Can you believe this?

RosieR

Chris
I don't understand. I am a natural citizen. I applied at the post office that does all the leg work getting the papers to the US passport agency in South Carolina. The US passport agency gave me the number for this company to call to get a b.c. from Trenton NJ. I'm less stressed now I may even drive to Trenton to get on just to be sure. Thanks again

Hi Chris
I am working with the government passport agency. They gave me the number for a company to call to get an orig. b.c. from the state. Most of the charges are for overnight shipping, I think they are only getting about 10 dollars for this service.

[quote name='RosieR']Chris
I don't understand. I am a natural citizen. I applied at the post office that does all the leg work getting the papers to the US passport agency in South Carolina. The US passport agency gave me the number for this company to call to get a b.c. from Trenton NJ. I'm less stressed now I may even drive to Trenton to get on just to be sure. Thanks again[/QUOTE]

Good, just being safe.

Rosie,
If you were not applying for a passport would you ever know that your BC was not valid? I assume not. My point is this. If I had a BC issued in said county and was using it to go on a cruise, how would I or the cruiseline know Bc from that county were not valid?????Is this info posted anywhere?
I too applied for our passports through our local post office. I am surprised that the local post office was not aware of this counties' issue.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Imlulu
I would not have know if I didn't apply for a passport. I'm sure this thing doesn't happen very offen but if you really need to know I quess you can call the the county you were born in or call the US government passport agency. If my husband didn't push to get passports I would of went with the one I have and I probably would of been ok. I'm sure yours is fine.

[quote name='hamptod']Rosie, I was born in Jersey City as well. I have a bc from the county and I used mine last year to get a passport. When did the office close? I actually did not know that happened. There have been problems with the DMV and other agencies post 9/11. There was lots of fraud discovered and now you have to jump through a million hoops to renew drivers licenses etc. I also know there was some investigations done in JC after 9/11 in connection with what happened.

Even though I have my passport, I should check and see if my bc is still valid. I used it recently along with my passport for the points needed to renew my drivers license at the DMV. I didn't have any problems. But I will double check just in case. I hope everything works out for you.

Deborah[/QUOTE]
Rosie, I have a quick question for you. When was the first bc you referenced in your OP issued? The reason I ask, is that the one I have from Hudson county is from 8/86 and I wonder if that makes a difference, the date of issue. Now that you have me thinking about the one and only certified copy I have, if I should just go ahead and order another one from the state just for safe keeping. Eventhough I have a passport, occasionally you have to produce a bc. Any tips would be appreciated.

Deborah

Deborah The cert. copy I had sent was dated from 1970. It was on plain paper with the raised seal from the Board of Health and Vital Statistics, not like the orig. on larger paper with the state seal. If yours is the orig. and not a cert. copy you should be fine. If you are out of state you can order one from the NJ government web site. They direct you to the same agency I went through. I think its $11 service fee plus shipping and the cost of b.c. which I think is $2. I paid a total of $38. for express delivery plus another copy. Good Luck
Can I ask you a question? What year did you get your passport using that b.c.? Rose

[quote name='RosieR']Deborah The cert. copy I had sent was dated from 1970. It was on plain paper with the raised seal from the Board of Health and Vital Statistics, not like the orig. on larger paper with the state seal. If yours is the orig. and not a cert. copy you should be fine. If you are out of state you can order one from the NJ government web site. They direct you to the same agency I went through. I think its $11 service fee plus shipping and the cost of b.c. which I think is $2. I paid a total of $38. for express delivery plus another copy. Good Luck
Can I ask you a question? What year did you get your passport using that b.c.? Rose[/QUOTE]
Hi Rosie, mine is from the Bureau of Vital Statistics as well. The original was burned in a fire we had back in 1968. So mine is from the same place as yours. I got mine August 11, 1986 and I did the same procedure you tried to do through the post office. I went to a post office near where I work in Allentown, PA last February 2003 and filled out the application, gave them the certified copy from the Bureau and my passport was issued April 2003. The process took about 3 weeks total although I was told that it would take up to 6-8 weeks. I think my application was sent to the regional office in Philly. I used it to go to Europe last May and again when we cruised in June 2004 with no problems. I live in Warren County in NJ but I will go to the website you mentioned and order a new one.

Good luck to you as well and let me know how things work out for you.

Deborah

I need to make a correction. Earlier, like a dork, I posted you needed your drivers liscense. You also need a copy of your birth certificate with a raised seal... Sorry about that. I usually try to be very accurate with my info.. I knew better. A passport does offer you a wonderful peace of mind however.

Rosie, this is very interesting and has been a good discussion. I honestly think that you should get in touch with someone who deals with these types of problems professionally. Everyone here is doing their best and providing good advice, but this is a situation where expert help is required. Hopefully you can get this resolved.

Archived