Last minute details . . .

mcfam5

Only three days until we leave for our short pre-cruise stay in Cocoa Beach then on to the Glory on Saturday. So, I am trying to get everything in order. I am looking for advice/opinions on a few matters. . .

1. Do you take anything more (documents) than birth certifcates/passports when cruising with your kids? (i.e., vaccination records, etc.)

2. Do you take a certain amount of money, in small bills, for tipping that will be enough for your family? I have often seen $50 mentioned but, that seems low for a family.

3. We NEVER use traveler's cheques while traveling and opted to use them for this vacation. I have now being hear negatives about using them (i.e., many places not accepting them). Has anyone had that experience?

4. Lastly, we were thinking about finding something fun to do close to Cocoa Beach on Friday. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I appreciate any input!!

Jen:)

Only three days until we leave for our short pre-cruise stay in Cocoa Beach then on to the Glory on Saturday. So, I am trying to get everything in order. I am looking for advice/opinions on a few matters. . .

1. Do you take anything more (documents) than birth certifcates/passports when cruising with your kids? (i.e., vaccination records, etc.)

2. Do you take a certain amount of money, in small bills, for tipping that will be enough for your family? I have often seen $50 mentioned but, that seems low for a family.

3. We NEVER use traveler's cheques while traveling and opted to use them for this vacation. I have now being hear negatives about using them (i.e., many places not accepting them). Has anyone had that experience?

4. Lastly, we were thinking about finding something fun to do close to Cocoa Beach on Friday. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I appreciate any input!!

Jen:)

I would bring small bills for tipping at the hotel and tipping the porter at the port and various other tipping before and after your trip. Also, depending on your cruise line if you want to give a particular individual more then the standard tip.

As for traveler's cheques I've never used them when cruising and I wonder if it could be a problem on the islands. My guess however is that the ship would be able to cash them for you.

As far as things to do here are some suggestions of what I would do:

Astronaut Memorial Planetarium & Observatory

Brevard Zoo

Kennedy Space Center Visitors Complex (Actually very near the Port)

Merrit Island National Wildlife Refuge

They also have various miniture golf in the area.

Do you take anything more (documents) than birth certifcates/passports when cruising with your kids? (i.e., vaccination records, etc.)

Have fun!

I have summarized my family's health history and emailed (encrypted) it to one of my personal email account and my family's email account (mine is through a professional organization to which I belong, the other is time warner road runner). Similarly, I have all of the travel documents for the trip in a second email, and I've got a encrypted Word document with credit card info emailed to a third email. All have boring titles that have NOTHING to do with their content. But this way, no matter where I am, I can get quick access using my email accounts to important info without having to carry it along or if it is stuff I carry with, have access to it if I lose the stuff I'm bringing with.

I've also been known to email the stuff to a trusted friend (I have no trusted relatives :D ) so that in case of emergency, I can call, give her the passwords, and have her print and fax them.

Fortunately I've never needed to use any of these methods, but have friends who have needed to!

Where are you staying in Cocoa? We'll be there this weekend for a parenting conference, actually.

We went on the Glory 2 years ago. Fun!

I have been looking around at different hotels in Cocoa Beach, and haven't actually decided which we will stay in yet. I am going to make our reservation tomorrow. We have never stayed in Cocoa Beach before, so it will be a new adventure for us!

How did you like the Glory?

When we stayed at Coco Beach our kids wanted to go to the...beach. ;) :) Nothing beats playing in the sand for my kids.

Just make sure you remember to take your health insurance cards for the kids. Unfortunatly I know from experience that you *could* need them. :(

Other than that, the bc is fine.

I never carry a set amount of money for tipping...I can't plan that far ahead. So sorry I am no help in that department...lol.

Traveler's Checks I DO remember using them on one cruise. I don't remember having any problems with them. Maybe we were just lucky.

I have been looking around at different hotels in Cocoa Beach, and haven't actually decided which we will stay in yet. I am going to make our reservation tomorrow. We have never stayed in Cocoa Beach before, so it will be a new adventure for us!

How did you like the Glory?

We've stayed at the Holiday Inn Oceanfront a few times. We really like it. It's very casual, right on the beach, and has the best kid water play area!

ship.jpg

We liked the Glory. It was a tad overwhelming for me, honestly. But John was 8 months and that's a hard age to travel, I think. He wanted to crawl everywhere, but I didn't want him crawling in public places. My then 4 yo LOVED it!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived