Off POA 8-22-04

ERNLYN

Will post full review soon, Myself and one other of our party of five contracted a bacterial infection while on the trip, and are just now feeling better. I will say this, 99% of everything your read about the POA is true, and yes the employees are working the rears off. But there is no excuse for this;

Upon arriving to our rooms the beds in both rooms were not made. I have a querk that I mark the corner of the sheets to be sure thay are changed. Upon returning to the cleaned rooms I checked our sheets, THEY WERE THE SAME SHEETS THAT WERE ON THE BED THAT OTHER PEOPLE SLEPT ON, AND GOD ONLY KNOWS WHAT ELSE WAS DONE ON THEM FOR 7 DAYS BEFORE WE WERE TO SLEEP ON THEM!!!! I also ask my family in our other cabin (on the other end of the ship no less, meaning it was a different set of stewards) if they checked their markings, and sure enough the same sheets were left on the bed with pubic hairs between the sheets. My wife question the stewards of my daughter and son-in-laws room why the sheets were not changed? the two stewards, looked my wife in the eyes and assured her they were changed! My wife again stated that thay were not and how she knew because we marked the sheets on the corners...

Now folks, I can condone long lines, poor service, and less than average food... but not uncleanliness, there are posibilities of catching hepatitis, scabies, lice, ect....this was the thing that made me the most angry. When I post my full post later this week, you can bet there will be a letter to NCL'S corporate headquarters, as well as the health department. No I don't want a free cruise, a discount or a free service fee. But neither do I want hepatitis....

The conditions that you described on your POA cruise last week is totally unforgiveable.... Please tell me that you got with management and that they took care of the problems immediately....

Believe me when I say .... that would not be allowed to continue even if I had to spend the day with the Hotel Manager and up!

Please let us know what you did and who you spoke to... What was managements answer and how did they handle the rest of the cruise for you....?

Now folks, I can condone long lines, poor service, and less than average food... but not uncleanliness, there are posibilities of catching hepatitis, QUOTE]

Ernlyn.... I was just read some of your postings before your cruise.... It seems you went on this cruise to have a good time and not worry about all of the reported problems and negative reviews... I hope you had fun in Hawaii... They say it is beautiful and it is... I am sure that the cruise for you and the other pineapples on your trip was just as great as you had hoped it would be... Glad you are back safe and sound...

I'd like to know if people got sick while on the ship or after they got off? I got off on Sunday, 8/22 and flew to Los Angeles (I'm from Boston). Tuesday evening I started having a problem with my stomach and then got very ill: high fever, severe bodyaches, pounding headache, diarrhea and vomiting. Needless to say I was rushed to the hospital on Wednesday for dehydration and infection. I was given intravenous fluids and antibiotic for over six hours so I could at least get on the plane the next day and go home. I was pretty miserable till Sunday and am doing much better, but not great. I have been on two different antibiotics and am still being treated. What was the experience from your group?

Cathy

Cathy, you need to check other cruise message boards, there are others that had become sick these past 2 weeks. You should contact the CDC and ask how to proceed. My neice had contacted ecoli and was given a form to fill out of all the places, foods she had eaten and the like. Also you should send letters to the Hawaiian tourist bureau and NCL direct. Since you got off the ship Sunday and didn't become ill until Tues I'm not sure what it means.

I also had food poisoning once and followed the same hospital procedure you did- it was terrible. My food poisoning came from mushrooms I purchased at a grocery store. In any event, it would be worth it to follow up at all places you visited/ate meals, in hopes of saving someone else from contracting the same illness. Good luck & hope you feel better:)

I'm not sure if this is cruise related or not, but my wife came down with some sort of bug during our sailing. Headache, congestion, runny nose, sneezing symptoms. The ship does have hand disinfectant dispensers at the start of the buffet food lines for passenger use on the 11th deck. I recommend that passengers use them. I'ts too easy to pick up a bug on a ship with this many people. Just think of the many times your hands touch hand railings aboard the ship. Just a suggestion.

My son-in-law came down with the exact same thing when he arrived home on Monday the 23rd. And I came down with it on Wed the 25th. I finally went to the emergengy room Sat night at 10 pm and was there for 5 hours for bloodwork, and I.V. our symptoms were exactly the same as yours...

If you wish to discuss you can e-mail me at ernie_lyon@yahoo.com

Sorry to hear about your cruise---I had an awful experience as well. Please let us know if you receive a response from NCL. I've written 2 letters to Colin Veitch, Pres. of NCL--I've heard nothing at all. Did you receive the 20% off next cruise coupon? We didn't (we were on the 7/04/04 cruise).

Archived