HELP with plan B

itssunforme

We have rescheduled our cruise from the Carnival Glory to the Legend because of drastic itenerary changes due to Costa Maya port closing.....

We were looking forward to Costa Maya being a stop for "just beaching it" and shopping.

It seems, from what I read, that I can have a similar experience at Grand Cayman if we go to 7 mile beach...Is that true? Are taxi's readily available and reasonably priced right from the port... We try to avoid booking excursions with the cruiseline unless it seems it's in our best interest for time and safety.. We are traveling with our boys 9/11 and another family of 4 (kids 9/15)....

I appreciate any suggestion and taxi experience.

There will be cabs lined up to take you to 7MB. I'd head to Sea Grape or Royal Palms (closer to the port area). I believe the cost of the cab is around $4 per person each way. The cabs are van-types and from what I remember, they seat 8 or so people. We always rent cars, so my experiences with cabs has been by just observing them.

Here's Royal Palm's website (below). Sea Grape does not have a website, at least not one that I've seen, but they both offer basically the same thing...restrooms, chairs, food and water toy rental.

http://www.reefgrill.com/pages/cruiseinfo.html

Grand Cayman is a very safe island (which is why we keep going back), just use the same caution as you would at home. You can venture out anywhere on the island, on your own, and be perfectly safe doing this.

Things are much more expensive on GC than they are in Mexico. We almost always use credit cards (and have had no problems with funny fees or anything like that). You can also use USD, but your change will most likely be in CD (you can ask if they have USD for change). The prices on the menu will be in CD, so when you get your bill just ask what the bill is in USD and they'll write it on for you. Also, most places will add on the tip, so make sure and look for this or you'll end up tipping twice.

Here's GC's port authority website so you can check and see how many ships will be in port the day you're there. If there are 4 or 5 or less, it should be great, but we've been there when there are 10 ships and the place is a zoo (we almost always head over to the other side of the island on those days).

http://www.caymanport.com/schedule.htm

Have a great time! Grand Cayman is a wonderful place to visit. :)

If you prefer you can walk for 5 minutes and take the bus for CI $2 (about 2.50 US) per person. The bus depot is next to the Public Library. You'll find plenty of cabs to return or you can wave a bus down from the side of the road. The buses are vans with a circle on the front or rear and they come every 5 to 10 minutes. As far as the number of ships, they won't have more than 7 this season.

Thanks for the comprehensive advice....It looks like there will be 6 other ships there the day we port in GC so Royal Palms may be "less crowded" than 7 mile as 7mile seems more well known....I take it you feel Royal Palms and Sea Grape are just as beautiful as the beaches of 7 mile and any word on the snorkeling??

Thanks for the comprehensive advice....It looks like there will be 6 other ships there the day we port in GC so Royal Palms may be "less crowded" than 7 mile as 7mile seems more well known....I take it you feel Royal Palms and Sea Grape are just as beautiful as the beaches of 7 mile and any word on the snorkeling??

Royal Palms & Sea Grape "are" on 7MB.;) :cool: Snorkel on the cheap at Eden Rock(next to cruise tender docks) or Cemetary Beach(far end of 7MB)

Thanks, I didn't know....But we have our snorkel gear...just wondering where we will see the best coral/sea life and still be near facilities and food with easy taxi ride....Thanks for all info!;)

Is the snorkeling good at Sea Grape and Royal Palms (Which does your family prefer) Or do you lounge there and snorkel at the other locations that you mentioned?

Thanks, I didn't know....But we have our snorkel gear...just wondering where we will see the best coral/sea life and still be near facilities and food with easy taxi ride....Thanks for all info!;)

Is the snorkeling good at Sea Grape and Royal Palms (Which does your family prefer) Or do you lounge there and snorkel at the other locations that you mentioned?

The snorkeling at Sea Grape/Royal Palms is great.... if you like looking at clean white sand.

If you want to see sea-life from the beach, go to Cemetery Beach. Eden Rock has sea-life, but no beach (Iron shore)

Search "Cemetary Beach" or "Cemetery Beach" in this forum for more details. There are NO vendors/facilities at Cemetery Beach.

We took the bus to Cemetery Beach in April. There were 5 ships in port and when we passed 7 mile beach it was CROWDED. Maybe 30 people at Cemetary and we had a great time. Nice sandy beach, and saw lot's of fish. We are going to GC again on the Valor and this time rent a car and do Rum Point and go to Hell:)

Zandra

Archived