We Need Help For Fellow Cruiser On Wi-fi Service

raidernation

Yes, we know we are on vacation however we have a cruiser who owns a rather large size trucking company in the midwest and he will need to spend a few minutes daily approvinig financial matters. So, this being said I read the booklet in our docs. Is it my understanding that if he brings his laptop can he have free access to the internet in his cabin? Or does he have to buy minutes to use the wireless service? Or should he just buy the minutes at the internet cafe like everyone else does or has done? Thanks again for any help you folks can provide me on his situation.:)

Yes, we know we are on vacation however we have a cruiser who owns a rather large size trucking company in the midwest and he will need to spend a few minutes daily approvinig financial matters. So, this being said I read the booklet in our docs. Is it my understanding that if he brings his laptop can he have free access to the internet in his cabin? Or does he have to buy minutes to use the wireless service? Or should he just buy the minutes at the internet cafe like everyone else does or has done? Thanks again for any help you folks can provide me on his situation.:)

Any minutes used on the ship - wireless or not - is subject to a fee.

There is a small ($3.95 ?) one time access fee for any plan. From that point you can pay per minute, or buy a package of minutes.

Tom

Is it my understanding that if he brings his laptop can he have free access to the internet in his cabin? .:)

No free access, with or without a laptop. He will receive WIFI in his cabin but he will need to buy an internet package

100 minutes 55.00

250 minutes 100.00

or 75 cents per minute without the package.

Fred

I don't think it is free(but not really sure) - I think you have to do some type of sign-up (maybe get a special card for the laptop) at the Internet Cafe.

The plus of not going to the internet cafe is he doesn't have to worry about waiting for a PC to become available. :)

You could try calling Customer Service # maybe they would have the info.

I just got off the Liberty last month.

There was Wi-Fi access in my cabin. Of course your laptop has to have a Wi-Fi card in it. If you do not have a Wi-Fi card, carnival says one can be rented from the Internet Cafe.

I chose to purchase the55 min. for $100 package. There was a special on the first day of the cruise where you get additional min. when you sign up. These min. can be used whether you access via your own laptop or the internet cafe.

The internet access is slow. It is a satellite connection thus making it slightly faster than dial-up.

Full info here: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/On_Board_Internet_Cafes.aspx

Note that the packages offered depend upon the length of your cruise.

Like others have said, I would still bring my laptop despite price being the same. Part of it is security (I don't want to worry about any cookies or other info being left on their computers) and also convenience.

With your own computer: Sign on; Download email; sign off; read email; compose responses; sign back on to send.

With theirs: Sign on; stay on to read and respond to email.

Since the internet connection is considerably slower than what most of us normally use (unless someone is stll on dial-up), stay signed on to read and respond will eat the minutes up real fast.

Not to mention, if you have your own computer, it's a great way to back up your digital photos and look at them. I downloaded photos from my camera to the computer every evening so Mom could look at them -- much better than the tiny camera screen.

By the way, I was surprised to find out I had internet connection in my cabin on the Ecstasy in Sep. I don't know if it is ship wide or not but I had it in my Cat 12 cabin.

Full info here: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/On_Board_Internet_Cafes.aspx

Note that the packages offered depend upon the length of your cruise.

Like others have said, I would still bring my laptop despite price being the same. Part of it is security (I don't want to worry about any cookies or other info being left on their computers) and also convenience.

With your own computer: Sign on; Download email; sign off; read email; compose responses; sign back on to send.

With theirs: Sign on; stay on to read and respond to email.

Since the internet connection is considerably slower than what most of us normally use (unless someone is stll on dial-up), stay signed on to read and respond will eat the minutes up real fast.

Not to mention, if you have your own computer, it's a great way to back up your digital photos and look at them. I downloaded photos from my camera to the computer every evening so Mom could look at them -- much better than the tiny camera screen.

By the way, I was surprised to find out I had internet connection in my cabin on the Ecstasy in Sep. I don't know if it is ship wide or not but I had it in my Cat 12 cabin.

Although the connection was doggy it was quite a bit better than dial up.

If you connect late in the evening or early in the morning, when the number of users is low, the speed improves. Everyone is sharing a connection that's about 900K, about average for DSL at home.

Archived