Should I break the rules?

TJL

Just been checking my tickets for Sunday and there's a slip of paper with a "kindly request" to arrive at 2.15 PM as part of a staggered check-in schedule. Never known this to happen on any previous voyage from Southampton. Does anyone actually take any notice? I prefer to get there around midday - having allowed plenty of travelling time in case there are unforeseen delays.

Well to be honest I have no idea when we're supposed to arrive. We'll get there at about noon - one o'clock and anticipate going straight through at that point.

If you don't have priority boarding then you may have to wait a while to board, but if I were you (and I recognise that I'm not) I'd rather get there early and wait than worry about being late.

Matthew

Just been checking my tickets for Sunday and there's a slip of paper with a "kindly request" to arrive at 2.15 PM as part of a staggered check-in schedule. Never known this to happen on any previous voyage from Southampton. Does anyone actually take any notice? I prefer to get there around midday - having allowed plenty of travelling time in case there are unforeseen delays.

Have you seen the posts from me about the "Gardening Theme Cruise"?

Matthew

Have you seen the posts from me about the "Gardening Theme Cruise"?

Matthew

Yes, I've read your post and I'm now VERY glad to have voted my strong disapproval. Is it just the cocktail party that will clog up the Yacht Club, or all their soirees as well? And will Alan Titchmarsh be there?:eek:

And as you rightly point out, there's the question of where will be left for me and my Dotty friends that evening!

Oh, cheers for the arrival info. I'm P1 so should in theory have priority boarding, which makes the suggested 2.15 arrival time for 2 Deck passengers seem all the more strange.

Cheers.

Tim.

Yes, I've read your post and I'm now VERY glad to have voted my strong disapproval. Is it just the cocktail party that will clog up the Yacht Club, or all their soirees as well? And will Alan Titchmarsh be there?:eek:

I've put the name of the chap who is doing it on the roll call thread - he is part of Gardners' Question Time and and goes (worryingly) by the christian name of Matthew.

It is only the "cocktail party" that is in the Yacht Club, from what I have been told. I am hoping that they'll email me the details - and the moment I have them then they will be posted here.

I gather most of the talks will be in the theatre. How they propose to stop gatecrashers I don't know - word will presumably spread (we can but try!) and then they may have problems.

The whole gardening thing leaves me cold. That's Kirsten's department!

Matthew

I've put the name of the chap who is doing it on the roll call thread - he is part of Gardners' Question Time and and goes (worryingly) by the christian name of Matthew.

It is only the "cocktail party" that is in the Yacht Club, from what I have been told. I am hoping that they'll email me the details - and the moment I have them then they will be posted here.

I gather most of the talks will be in the theatre. How they propose to stop gatecrashers I don't know - word will presumably spread (we can but try!) and then they may have problems.

The whole gardening thing leaves me cold. That's Kirsten's department!

Matthew

Yes, it doesn't do much for me.

My dear mama on the other hand.... Oh dear, she'll be gatecrashing the talks for sure!

If you don't have priority boarding then you may have to wait a while to board,

Matthew

Well I didn't have priority boarding (first time with Cunard, and Britannia Class on QM2) and turned up at 11.30 (QEII terminal Southampton) for a TA and was in my cabin at 12.15.

Well I didn't have priority boarding (first time with Cunard, and Britannia Class on QM2) and turned up at 11.30 (QEII terminal Southampton) for a TA and was in my cabin at 12.15.

Yup, that's made up my mind. Thanks, chaps. I'll be there by midday. I can always have a G+T or two in that bizarre depature lounge if necessary.:rolleyes: (That's the nearest thing I could find to a "slightly tipsy" smiley)

Which is great. I think QM2 boards a bit earlier than QE2, although I can't provide chapter and verse to this.

I'm only saying that this COULD be an effect. Not that it will be!

Matthew

We usually arrive at about Midday at most ports and have never had to wait excessively long to board, I would think you would be fine to arrive then.

Gardening, I like the idea of it, but it's just too much effort for too little reward.

Hi there

If you arrive early you wount get turned away. The staggered check in is just to try and prevent crowds of poeple turning up at the same time.

Don't worry about small things like this, just turn up and enjoy your cruise.

CF

Neither the QE2 or the QM2 qill turn you away if your there early, you will find them all happy to assit you in any way they can, i think they just play to some people telling them have priory boarding.

I went to southampton a weeks before our crossing and was told by cunard dirsct if you turn up at 11.30 12 you board early with the queues, and I can assure you we were not the first on by a long way

Neither the QE2 or the QM2 qill turn you away if your there early, you will find them all happy to assit you in any way they can, i think they just play to some people telling them have priory boarding.

I went to southampton a weeks before our crossing and was told by cunard dirsct if you turn up at 11.30 12 you board early with the queues, and I can assure you we were not the first on by a long way

I think Rob has been hitting the P--A---- again! :p

(because normally and under usual circumstances his writing is perfect)

i think they just play to some people telling them have priory boarding.

Sorry Rob but they don't. It's not vastly quicker but you do get priority of a kind. Remember I've no experience of QM2 but for the QE2 you do get a shorter queue to check in if you're either Platinum or Grill. If they haven't started boarding the ship you get given a ticket that means you're in one of the first couple of groups to be called. Once they start boarding you get a ticket that lets you board the ship immediately.

