Pub Crawl

Jrsygrl

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if all tours take you to same bars, but try to hit Schooner Wharf bar (on the water and live music), Irish Kevin's (fun audience participation entertainment), Hog's Breath (popular for t-shirts), Sloppy Joe's (everyone goes there), Captain Tony's (original Sloppy Joe's), Green Parrot (great bands)... if you make it to south end of Duval there is La Te Da(nice place to people watch) and Southernmost Beach Cafe/Bar (right on the beach)

I'm not sure if all tours take you to same bars, but try to hit Schooner Wharf bar (on the water and live music), Irish Kevin's (fun audience participation entertainment), Hog's Breath (popular for t-shirts), Sloppy Joe's (everyone goes there), Captain Tony's (original Sloppy Joe's), Green Parrot (great bands)... if you make it to south end of Duval there is La Te Da(nice place to people watch) and Southernmost Beach Cafe/Bar (right on the beach)

i have been to key west many times and all the bars are just down a street easy walking. you are wasting your money for tour. just go off boat and walk down street on own. plenty of bars all right there and this is easy. also you can walk bar to bar with beer bottles. :)

I think the cost is $30 and you get a t shirt and a drink at each of the 4 bars you stop at. My girlfriends husband is celebrating his 40th :p and we have a group of about 16 going. We thought this would be a fun way to kick off the cruise! But still wondering...what 4 bars does the exursion take you too?? :) I've been to Irish Kevins' before...awesome time!

• 1 month later...
so with NCL's pub crawl do you get unlimited drinks?

I can't imagine drinks would be "unlimited." I believe it is more like one drink per person per bar.

My own philosophy is that you can just waltz down Duval, buy your own excellent and fun T-shirt in Irish Kev's, Sloppy Joes, Hog's Breath, Margaritaville or almost any bar in that area and have what drink you want, as many as you want and stay as long as you want in each bar.

You can also take a side trip to the Rum Barrel on Front Street, CaptainTony's just off Duval, Green Parrot a little farther away and the Schooner Wharf Bar at the Historic Schooner Wharf area, plus you will have a water view.

Just walk around and see which saloon or bar has the happening band and scene at that moment.

For a first, brief visit to Key West this isn't a bad way to be taken to some of the places you might wander into on your own, but you probably won't do it visit after visit.

Visit after visit people generally go over to the Key West Bight and stop at Alonzo's or the Conch Republic or the Half Shell for drinks and snacks, generally half-priced or 2-4-1. Or they go to Kelly's for margueritas and wander back to Red Fish Blue Fish, Guy Harvey's, Sloppy Joes, Pepes, all of which are on, or just off, Caroline, working east to west.

Pjk

We did the pub crawl in April and had a blast. We did 5 or 6 pubs cant remember which and got a free drink at each plus a tshirt. Our guide was a lovely lady named T. She made the crawl a blast. You have time to walk the town and look around before and after the crawl. I would highly reccommend it. If I go back to Key West I will do it again.

• 3 weeks later...
We did the pub crawl in April and had a blast. We did 5 or 6 pubs cant remember which and got a free drink at each plus a tshirt. Our guide was a lovely lady named T. She made the crawl a blast. You have time to walk the town and look around before and after the crawl. I would highly reccommend it. If I go back to Key West I will do it again.

Was this a Carnival excursion? Did it include Irish Kevin's? That was my favorite pub stop in Key West. We did Key West on our own last time and had a blast. Just walked everywhere. The marina was really an interesting site to see. Duval Street is a must, if you drink. Then, of course, you must get pictures taken at the southern most point. We'll be back in March!

I have heard Irish Kevin's is a lot of fun

Irish Kevin's was a blast. I have never in my life been intoxicated at 10:00 in the morning, but... Irish Kevin's was our favorite pub stop. We were not impressed with Sloppy Joe's or Hog's Breath. We plan to hit the Lazy Gecko and Schooner's Wharf next time and skip those two. Key West is great. If you have never been there, I would probably do it on my own, so you can do things at your own pace and see exactly what you want to see. It is a small island, so you can walk almost anywhere. Have fun!!

• 2 weeks later...

Visit after visit people generally go over to the Key West Bight and stop at Alonzo's or the Conch Republic or the Half Shell for drinks and snacks, generally half-priced or 2-4-1. Or they go to Kelly's for margueritas and wander back to Red Fish Blue Fish, Guy Harvey's, Sloppy Joes, Pepes, all of which are on, or just off, Caroline, working east to west.

Pjk

Well, I guess we're doing it wrong then, because we don't generally go to any of those places listed (except Pepe's -- or other places on the Bight). ;)

From another standpoint (a local) here's my take on the big factory bars that are visited by boaties:

Sloppy Joe's....I guess you have to go here just to say you did and take a picture.

Irish Kevin's....a guy insults you from onstage, the music is aweful and you pay him.

Hog's Breath....overpriced, stale raw bar and standing on an very old reputation.

Green Parrot...I like it. An antique place with terrific music, but normally later than you all are here.

Conch Republic Seafood.....I like this too, it's enormous but good food (ask if they have Royal Red Shrimp) and good HH prices.

Kelly's....this has been beaten to death. Breaded Cisco chicken wings and 55 gallon barrel margaritas CHEAP! Wonder why? It's like buying Popov instead of Grey Goose.

Capt' Tony's...funky little place worth a visit, just to see what we get away with down here. If it's Thursday, look for Tony. He's pushing 90, used to be mayor here, a huge womanizer with 13 kids. Keep an eye on yer wife, he'll steal a kiss in a heartbeat.

Schooner Wharf Bar...my hang. Owned by a beautiful Swedish woman, this is truly the "last little piece of old Key West".

Oh Beth, I laughed when I read your post! You echo my sentiments exactly! After all these years, I believe we've had only one or two drinks in those smelly, crowded bars!! The charm of Key West for us is off Duval.

Mary

No argument from me! Most locals agree lower Duval smells of stale urine and avoid it like the plague.

Mike:)

Archived