Please be smart and careful when staying in downtown miami

LegalCat

As a long time Miami resident I can say that there are parts of this town where I don't go at night --- just like there are parts of Dallas, LA, Boston, Paris, London, Berlin, Rome, etc, etc, etc. where I won't go at night (and some in the daytime)

Having lived here all my adult life and traveled all over the world during that time (250,000 miles or more a year) I can tell you it is no different than any other medium to large city anywhere in the world. I get tired of people throwing rocks at Miami --- "nothing like this would happen in MY city" --- yet somehow...

Dallas/Ft. Worth MSA

Pop 5.569 million --- Murder 6.9/100,000 --- Rape 34.7/100,000

Miami/FLL MSA

Pop 5.327 million --- Murder 6.3/100,000 --- Rape 35.5/100,000

Phoenix/Scottsdale MSA

Pop 3.579 million --- Murder 9.2/100,000 --- Rape 32.5/100,000

Source FBI crime stats 2003 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_03/xl/03tbl06.xls)

Is Miami/Dallas/Phoenix safe/dangerous? Yes and No. Actually NYC does far "better' than all these places.

i had the time of my life when i lived there.:)

I wonder who's making into a bigger story, what does politics have to do with this? I was just making an obsevation. A crime is crime, it does not matter where it happened.

layoff that coolaid, too early in the morning

A good response, you have a valid point regards

i lived down there for 31/2 years and never truly considered that area "downtown." but, i see what you are saying. then again, i was also always hangin in coconut grove or south beach (the clevelander, of course) with an occasional visit to bayside when friends and family came to town.

well, downtown Miami is the business district that is between brickell area and miami beach area... bayside is located in downtown Miami...

Coconut Grove and South Beach are not considered downtown Miami, they are their own areas and are actually parts of greater Miami, but definately not downtown miami...

Here is a good resource:

http://www.gmcvb.com/visitors/downtown_miami.asp

I would have ran the SOB over with the car. Downtown Miami is fairly safe - the outskirts is another thing!

Seriously, doesn't anyone have self-defense knowledge anymore? A guy has a gun, the bullets go in one direction - straight.

Poke the guys eye out with your finger, the eye is the weakest part of the body. Punch him in the throat, grab him by the hair.

I would never give in, I'd fight to the end.

well, downtown Miami is the business district that is between brickell area and miami beach area... bayside is located in downtown Miami...

Coconut Grove and South Beach are not considered downtown Miami, they are their own areas and are actually parts of greater Miami, but definately not downtown miami...

Here is a good resource:

http://www.gmcvb.com/visitors/downtown_miami.asp

lmao. i know this. i lived there. i never considered it truly "downtown." you are misreading my posts.

it's okay, no need to reply, lol.

the issue is that cruisers stay in bayside area hotels. that's what is impt about posting the link you did.;) not whether my definition of downtown differs from yours, despite the technical definition of downtown miami.

i consider bayside a tourist attraction which, since i have moved away, has morphed into a very disappointing outdoor shopping mall.

a waste of very valuable real estate IMO.;)

i don't know if you saw my pre-edit, but if we did go to the same school, i doubt we were there together. i think you might be much younger than me.

I would have ran the SOB over with the car. Downtown Miami is fairly safe - the outskirts is another thing!

Seriously, doesn't anyone have self-defense knowledge anymore? A guy has a gun, the bullets go in one direction - straight.

Poke the guys eye out with your finger, the eye is the weakest part of the body. Punch him in the throat, grab him by the hair.

I know, my secretary and I were discussing this this morning.. would you rather be raped, unprotected I'm sure, by some disgusting animal who maybe could give you AIDS or who knows what and then who knows what, maybe be killed anyway.. or take the chance and fight back... two against one, even if he did get a bullet off.. odds of being killed versus odds of him missing or hitting you in a non fatal area, arm, leg, shoulder, etc... i mean, you dont know... I personally have been the victim of a violent crime and only I know how I reacted and how I would react again... but... he would have had to shoot me, thats all I know... that being said... who knows, they could have been coming back from Bongos and been totally wasted or who knows.. maybe they froze.. I do know that when a criminal gets you into a car, its not going any where good and he would have to kill me before Id do it... secondary crime scene is one thing... id give up my purse or my wallet or even my car in a heart beat, no doubt about it... but get ME IN the car? no way... not without clawing your eyes out first my friend, lol - nothing good usually comes out of a secondary crime scene...

That was my thought exactly when he got out the car.. RUN HIS A$$ OVER!!!!! But I understand after that happening you cant account for what goes thru a persons head unless you go thru it. but I think mine would have been RAGE..

also I agree I dont think that would have happened with 2 against one. somebody would have had to get shot whether it been us or him, and again cant speak cause i have never been thru it. but it would have been a fight most def

I agree with you to fight and that the odds of being shot dead are questionable. If someone has given YOU the upper hand by forcing you to drive you should crash the car into something solid, on their side, after making sure you have your seatbelt on, preferably at an intersection where there are people around to witness and help. Unfortunately, they were not in their car yet when he approached them. This must have been a horrible experience and I hope they find the attacker.

I hope you never ever have to find out what you would do in the same situation. When someone comes at you with a gun things tend to move in slow motion and shock and disbelief are the first emotions you feel. Rapists aren't in it for sex they are in it for power. There are no right or wrong ways to handle a rapist but often when you fight they enjoy it even more and you may or may not wind up dead and you will definately wind up more hurt. Each person in that situation has to make up their mind whether to run, fight, or just survive the ordeal. Second guessing how they get through it, only piles more shame on their shoulders.

Archived