All for Formal night or not

sp29488

What would you like for Carnival to do?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like for Carnival to do?

• Keep Formal nights
    • Do away with formal nights

I am a follower of rules, a conformist at heart :o and enjoy wearing "casual resort attire " in the dining room per the dress code. But formal night.... we will be dressing up for our formal nights but honestly, if it was up to me, we'd just eat on the Lido deck. BUT, Hubby says NO WAY is he missing "lobster night" although I've tried to explain that he can get a great lobster dinner while on dry land, lol! I would never want to take formal night away from all those who enjoy it so much but I do wish there was an alternative for those who don't want to go to the trouble of dressing formally to still have the same dinner choices. I could really get into a nice lobster dinner and a bottle of wine out on the balcony.... while in my pj's! ;)

You said: "On formal nights I wish they could make one of the dining rooms "casual" and one "formal" so EVERYONE would be happy and we ALL could still enjoy the dining room food."

Maybe you should try NCL, I think thats what they do.

I've been on CC for almost six years now' date=' and the discussion of formal nights is always very heated.

I think the OP's poll was quite valid in that every week, hundreds if not thousands of new people come to CC who are honestly curious about the issue. Also, a lot of new CC members and many of us older ones aren't really that proficient in using search functions. :) Another factor is that it's interesting to see a re-polling from time to time to see if there's a trend towards a change in opinions.

Most of the people opposed to such polls seem to be those who are against formal night and don't want to see more evidence showing that they are a huge minority. They are also the ones who get the most hateful in their posting and sometimes scream that it's [i']their [/i]vacation and they can do anything they want, regardless of what the "rules" are.

With all the McDonaldization of America, a lot of people are delighted to be given a chance for a night or two to be in a situation reminiscent of the Golden Age of sailing of the 20s and 30s. They relish the elegance and respect the special quality of formal nights.

I admire those who would rather not dress up for formal night, but do anyway. They show a respect for the cruise line's and the passenger's preferences. I commend them.

And I respect those who are against formal nights and who go to the Lido deck on formal nights.

The problem seems to be the people who are uncouth enough to come to the dining room on formal nights wearing shorts, t-shirts, flip flops, tank tops, spandex, wife-beater shirts, etc. They, to me, might as well have a sign around their neck saying "I am a slob and I have absolutely no class. Pity me". :D

Honey, put the popcorn on! The new formal thread just got bumped up to the next level!

As I said' date=' I'm not going to let you get this thread pulled by responding to your little games, so give it a rest. <yawn>[/quote']

LOL, all due respect here. As an outsider, I watched you begin this entire game with Kurban..all he did was call you on it.

BORING, BORING, BORING.

The end result of this poll, as all others have been, WILL be between 70 and 80% in favor of formal nite and 20 to 30% against. Yes new people sign on all the time, but the results always comes out within those numbers.

This horse smells awful and is covered in flys.............Bury it.

Dan

To a moderator of the board:

Please remove the poll that I posted above. I was not intending for any uglyness to come from this poll. But since I've apparently offended someone, please just remove it. Thank you.

Just a FYI, as I don't mind the pole. If you want the Moderator of remove your post, just click the red triangle on your post and tell them the above.

Oh believe me he knows he did:rolleyes:

BTW smgardner I'm a she:D

I repeat: I'm not playing. But you're both beginning to get on the adults' nerves. Please go to your rooms! And don't come out until you can control yourselves and have learned to play well with others. :)

If there's a dead horse, it's the one you two are beating in your efforts to keep stirring things up and get this thread pulled. Grow up.

LOL, all due respect here. As an outsider, I watched you begin this entire game with Kurban..all he did was call you on it.

For the record, i had not communicated in any form or fashion with Kurban until she posted the following:

I may be wrong but there was only one negative poster and that poster does not want to get rid of formal night. And her post wasn't really negative I think she just came on a little strong.

So now you will post something like this to get the party started or what:confused:

I then attempted to defend and clarify my remarks as being based upon six years of CC observation and experience and from that point she escalated it.

