AOS 9/30/2007- Disappointment

Hi all! I've been a lurker for a while but I felt I had to speak up after reading this thread. I'm a born and bred PRican girl. I've got my first cruise booked for November (AOS) so I'm a cruise virgin, but I've heard lots of stories about the behavior of fellow PRicans on the ships sailing out of San Juan and, frankly, I'm appalled by the OP's (and others') experience. I must say I do not agree with the PRican poster that said that it's just our culture and we paid the same as you. Rudeness and bullying is NOT our culture. Yes, people can be loud and boisterous (most Latin cultures are) but being rude is not synonymous with being Puerto Rican. There are SOME Puerto Ricans that are very rude and obnoxious (I should know, I live here in PR and encounter them from time to time :( ) but most of us are decent, hardworking people that were taught from an early age to behave well and to be considerate of others. I think that those of you who have mentioned the last-minute rates for the "locals" may have a point. Those cheap deals are taken up by low-income families that may not have had a very good upbringing or education. Based on my experience, some of those people (especially youths), just don't know how to behave. I know plenty of well-behaved people from PR that avoid those ships like the plague and choose to sail from other ports because of other PRicans' awful behavior. I know this is not a very politically correct argument, but this is what I've seen my whole life. I should clarify that I'm not a rich snob (not even close!! :p), I come from a well-educated, working-class family.

I should mention, though, that I have encountered awful people from all over the world (as I'm sure every one of you has). In France I was repeatedly shoved aside on the Metro station by rude Parisians trying to get on the trains ahead of me. In London I witnessed drunk youths harrassing and hurling horrible insults to passersby. At the Disney parks in Orlando me and my family were subjected to xenophobic comments by some Americans sitting right beside us who evidently thought we didn't understand English just because we spoke Spanish among ourselves :rolleyes:. My point is that rude people come in every color and nationality, and it's not fair to say that a whole country is made up of rude people because "it's their culture". I've met my share of obnoxious Americans and Europeans, but I wouldn't dream of saying that Americans or Brits in general are rude and that "it's a cultural thing".

Sorry for the rambling post! :o If any of you guys will be sailing on the AOS on Nov. 25, and see 2 nice and polite PR ladies traveling by themselves (me and my mom) and looking horrified at fellow pax's rude behavior :eek: , that may be us!! :D

Very nice post but there can be and are rude people from all over the world on board ships. Anytime that you have a large group it can change the entire atmosphere on board for some guests. I have sailed on cruises from right here in the mainland and believe me there were some nasty folks on board. Unfortunately it seems that we now live in a "me" generation where people only think of themselves first and to hell with everyone else. It will only become worse. I try my best to let it roll by but sometimes I do get tired of it and will say something. Bottom line, this should not be about rude Puerto Ricans, but rude people in general.

Very nice post but there can be and are rude people from all over the world on board ships. Anytime that you have a large group it can change the entire atmosphere on board for some guests. I have sailed on cruises from right here in the mainland and believe me there were some nasty folks on board. Unfortunately it seems that we now live in a "me" generation where people only think of themselves first and to hell with everyone else. It will only become worse. I try my best to let it roll by but sometimes I do get tired of it and will say something. Bottom line, this should not be about rude Puerto Ricans, but rude people in general.

I agree with you entirely.

I've been reading all this and thought I'd add my two cents worth. We've done 5 cruises out of San Juan. We've always enjoyed our pre-cruise and post cruise stays in San Juan and we enjoyed our first 4 cruises but unfortunately as I get older I guess I'm less forgiving. We were on the AOS late November last year and it was a great ship, great ports and the people that worked on the ship were the best. I think that the ship had either 2300 or 2600 Puerto Ricans on board and after that cruise I decided I wouldn't chance it again. Its like fool me once your fault fool me twice my fault. I decided instead of taking the chance of another cruise like that there are other ports to cruise out of instead. I'm sure the AOS has plenty of cruises that are great but for us the one we took was an experience we don't want to take the chance of repeating. That was just our experience and it was only one cruise and maybe it was just bad luck.

