Hotels During a Hurricane?

Like a lot of you out there I will be leaving my house for our NOS cruise on Friday. If the hurricane comes ashore around Ft. Lauderdale will we be evacuated out of the hotel? If so where do we go? Has anyone been in this situation before?

Thank you all for the help. Just sitting here crossing my fingers!

Why don't you start a Plan B today and book a reservation at a hotel more inland in case this happens. Most of the time you can cancel a hotel within 24 hours for no charge and sometimes the same day. So by Thursday your going to have a good idea if it will hit there or not. I would not wait though. there may be others trying the same thing.

I know this sounds real stupied---but---We own a motel complex in South Central Georgia and if the threat is real serious to FLA or GA we book up.

Now the stupied part---We are flying into Miami Friday PM with no plans except boarding the ship Sunday.

Do I need help? :confused:

Ira

PS

If I really screwed up please don't tell my DW :eek:

I have a reservation at the Embassy Suites on 17th St. It is a few miles away from the ocean. How far inland do you think I should go. I do not know the area very well.

Jetracing,

We have done many hurricanes on the NC coast and always went in about 40 miles if that helps.

Ira

I know this sounds real stupied---but---We own a motel complex in South Central Georgia and if the threat is real serious to FLA or GA we book up.

Now the stupied part---We are flying into Miami Friday PM with no plans except boarding the ship Sunday.

Do I need help? :confused:

Ira

PS

If I really screwed up please don't tell my DW :eek:

Ira - you always need help, but that's what makes you so likeable. And please don't tell the previous poster to find a hotel 40 miles inland from Ft. Lauderdale, or else he'll be looking in the middle of the swamp. Have a great time on your cruise.

Going inland to another hotel may be helpful, but it will depend on the storm path. If it decides to head west like Andrew did in '92, going inland won't help at all. You're going to get wet no matter where you go. I lived in Naples on the other coast at the time, and even after Andrew crossed the entire peninsula, it still hit us as a strong category 2. If the storm stays in the ocean though, going inland 7-12 miles will usually be enough to avoid the storm surge. However, you're still going to get hit with wind and rain. Good luck.

Why don't you start a Plan B today and book a reservation at a hotel more inland in case this happens. Most of the time you can cancel a hotel within 24 hours for no charge and sometimes the same day. So by Thursday your going to have a good idea if it will hit there or not. I would not wait though. there may be others trying the same thing.

An outstanding idea. The latest graphic shows it going right for Orlando yet again, but that could change. I might even consider going down even earlier then Friday if possible. I feel sorry for those of us who could potentailly lose a vacation from these storms, but I feel even more sorry for the people who live in the storms path. IMHO, our loss of a cruise doesn't compare to the loss of a home.

I can't figure out what I am going to do. I guess I will just wait and see what the weather does.

I worry more about not being home if the hurricane gets as far as Maryland. I hate the idea of my cats being there without us.

Archived