short notice and just about whenever we want, I'll just start shopping around for the best deal I can find, take my time, talk to a TA, and just keep asking questions here! Thanks again to everyone.

I'm a sucker for my kids too. In that case, shop around and find a deal on a short cruise. We parents deserve to take care of ourselves from time to time. I should probably take my own advice. My youngest is 16 months...I still haven't left my kids (3 and 16 mo) alone with a sitter overnight. I'm a sucker. I can totally relate to not wanting to leave them for too long, but wanting to leave them desperately. :p

Hi:

My husband I have taken 3 day cruises, 7 days and next week we will try a 4 day one. IMHO, a 3 day is too short. Our 3 day was with RCL Sovereign of the Seas .We drove to Pt. Canaveral, board the ship, toured it, took pics, went to the drill, got ready for dinner, went to welcome aboard show, walk around some more, sleep. 2nd day, CocoCay (private island)woke up early, breakfast, took tender to island, laid on the beach with a book and drink all day, till was time to leave. Got back to the cabin and started packing:eek: What aready????? Went to dinner, then show got back put suitcases outside of cabin and it was time to say Adios the next day. On a 4 day cruise you would at a "sea day" so you would add an extra day to enjoy the ship. Since we cruised the Sovereign I heard it was refurbished and looks pretty good (it was a bit worned down when we went). My sister/brother in law went on a 3 or 4 day (can't remember) and had a great time (we baby sat for them). It was their first cruise.

Please note if you fly, it would be a good idea to fly the night before, stay in a hotel, and take a shuttle the next morning to board the ship. So you are adding a day to your vacation.

Now if you take a 7 :D day you will have more time to enjoy the ship, rest from excursions and choose different daily activities. Our favorite ports of call are St. Thomas/ St. John( Eastern Caribbean more moutains) St. John is like a "real island" mostly forest, beautiful beaches while St. Thomas is more commercialized. Western Caribbean is alright ( been there 2 times) still beautiful beaches, the islands are pretty flat, more shopping than "nature". Our favorite ship was Celebrity Century, Golden Princess, and Voyager of the Seas. If you cannot be away from your little ones for a whole 7 days alot of ship have great children's programs. I remember on the voyager they had an awesome children's area, complete with pools, and little deck chairs. Voyager class ships are awesome, spacious and they have a lot of activities for the whole family.

No matter what you decide you will have so much fun. Crusing is a wonderful kind of vacation. You will be hooked!!!! The planning is just the start! Every ship and experience are different. I am glad you we went on a 3 day (hey we are on a cruise) BUT it was too short.

Good luck!

Neya

I HAVE taken two 4 day cruises. We flew out on a Thursday and were back by Tuesday. The 4 day cruises to the Bahamas are the cheapest. Look for these ships, RCCL Sovereign/Monarch/Majesty or Carnival Sensation

If the price isn't that much different between RCCL and Carnival, then go RCCL. I've been in the middle of the party boat and it's not that much fun to see people use the ship as their own personal garbage can.

Crusies that go to the Bahamas have an overnight in Nassau which is cool because you can get on and off the ship at your leisure. And we spend our time there at Atlantis Paradise Island.

We always cruise with our kids, 4 in a cabin, and we love it! I've even sailed 5 in a cabin and never felt too cramped, but note, I am used to vacationing in a motorhome.

I have a picture of our cute interior cabin with bunks attached below. I was worried beforehand about reserving an interior room because I am claustrophobic, but the room was so bright and cheerful that I never felt any discomfort. An outside view makes the cabin seem even roomier, plus some outside cabins are larger.

My advice: Take the 7 day cruise!

Your first cruise is unlike any other you will ever take!

Do it justice because you will remember it forever.

If you are like most of us, no matter how long you cruise, it will not be long enough.

I have found that the first day and last day of a cruise are pretty much a washout because of all the packing and unpacking, getting oriented, making plans (especially with kids). A 3-day trip would only leave one good day in the middle. You'd be leaving just as you were beginning to discover what you liked.

NOTE - Read the ship newsletter and register the kids for the Kids program the first night. It's a great way for kids of all ages to meet their peers, make friends on the ship, and participate in fun activities.

96591798_CabinwithBunks2.jpg.56a4eab90813c487f2b81bdd57c29b2f.jpg

We always cruise with our kids, 4 in a cabin, and we love it! I've even sailed 5 in a cabin and never felt too cramped, but note, I am used to vacationing in a motorhome.

I have a picture of our cute interior cabin with bunks attached below. I was worried beforehand about reserving an interior room because I am claustrophobic, but the room was so bright and cheerful that I never felt any discomfort. An outside view makes the cabin seem even roomier, plus some outside cabins are larger.

My advice: Take the 7 day cruise!

Your first cruise is unlike any other you will ever take!

Do it justice because you will remember it forever.

If you are like most of us, no matter how long you cruise, it will not be long enough.

I have found that the first day and last day of a cruise are pretty much a washout because of all the packing and unpacking, getting oriented, making plans (especially with kids). A 3-day trip would only leave one good day in the middle. You'd be leaving just as you were beginning to discover what you liked.

NOTE - Read the ship newsletter and register the kids for the Kids program the first night. It's a great way for kids of all ages to meet their peers, make friends on the ship, and participate in fun activities.

:D :D :D Wow...Thanks so much for posting that photo! I can't tell you how easy it is for us to make a decision on the "4 to a cabin" thing after seeing that. Heck, we're not even motor home travellers! We're tent campers! My wife and I just looked at the picture and immediately said "Oh, that's perfect! No problem at all!"

That pretty much decides it for us. It'll be a 7-10 day cruise either in the Spring during a school break or right after school lets out for the Summer-likely the latter! What better way to start a nice long summer vacation!!

As I mentioned earlier, we just got back from two weeks in Disney World, and I was beginning to go through travel withdrawal when I got the idea to start researching cruises. Looks like this board will be my next obsession, just like Disboards.com have been for the past six months or so!

So if YOU were able to choose a perfect first family cruise, what would it be for you? Destinations? Time of Year?

The Caribbean holds a lot of appeal to us. Hawaii perhaps more so, but the cost with airfare seems pretty prohibitive. Alaska sounds great, but the first one has to be to warm weather and beaches! We would LOVE to snorkel, surf, boogie board (and shop and eat)! Sound like the Caribbean would be a good choice (we've never been before)??!!

Once again, and I can't say it enough, thanks to everyone for their replies!!

I'm glad you liked the picture.

I've found that Norwegian and Carnival are both family friendly and usually have the best third and fourth person rates.

Hawaii was our first cruise and nothing we've ever done in life compared to that trip. If you've never been there, then that is my suggestion. There are actually ships that go there from Los Angeles (Princess and Holland America), but those are 15 day trips.

For kids, check out the Norwegian Spirit. The kids' pool looks like it is straight out of Disneyworld. The review on this website is a good one.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=299

We are planning a New Year's cruise this year on the Spirit out of New Orleans.

The Royal Caribbean Voyageur Class ships also look like some of the best for kids with ice skating rinks, wave runner pools and rock climbing. Those have always been out of my price range, though. Some day .... :)

Your girls will most likely be amazed at how wonderful the kids' programs are -- and they are complimentary -- up to 9 hours a day! That gives you and your wife plenty of personal freedom.

Kids' programs usually run 9am-12pm, 2pm-5pm, 7pm-10pm. The hours in between are good for dining together, swimming, and family time. Of course my kids were always counting the minutes until they could go back to Planet Kids.

Archived