I've been reading all this and thought I'd add my two cents worth. We've done 5 cruises out of San Juan. We've always enjoyed our pre-cruise and post cruise stays in San Juan and we enjoyed our first 4 cruises but unfortunately as I get older I guess I'm less forgiving. We were on the AOS late November last year and it was a great ship, great ports and the people that worked on the ship were the best. I think that the ship had either 2300 or 2600 Puerto Ricans on board and after that cruise I decided I wouldn't chance it again. Its like fool me once your fault fool me twice my fault. I decided instead of taking the chance of another cruise like that there are other ports to cruise out of instead. I'm sure the AOS has plenty of cruises that are great but for us the one we took was an experience we don't want to take the chance of repeating. That was just our experience and it was only one cruise and maybe it was just bad luck.

RCI may just catch on if they continuously have to fill the AOS at rock bottom rates.;)

I don't understand why people are so surprised there are alot of locals onboard......no airfare so Im sure thats a draw for them compared to paying for air to FL...........just like many people(from the USA) don't cruise out of PR because of the cost of the airfare.......

Do you think any of the Puerto Rican people get on a ship ,like the Mariner and complain that 2/3rds of the ship were from the USA???:confused:

I don't understand why people are so surprised there are alot of locals onboard......no airfare so Im sure thats a draw for them compared to paying for air to FL...........just like many people(from the USA) don't cruise out of PR because of the cost of the airfare.......

Do you think any of the Puerto Rican people get on a ship ,like the Mariner and complain that 2/3rds of the ship were from the USA???:confused:

I'm sure if there was a large group from the USA that hogged everything and bullied the other pax there would be noises made about them as well. I read about an incident on a Carnival cruise where this happened. There were fist fights...you name it.

Anytime there is a group that takes over a ship there may be trouble. Some have cruised and have had no issues. I'm sure each group is different and there are probably some that fade into the woodwork and aren't "out there". Others bring their attitudes on board and aren't afraid to intimidate other pax.

It all gets back to the cruiselines...pax have the right to know if there are large groups on their sailing and if those groups will be taking over some of the otherwise public areas.

And you are correct that people should have realized that a ship sailing out of San Juan would have a large number of Puerto Rican pax on board. Malena stated it best in her post and she oughta know..she lives there.

If you aren't into loud and boisterous AOS out of San Juan isn't for you.

Maybe its not the number maybe its because of what happened on a particular cruise. As I said four other times no problems. Maybe it was the kids taking up the photographers time getting gangster type pictures taken which they never would buy while a very pregant lady was kept waiting for a long time. Maybe it was in the dining room watching people walk in on hour late with their friends who usually didn't sit at there table expecting to be served and looking at the wait staff's faces while they were trying to figure out what to do. And my all time favorite on a trolley tour in Curacao which is Dutch and having a group talking so loud the poor girl guide asked them politely to talk softer so others that wanted to listen to her could be hear her. And then have them talking even louder to drown the poor girl out and yelling to her to learn Spanish. I don't understand why I should accept that from any other people on a cruise.

Unfortunatley,RCCL cant and wont tell you the groups that will be onboard.............I imagine there is some sort of group just about on every cruise........

By groups,I am sure you mean the Quinces(?),not groups of locals..........

Thanks to you all for the information. I am cancelling my AOS cruise tomorrow. I was really looking forward to it because of the itinerary, but after reading this thread, other threads, and many reviews which mention the same kinds of issues with sailing out of PR, I am not going to take the chance that it might be okay. Too many cruises, too little time to put up with this kind of nonsense.

My wife and I think we may give it a go, It cant be any worse than the mistake we made sailing on the Carnival Triumph, how can you guarentee a large part of the Pax will be from san juan that would make it a more positve, also does the food reflect this, so it will have flavour regards

I too was on this AOS sailing on 9/30/2007. I also sailed the Barbados itinerary on October 1, 2006. Everything that has been said is true and will not be cruising on AOS again.

I am choosing for my next cruise to go on Mariner. The cruise was just too stressful. Parents riding with their children on the elevator allowing the kids to push every button on the elevator from floors 11 to 5 with the elevator completely full and then opening unnessessarily on every floor. Unsupervisored children everywhere including the champagne bar taking up seats before dinner and therefore stopping patrons from getting a seat. When on the elevator, people were getting on while people where trying to get off...instead of simply waiting for those exiting to get off and new passengers to get on. I wish these were the only examples I could think off but its not. We truly enjoyed the ship its beautiful, the wonderful staff, and the itinerary. But I choose to cruise or try to cruise in an enjoyable atmosphere and this was not. Running into a bad experience or a rude person here and there is expected but instead it was everyday and everytime we left our cabin. And whether or not you try, it does damper your vacation and since they are so expensive and so far and few between...that I will not cruise on AOS again. ~Val

I would feel the very same and did about my liberty cruise. It was the most international mix of people I have experienced and some of them were just plain rude. The pushing to get out of the elevator, not waiting in line for a drink, sneezing without covering their mouth at the dinner table, eating and talking with their mouths open every night.

