Just got back on 10/7 on the Valor. We snorkeled this port.

kentuckychris

Snorkeled the reef at this port. Wonderful tour. Last post was removed as I mentioned the name of the tour without being asked first. We saw the boats from the cruise ship booked tours and also from the ones booked at the tender port. They were packed with people. Our private tour only had the three of us. The barrier reef was awsome. I would definately recommend snorkeling at this port. I did a complete review of this port on the member review under Carnival Valor.

Hi please tell me the name of the tour operator. We will be in Belize in December and want to snorkel with a private tour off the ship. We are a family of four. Did you get to see the sharks and rayes? Or did you just do the reef. We are also interested in spending some time on the beach. Also how much was your trip? Thank you for your time! Welcome home:)

Snorkeled 'the reef' at the port? Do you realize how ambiguous that is? In plain language it would mean you foind a spot a the port (docking area) itself, but I assume you meant somewhere else. Also there are dozens or hundreds of named reefs around, so being more specific would be a lot more useful.

Now that the question has been asked I can answer. We booked our tour through Startours. They have a web site. We were concerned at first as we had heard good things about them, but not alot recently. They required payment up front, but if the ship didn't make it into port, they would refund the money. They put you on the water taxi to Chauker Cay. There they meet you at the pier and take you on a covered boat (was glad there was a place to sit in the shade) to the barrier reef. We make 4 stops. The other tours only make 2. We saw a lot of them. The boats were packed. We fed and played with the rays. They said that because of hurricanes Dean and Felix, the nurse sharks that are usually in the area haven't returned yet. We only saw one. It was only $45 a person and included fresh fruit and bottled water. You can stay out the whole day. You tell them what time you need to be back to catch the tender, and they will make sure you are there in time.

Now that the question has been asked I can answer. We booked our tour through Startours. They have a web site. We were concerned at first as we had heard good things about them, but not alot recently. They required payment up front, but if the ship didn't make it into port, they would refund the money. They put you on the water taxi to Chauker Cay. There they meet you at the pier and take you on a covered boat (was glad there was a place to sit in the shade) to the barrier reef. We make 4 stops. The other tours only make 2. We saw a lot of them. The boats were packed. We fed and played with the rays. They said that because of hurricanes Dean and Felix, the nurse sharks that are usually in the area haven't returned yet. We only saw one. It was only $45 a person and included fresh fruit and bottled water. You can stay out the whole day. You tell them what time you need to be back to catch the tender, and they will make sure you are there in time.

Cay Caulker is a beautiful little fishing village and there are many tour vendors that can offer a tour to the reef... We had the pleasure of staying on this little slice of heaven island for 4 days while finishing up our recent purchase of a condo on Ambergris Cay......A private tour is the way to go for a more personal tour in my eyes, but for some and if first time cruisers, using the cruiseline is a better choice and stress free... but as you get seasoned in cruises and various ports of call, you will find that a local tour operator can often save you $$$ and will also be a more personable tour.

The great thing about a cruise is when you find that port of call that just feels right... you can always go back for a land based vacation there for a change of pace and get the real feeling of the island experience for a few days rather than a few hours.

Belize and its out islands are gorgeous and less touristy than other caribbean islands in my eyes.... I can only hope it remains that way for us in the future and does not become a Cozumel, Grand Caymen, St. Thomas, etc.....but according to my sources in Belize, they will NOT allow Belize to become over commercialized any time soon. The warmth and friendliness of the culture in Belize is just amazing and they will make you feel like family you can always go home to in future years and still get a smile !

Travel Angel,

Are you familiar with Li'il Alfonse - Alfonso Graniel? After doing some research on snorkeling in Belize he has come up as a tour guide for the Ambergris Caye. How far is this Caye from the port? Last time we were in Belize we used Coral Breeze to Caye Caulker and Shark Ray Alley. We would like to snorkel another area. Any suggestions of operators and areas? Thanks!:)

Archived