Restuarant/food question in Grand Cayman

pinkaboo

Looking to enjooy some local food at a non dressy restuarant. We're notlooking for anything special or fancy, just a local place serving local foods at a reasonable price. Does anyone know if there are any restuarants close where the ships docks or tends in? Has anybody heard of Paradise restuarant? Would like to just tender in and walk to get a small light bite to eat. Not looking for anything too far as there are several in my group that are unable to walk any distances at all.

pinkaboo ~ you can also do a google search for the area you will be at.

I've done that many times for our ports-of-call and have found some great local spots. Many have reviews also.

Haven't been to Grand Cayman :( but you can come back and let us know what you find:)

pinkaboo, check out caymangoodtaste dot com and pick Georgetown for location. Great website with lots of info.

Now, I'm not sure what you're in to, but we stopped by Hammerheads for several beers but wished we could have eaten there as everything looked great. Walk out of the tender area and turn left, it's just a very short walk down on the left side. They have a great outdoor bar and deck with tables & umbrellas. Great views and photo ops of the ships. They are listed on the website I mentioned, just type in Hammerheads in the search area. Oh, and they have really cute koozies you can buy! If I could figure out how to attach a picture here, I'd attach some of the ones I took. Have fun!

Just wanted to add to my previous post that the tender pier I said to walk left from, is the one across the street from Margaritaville. I just read another post referring to a different pier which I've never seen before (maybe built since April?), so just wanted to clarify. Thanks!

Right in the port is...

Margaritaville

Senor Frogs

Hard Rock

Breezes (my favorite). It's in the building with "Landmark" on it and the building faces the water.

The Paradise Restaurant

A short walk and you'll find...

Hammerheads

Rackham's

http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/restaurants_results_list.asp?restaurantID=0&locationID=5&cuisineID=0&Submit=Search

The menu prices are in CD. We always ask what the bill total will be in USD, and our server will either write the total in, or some of the places have a register that will do this for you. Also, most restaurants will add on the tip prior to giving you your bill, so look for this. The first time we were there, we double-tipped and didn't realize this until we got home and looked at the bill.

We always use our credit cards as much as possible on the island, and we've never had a problem (no funny fees or exchange rates). If you do use USD, you'll most likely get CD as change.

The restaurants mentioned by others are all good, and cater to tourist tastes. Some have a few Caribbean dishes, but these are not what would be considerd "local" food. Of those already discussed, breezes has the most local flavour.

For local fare try:

Corita Copper Kettle on Edward Street (two blocks from waterfront)

Champion House II on Eastern Avenue (a short cab ride)

Bananas on Eastern Avenue (cab ride)

The restaurants mentioned by others are all good, and cater to tourist tastes. Some have a few Caribbean dishes, but these are not what would be considerd "local" food. Of those already discussed, breezes has the most local flavour.

For local fare try:

Corita Copper Kettle on Edward Street (two blocks from waterfront)

Champion House II on Eastern Avenue (a short cab ride)

Bananas on Eastern Avenue (cab ride)

Thanks, Drew. We seem to always hit the same places, but for our upcoming trip, we're branching out a bit. We'll try these places. We can't seem to stay away from Coconut Joe's. We just love that place! :)

Archived