Cruising while on Chemo....

MsSunny

We have a cruise booked this fall and now it seems that I will be in the middle of chemo treatments. Cruise is on an "off" week and doc says go if I feel like it. It would be disheartening for me to cancel after having looked forward to it for so long so I'm planning on going. Heck, if I'm going to be feeling tired, what better place to lounge around all day than on the deck of a ship!:p My main concern is the exposure to germs and viruses,etc. Obviously I won't be swimming or using the hot tubs but how clean are the public areas generally? Planning on bringing plenty of disinfectant spray and wipes. Prognosis is good, not looking for sympathy so much as input from experienced cruisers or anyone who has travelled while they or a companion were undergoing treatment.

We have a cruise booked this fall and now it seems that I will be in the middle of chemo treatments. Cruise is on an "off" week and doc says go if I feel like it. It would be disheartening for me to cancel after having looked forward to it for so long so I'm planning on going. Heck, if I'm going to be feeling tired, what better place to lounge around all day than on the deck of a ship!:p My main concern is the exposure to germs and viruses,etc. Obviously I won't be swimming or using the hot tubs but how clean are the public areas generally? Planning on bringing plenty of disinfectant spray and wipes. Prognosis is good, not looking for sympathy so much as input from experienced cruisers or anyone who has travelled while they or a companion were undergoing treatment.

May I ask which cruise line you are going on?

Sunny: Several years ago I traveled with my mom who was going thru chemo, we also went on an "off" week. She thought of canceling and I told her that she could go and even spend the entire trip in the cabin but at least she would be away from the "C" (so to speak)

She went on the trip and had a wonderful time; she has cruised with me several more times and is happy that she went.

The public areas are relatively clean, we always bring the little hand sanitizer and use that often. The cabin was always clean and the dining room was fine. If I remember she did not go into the pool but she did lounge by it and put her feet in the water. I also know that she used the bathroom in the cabin and did not feel comfortable using the public restrooms due to the volume they get.

I did notify the customer service department (my mom was not aware of that) and informed them of the situation in case something happened while she was on the ship the Dr had been forwarned. I also had a copy of her medical info and her living will, again just in case.

If you go prepared and just relax you will have a great time. I wish you well in your treatment.

Being a bit of a germ phobe - I work in the health care industry - I feel that ships are generally a clean lot. For the most part I'm impressed by how clean they are. How do people get sick then, like the drated Norwalk virus? Breaking my cardinal rules.

Don't share food or drink with anyone.... seriously it grosses me out to see strangers eat off the same plate or drink out of the same cup (and I've been witness to this numerous times).

Wash your hands often - can't be said often enough. Especially before eating.

I don't know if this will make a difference but try to stay away from the kiddies - virtual germ incubators! those kids - and the kiddie areas.

You might also want to consider bring something to settle your tummy, not sure if you will be more sensitive to the motion.

And I agree with your doc... GO! I can't think of anything more relaxing either than being on a ship sitting with my feet in the sun and a good book!:)

Thank you so much for your replies and advice. Puts my mind at ease to hear from others! :) I am so looking forward to this cruise and it gives me something pleasant to think about amid less pleasant circumstances! With this being our 1st cruise, I wasn't sure what to expect. This definitely sounds manageable. :cool:

Sunny: Absolutely go and have a wonderful time. The one thing my mom did say is that she spent her days planning the trip and reading about the ports. It certainly helped her manage it all a little bit better.

Have a wonderful first cruise and welcome to the addiction :D

while you are enjoying your ceruise, and do go, you might want to eat in the dining room meals rather than the buffet . . . some people do the darnedest things in a buffet line - most of those things aren't very sanitary.

I took my late wife on a cruise about 7 months before she passed away but I had to have a Dr's note that stated that she was OK to travel or the ship had the choice of not letting her on the ship.

Obviously they don't want anything to happen on their ship.

I'm sorry, but I would be afraid to cruise while undergoing chemo. I had chemo several years ago. I caught some sort of infection and began running a fever. My DH immediately took me to the emergency room where I was told that unless I was immediately admitted and put onto isolation, I could be dead in 24 hours! Needless to say, I let them admit me. While in isolation, for four days, no plants or fruit of any kind were allowed in my room. I would be EXTREMELY careful if you choose to go. Stay away from fresh fruit, raw vegetables, shellfish and anything else that may be suspect. Good luck with your treatment. There IS light at the end of the tunnel.

I think that if your MD has given you the OK, then he/she knows best about the type of chemo you are receiving and the risks of neutropenia (low white cells therefore little immune system).

I'm an RN and a germ-o-phob as well. LOTS of hand sanitizer. Bring lysol. Water - drink bottled water. ESPECIALLY off the boat, be VERY careful about eating things that don't come from a larger establishment and be very careful about local water an unpasteurized juices, cheese, milk, etc.

I think that going on a cruise while ill would be beneficial - even if you just hung out in your cabin. Get a little sun & fresh air. Enjoy the views & think about how great your life is and how much better it will be! Enjoy the wonderful, nutritious food.

Be prepared - take copies of medical files. Take prescribed meds for nausea (zofran). Get LOTS of rest and don't stress. Wash your hands a LOT. Stay away from people who are sniffling, sneezing, or coughing. If you are getting worried about catching something, then bring a mask. But don't let an illness ruin your good time!

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!

I think that if your MD has given you the OK, then he/she knows best about the type of chemo you are receiving and the risks of neutropenia (low white cells therefore little immune system).

I'm an RN and a germ-o-phob as well. LOTS of hand sanitizer. Bring lysol. Water - drink bottled water. ESPECIALLY off the boat, be VERY careful about eating things that don't come from a larger establishment and be very careful about local water an unpasteurized juices, cheese, milk, etc.

I think that going on a cruise while ill would be beneficial - even if you just hung out in your cabin. Get a little sun & fresh air. Enjoy the views & think about how great your life is and how much better it will be! Enjoy the wonderful, nutritious food.

Be prepared - take copies of medical files. Take prescribed meds for nausea (zofran). Get LOTS of rest and don't stress. Wash your hands a LOT. Stay away from people who are sniffling, sneezing, or coughing. If you are getting worried about catching something, then bring a mask. But don't let an illness ruin your good time!

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!

Absolutely, very well stated. why is it that all of us in the health care field are germ-0-phobs ;) I walk around with hand sanitizer.

But it is possible to go and have a wonderful time, while still being cautious and protected

Archived