Water safe to drink in Europe?

No, the water in most areas is very safe to drink. You might only be careful in some South-Eastern European regions.

Yet, as you ask about restaurants, in most parts of Europe it is custom to buy bottled water. You normally do not get tab water as it is usual in the States. If you ask for water you get a bottle you need to pay.

If you ask for water you get a bottle you need to pay.

True.

However, if you specifically ask for tap water, there is a good chance you may get it in Western Europe. If not, then bottled it is.

It may be worth brushing up on "tap water" in the languages you need before you go.

Tap water is fine.Rome has some really good tap water!! I very seldom get bottled water in restos and always ask for tap and have never had a problem.I only buy bottled when out and about and no fountains nearby.

Tap water is fine.Rome has some really good tap water!! I very seldom get bottled water in restos and always ask for tap and have never had a problem.I only buy bottled when out and about and no fountains nearby.

Don't bother with bottled water in Rome, plenty of constantly running water in drinking fountains just about where ever you go in Rome. The water tasted better than any bottled water or even regular tap water in the B&B we stopped in.

With the weather being so hot when we were there the water fountains were really appreciated.

David

I laughed out loud when I read this question, I shouldn't have, but I did.

I know, I should resist, but sometimes a question is just, well it's just:eek: .

I get angry when I see people get flamed but this really is one of the silliest questions I've read on CC. We're taling Europe here, not Timbuktu.

Sorry, I'll just get back on my high horse and ride away now

Sorry...but I disagree. This is not a silly question. Even if water is "safe" to drink it has by nature a degree of impurities and every government has a different tolerance level.

Also...the "impurities" in our every day water - wherever that might be - is what our bodies are use to so even "safe" water can be a little bit different for us.

Personally...no question is silly as long as it is asked with genuine sincerity.

And while I'm giving my opinion I'll add that publicly criticizing someone is not very nice.

I answered the question re the water,but it does get asked a lot,and I understand...but as the poster from Australia said people are going to Europe not a third world country where the water may be iffy.My point for this post is that I was flamed,criticzed,and "put in my place" on another thread for telling someone to do their homework on this board rather than post a question that has been asked a million times.It is not nice to have that done to you,and it is not nice to do that to this poster who probably meant nothing the post.Clothes,water,bathrooms and how to get to the port from Rome are trigger questions and always get the most replies.Sometimes someone just jumps in with a reply no one likes,and doesn't mean a thing.I try to reply to a lot of the questions that I can that I can hold my tongue,but a nasty reply from other's is not the way to go trust me on this.Sorry,but I just had to say what I felt on this.

From our recent experience, when we ask for water in a restaurant, the server assumed bottled and would ask us gas (carbonated) or no gas. Rome has public drinking fountains everywhere and we found it refreshing and had no problems drinking the water.

Well being European i was slightly insulted ........in an amused way lol

But then I've met English on a camping site in Franch who bought bottled water to brush their teeth......:confused: ,!!!!!!!!!!

I saw someone post on a Disney forum asking if the water was safe to drink in Florida lol

Seriously you might find the mineral content in southern european countries water unsettling , but its all safe to drink

Anywhere I go my plain liquid refreshment of choice is soda water, club soda or seltzer. I am fortunate when in Europe that I needn't go through the hoops that I must in most of North America. Water with gas is simple for me and I can actually get it with no problem. Now in Italy I was asked whether I wanted with light gas or regular gas.

Fran

Hey don't laugh, I live in south Florida and my city has been on a boil water order for more than a week.

It's not the boil water order....it's the WHY!

Not sure if I could drink it even after I boiled it...

When I was in Europe 30 years ago, most everyone on my tour got sick from the water. It's all what you are used to. I think it happened in Italy. I was wondering if after all those years, maybe the tap water has improved. I live in Florida and drink bottled water -- I think only because I'm originally from NY and could not stand the taste of Miami tap water. I even made my ice cubes with bottled water:p

I certainly hope it was safe to drink as we are just back from a month in Europe and we drank tap water everywhere. And the water from the fountains in Rome was wonderful we filled all our empty bottles there. The only place we purchased bottled water was in Marrakech, Morocco and it was probably okay to drink there but I wasn't sure. We did buy several of the orange juices at the Jema El Fana and they were the best I'd ever had.

It certainly was NOT a silly question! In Washington, DC, for a long, long time in the mid-1990's, DC health officials were warning residents not to drink the water. There was some sort of bacteria contaminating the entire system.

At the time, the locals were cynically passing around a joke about a Mexican planning to visit DC and whose friends all warned him, "just be sure you don't drink the water!"

When I am in London, I drink bottled water, the thought of the number of kidneys it has passed through puts me off

There used to be an old joke in the London are about tap water: "This water's Official; it's been passed by the Lord Chancellor...."

Here in Ocala it's pretty bad as is Orlando. Most restaurants serve lemon in the water to kill the taste. I wonder if there still is a problem with the water in Russia. Some years ago everyone who came back with amoebas in their system.

When we were in Italy a few years ago almost every table in restaurants had bottled water. Maybe it's an affectation or a symbol of affluence?

I wonder if there still is a problem with the water in Russia. Some years ago everyone who came back with amoebas in their system.

Yes, in St. Petersburg, the water is contaminated by giardia, and you absolutely should not drink it, ever. The water pipes in use there are the same ones installed when Peter the Great was first building the city, 300 years ago!

Archived