Cozumel Snorkeling

tnrnchick74

We are heading there on the Legend next month and are looking to do a little shore snorkeling without a tour. We have read the cozumel insider and like the info about Playa Bella Vista - it seems to have everything we want: good snorkeling from shore, equipment rental, food, drinks, lockers, good bathrooms & showers.

Has anyone been there? How's the snorkeling? How are the facilities?

What would a taxi cost? What do the equipment rentals run? We will both have our own masks & snorkels but will need fins & possibly vests.

Thanks!

We snorkeled in Cozumel last spring..and loved Chankanaab park!

Just catch a taxi at the pier.

They had everything there..and so beautiful.

We definately will go back again.

I have a few photos on WebShots including some "disposable camera" underwater shots here.:)

http://family.webshots.com/album/558391502gCXSAk?start=48

I am planning on doing some snorkeling from shore, as well, in December. Please post when you return about your experience.

I have not been to Cozumel in 20 years, and can't remember what beach I snorkeled off of, so any help on this would be fantastic.

I will definitely post a review. My fiancee and I don't want to do a tour - we just want to hop into a cab and spend some time together snorkeling. We are both really good swimmers and have some snorkeling experience. We also want some place that's kinda "one stop" - renting fins & vests (we are bringing our own masks & snorkels), food, drinks, lockers are a MUST and clean rest rooms.

IF you haven't already, please checked out this site: http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Beaches

That's the info we are going by. I have no idea how up-to-date it is, but it looks pretty extensive!

Anyone else been to this beach?? I'd love to hear your input!!!

I have a few photos on WebShots including some "disposable camera" underwater shots here.:)

It sounds nice, but we don't want to have to pay any "entrance fees"...and kinda staying away from where a majority of people are going is our goal. Thanks for sharing your photos though!

:) That is pretty much what you would have at Chankanaab park.

Because of the entrance fee..there are no crowds, however you do have the lockers, the showers, clean rest rooms, can rent fins and vests and also eat at a great restaurant.

There is quite a current, so we went to the upper end of the beach to enter the water and drifted to the bottom end.

I really wonder you will find all the amenities you want without paying an entrance fee, but gosh, if you do..we want to hear about it!:D

Happy cruising!

I went to Cozumel last April, DH and I also wanted to dive but made no plans. When we got off the ship we found a $40 trip to the Palancar Reef right at the port. It was a very fun excursion and the guide was excellent. The boat was nothing to brag about but ran fine, nothing to worry about. We actually went to a couple of reefs and he serves cold bevarages throughout, after our excursion we went back to the ship, changed and shopped right at the shops in the port. Some of the shop owners were pretty pushy so be careful. Here is the link, our guides name was Tigre. Hope this helps.

http://www.divewithmartin.com/

Geoshar, thanks so much for posting this and providing your photos link. This is exactly what we are hoping to see there in February. We've read some wonderful reports about the snorkeling at Chakanaab Park.

Great Pictures, thanks Geoshar. We've been at Chakanaab twice, and will be returning in a couple of months. We think the snorkeling is better earlier in the morning, and coming from the West Coast we find we're getting up relatively early anyway, so it works well for us. Without looking at a web site, I think it opens around 9 or 10am. Both times we've been there we found it very quiet until afternoon. Of course that's not to say it's an empty beach, so a secret place with lockers, equipement rental, and a resturant would be better.

:) Awe thanks! Glad I could add some input!

This park was exactly what we were looking for as well.

We like to "swim, rest and repeat"..and could not have found of a better place for that. Love the view from the lounge chairs!

We don't want to spend an hour or two in the water..we really don't.

(Maybe 40 years ago..but not now.):p

We also had an excellent lunch in the restaurant, then enjoyed our tour through the "Mayan ruins" and the wonderful gardens.

It was a full fun day.Well worth the price of admission.;)

My wife and I were in Cozumel Nov. 05, and spent the day at Palmar Estates Beach Club. We really enjoyed our day there. You can find more information about the club on Cozumel Insider, and they have a discount coupon for snacks available on the discount page.

This club is right across the road from Dzul Ha beach, and at that time (prior to hurricane) there was very good snorkelling. There was some current on the beach, but not excessive at all.

The day we were there, I believe there were five ships in port, and we had the place to ourselves. Very friendly staff (just one that day, it is not a big place) and everything you needed. Clean restrooms with showers, lockers, and equipment rental available although we had our own. The pool, clubhouse, and snack bar is across a small/two lane road from the beach, but we didn't find this to be problem.

Throughly enjoyed our day, and will go back again if we are ever in Cozumel.

We snorkeled at Chankanaab Park. There is an entrance fee. It was very clean, nice restrooms, beach chairs etc. There was a platform that you could swim to when snorkeling. Rentals available. We discreetly took our own beverages etc. but they had things for sale, too. We will take our children to snorkel there in November (Carnival Glory/sailing 11/17) because the site was so accomodating.

• 2 weeks later...

I HIGHLY recommend Mystic Snorkeling. Go to www.islacozumel.com and Rosie will write you back. It was the great, very professional, 3 stops with explantions, and best of all.........the boat follows you! Yoy don't have to swim back to it!!!!

Seriously, look her up and send her an email. You won't regret it.

Tell her the lady from Tenn sent you!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we are back from our trip and ended up at Sunset Beach in Coz. IT was EXACTLY what we were looking for! Nice snacks and drinks, friendly people, beach-side massages, good snorkeling, clean bathrooms, no entry fee, and equipment rentals (only needed fins). I highly recommend it. It was a $6 cab ride from the pier also

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I snorkeled at Chankanaab in 2000 and loved it so much we got scuba certified when we got back. We have been infected with the the scuba disease ever since. I hope we never find a cure. I would definitely recommend the park.

Archived