Hi there

If you arrive early you wount get turned away. CF

I would beg to differ with the various posts regarding check-in and boarding at Southampton.

Having done some 10 cruises on QE2, I can confirm that Check-In facilities at Southampton do not open their doors until 12 noon, and prior to this time there are often many passengers queuing outside. We have, in the past, arrived prior to this time at the terminal, and have always had to wait with other early passengers outside the locked doors.

Once inside, there is a 'Fast Lane' for Grill and 'Platinum' CWC passengers, and this usually provides a quick and efficient passage through the check-in procedure. Grill and Platinum guests are issued with 'Priority' Boarding Cards, so that once one has cleared check-in and proceeded to the embarkation lounge (waiting area), you will be the first group called for boarding the vessel - after those in wheelchairs with mobility difficulties.

Embarkation on QE2, has NEVER (in my experience) commenced before 2.00p.m. In fact it is often nearer 2.15 p.m. before the first group is invited to board.

However, I think that the regime on QM2 may be slightly different, as on the last (and only) time that my Wife and I have sailed on her, we checked in at 12.05, and upon arrival at the embarkation lounge, were invited to board immediately. We did not even have chance to sit down in the lounge, as we were ushered aboard immediately that we entered the lounge.

Incidentally, the departure time for both vessels was 5.00 p.m., but obviously QM2 has more passengers to embark.

I have just spoken on the telephone with a friend of mine who has done over 50 (yes FIFTY) QE2 voyages, and he also has never been able to check-in prior to 12 noon, and never embarked prior to 2.00 p.m.

So, if you arrive before 12 noon - be prepared to wait!

Regards,

David

Last time we sailed QM2 out of Southampton we checked in at about 10 am and were on by 12.

As I stated in my post, "the regime on QM2 may be slightly different", but QE2 embarkation has NEVER (in my experience) commenced before 2.00p.m.

Regards,

David

Last time we sailed QM2 out of Southampton we checked in at about 10 am and were on by 12.

We were also luckier than Dorchester. On QM2 we arrived at 11.45am, went straight into departure lounge, no time to sit down, and on board by 12.15. And on QE2 we were onboard by 1.15pm.

Mary

Sorry Rob but they don't. It's not vastly quicker but you do get priority of a kind. Remember I've no experience of QM2 but for the QE2 you do get a shorter queue to check in if you're either Platinum or Grill. If they haven't started boarding the ship you get given a ticket that means you're in one of the first couple of groups to be called. Once they start boarding you get a ticket that lets you board the ship immediately.

<hand raised> On QM2 you get a much shorter queue via the priority. It took longer to get into the actual check-in area than it did to move thru it. This was in Brooklyn, to be clear.

Int to hear how quickly we all board either QM2 or QE2. I am back on QE2 tomorrow & can check in from 12 pm & I hope to be onboard shortly after the 1pm embarkation begins. I am in a QG cabin & am Platinum CWC - that being said on last year's US & Canada Autumn Colours cruise I was Grill grade again but the main embarkation did not start until 2pm but I was onboard by about 2.25 pm so quite quick!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Int to hear how quickly we all board either QM2 or QE2. I am back on QE2 tomorrow & can check in from 12 pm & I hope to be onboard shortly after the 1pm embarkation begins. I am in a QG cabin & am Platinum CWC - that being said on last year's US & Canada Autumn Colours cruise I was Grill grade again but the main embarkation did not start until 2pm but I was onboard by about 2.25 pm so quite quick!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Tomorrow? Lucky you! Promise to share with us all your best, juicy details when you return.

Oh, are you taking a cat with you, by any chance? :p

• 2 weeks later...

Well I broke the rules and I was safe in my cabin (along with all my luggage) by around 1.15-1.30. Time for lunch in the Lido (my one and only visit) and afternoon tea in the Queens Room before lifeboat drill followed by fizz on deck and sailaway.

Going to write a review but feeling a tad tired at the mo.

Myles - lovely to meet you.

Richard - ditto.

Kindly Chap - You are a man of mystery. What's with the Mrs Mainwaringesque elusiveness........?;)

Well I broke the rules and I was safe in my cabin (along with all my luggage) by around 1.15-1.30. Time for lunch in the Lido (my one and only visit) and afternoon tea in the Queens Room before lifeboat drill followed by fizz on deck and sailaway.

Richard - ditto.

Kindly Chap - You are a man of mystery. What's with the Mrs Mainwaringesque elusiveness........?;)

So as I said then lol

break the rules on the QM2 they let on early if you turn up early?

Richard - ditto.

I managed to find both Myles and Richard! And Myles took some hunting down.....

Where abouts were you? We spent a fair amount of time loitering in our cabin, to be fair.

Matthew

I managed to find both Myles and Richard! And Myles took some hunting down.....

Where abouts were you? We spent a fair amount of time loitering in our cabin, to be fair.

Matthew

I was on 2 Deck in 2108 - nice cabin. My main haunts were the Yacht Club and the Crystal Bar. Also spent long periods around the Pavillion, swimming or just relaxing and drinking coffee - except on hot days when the area descended into Battle for the Plastic Sun Loungers.

Hope you had a good cruise. Did you enjoy that fast run from Lisbon to Cagliari? Over a thousand nautical miles and just one day at sea. Try THAT one on for size, Tardy 'Toria!

Archived