I won't respond to any more of their childish posts. They're deliberately trying to sabotage a thread which disagrees with their viewpoint. Isn't that a particularly insidious attempt at censorship? :)

For the record' date=' i had not communicated in any form or fashion with Kurban until she posted the following:

I may be wrong but there was only one negative poster and that poster does not want to get rid of formal night. And her post wasn't really negative I think she just came on a little strong.

So now you will post something like this to get the party started or what:confused:

I then attempted to defend and clarify my remarks as being based upon six years of CC observation and experience and from that point she escalated it.

I won't respond to any more of their childish posts. They're deliberately trying to sabotage a thread which disagrees with their viewpoint. Isn't that a particularly insidious attempt at censorship? :)

Just for the record I am not against formal nights. ;)

But most people know that on here.......

Oh by the way you left out the part where you highlighted classless uncouth people.

Then told me if the flip flop fits wear it:rolleyes:

Now please keep your word and don't repond........

Later

My preference would be to eliminate formal night. I absolutely love wearing jeans, especially on vacation, and my choice would be to wear jeans for dinner every night. Eating great food while wearing jeans is absolute heaven for me, the best of both worlds. I think the dress code on cruises is part of the reason we don't typically choose a cruise vacation. I'm, though, really looking forward to this extended family cruise trip that 25 of us are going on in March to celebrate by parents' and god parents' 50th wedding anniversary. All the children and grandchildren from both families are coming plus my favorite cousin. For the cruise we are going on in March for formal nights -- because I refuse to buy new formal clothes that we'll never wear -- My husband will bring two men's business suits, I'll bring two women's business suits (I don't even own a dress), and I'll bring slacks and polo shirts for my eleven year old. Then we'll see if they let us in. If we aren't allowed in because of not having appropriate attire, we'll just eat on the Lido deck and are prepared for that just in case. I hope, though, we will get in, as I'm sure the formal dinner food will be better than the food on the Lido deck. Even so, for me, two dinners isn't worth spending big money on clothes that we'll never wear again.

I've been on CC for almost six years now' date=' and the discussion of formal nights is always very heated.

I think the OP's poll was quite valid in that every week, hundreds if not thousands of new people come to CC who are honestly curious about the issue. Also, a lot of new CC members and many of us older ones aren't really that proficient in using search functions. :) Another factor is that it's interesting to see a re-polling from time to time to see if there's a trend towards a change in opinions.

Most of the people opposed to such polls seem to be those who are against formal night and don't want to see more evidence showing that they are a huge minority. They are also the ones who get the most hateful in their posting and sometimes scream that it's [i']their [/i]vacation and they can do anything they want, regardless of what the "rules" are.

With all the McDonaldization of America, a lot of people are delighted to be given a chance for a night or two to be in a situation reminiscent of the Golden Age of sailing of the 20s and 30s. They relish the elegance and respect the special quality of formal nights.

I admire those who would rather not dress up for formal night, but do anyway. They show a respect for the cruise line's and the passenger's preferences. I commend them.

And I respect those who are against formal nights and who go to the Lido deck on formal nights.

The problem seems to be the people who are uncouth enough to come to the dining room on formal nights wearing shorts, t-shirts, flip flops, tank tops, spandex, wife-beater shirts, etc. They, to me, might as well have a sign around their neck saying "I am a slob and I have absolutely no class. Pity me". :D

Excellent post, agree with all you said.

Dan and Miguel

Just for the record I am not against formal nights. ;)

But most people know that on here.......

Oh by the way you left out the part where you highlighted classless uncouth people.

Then told me if the flip flop fits wear it:rolleyes:

Now please keep your word and don't repond........

Later

Kurban, sorry about thinking you were a he...For the record, I have been pretty supportive of formal night attire as well. My post history would support that..My point was that somebody stirred a hornets nest up and pointed a finger at you. How they can use that post to determine my stance on formal night beats me...

I am outta here.

I've been reading other posts about people getting calls from Carnival asking questions about formal night, dining times, etc. and it got me to thinking. How do most people here feel about formal nights. Should they be kept or done away with.

I love formal nights!! We don't get to dress up where I live. No where to wear those lovely gowns and Tuxes.

What do you think?

Me too. I wear scrubs to work so dressing up like that is so fun. So is the hunt for a dress and all the accessories. My DH enjoys putting on his tux and looking so great. I LOVE dressing up in nice clothes.

Archived