I would not let stop me from cruising on a ship/itin I want to.

I have cruised from San Juan 3 times. I really think it is the time of year we have cruised and we have enjoyed each time. We have never had any problems.

Although, I would have thought that in September, the kids would be back in School.

I would cruise again on the AOS and am thinking about it for April 08. Easter is in March and I don't think they will have a quincenara (sp?) that month. I checked a while back with a ta that lives in PR. I haven't seen her post lately but she went under the name "JOUSET".

I really don't know what RCCL can do. It's a shame because I would have thought that paying more for RCCL than the others, carnival, princess, HA, you would get a better group.

Thanks to you all for the information. I am cancelling my AOS cruise tomorrow. I was really looking forward to it because of the itinerary, but after reading this thread, other threads, and many reviews which mention the same kinds of issues with sailing out of PR, I am not going to take the chance that it might be okay. Too many cruises, too little time to put up with this kind of nonsense.

I agree with you. We were booked on the 10-12-08 AOS. People are the way that they are and I respect that. My DH and I decided that the risk of running into these types of problems was not worth it. I know that it can happen anywhere, any time, but, since we know that it appears to be an on-going issue with this particular cruise, we decided to change.

I guess their loss is my gain. We're going on FOS!!!

Deb

I was considering booking AOS for the end of Aug but reading these posts have me wondering if I should even bother. Several New Years Eve's ago I believe we were on the monarch out of P.R. it seemed to have been over run but not to the extent of what you all experienced. That was the cruise that reinforced that if we are not traveling with freinds we dine alone! We were sitting with a family of four that spoke FLUENT english & they choose to speak spanish during the entire dinner & cut us out completely. Thank goodness there was a table next to us with a family of eight that saw this & conversed with us. Those were the days when I did not know about requesting a different table. I do not want to spend our hard earned money & not enjoy ourselves there are too many cruises & lines out there to choose from.

Don't do that! We cruised in June on the AOS with no problems at all. In September we cruised on AOS with 1700 Puerto Ricans and we didn't have any problems then either with the exception of crowding on disembarkation and the pool. We have another cruise planned on AOS in February. THe ports are fabulous no matter which week you choose.

My husband is very intolerant of people and he didn't get upset with the Puerto Ricans. If you cruise when the prices are higher (i.e., not September) you shouldn't have any issues at all.

I've been on AOS twice and am sailing again next April. I have never run into any issues that were raised here on AOS. Maybe it is the time of year I cruise, but I had the most problems when I sailed out of Fort Lauderdale on the Jewel that were similar to those complaining about sailing out of PR. When adults don't supervise their children or think they are entitled, the rest of us can be miserable and that can happen on any ship.

Many of those that complain about AOS complain about people not speaking English. Doesn't bother me. If there are people on the ship from PR, they are going to speak Spanish if possible. At my table on the last cruise were a couple from Canada and a couple from PR. The husband of the Puerto Rican couple sometimes had to translate for his wife, but they were delightful. They had me salsa dancing one night up on deck.

I think that cruising out of San Juan is much less "risky" than seems to be portrayed on thise boards. JMHO.

Jen

The captain on the ship can make a difference in the behavior of the people on the ship. One of the finest captains Royal Caribbean employes has a letter sitting your bed when you enter the room that all rules must be abided by and that people who don't abide by the rules will be disembarked at the next port of call. Also there is a curfew that is enforced. There were people disembarked at the next port of call and word gets around the ship very fast when this happens. Royal Caribbean has assigned two of their finest senior captains to the Rhapsody over in Asia (I don't know why). Also another thing to look at is the cruises going out of San Juan are normally overpriced and people cannot afford the expensive airfare and they offer staterooms for deep discounts at the last minute, this is not fair to the people who paid the higher prices.

We've been out of San Juan a number of times - never had any problems.

Have there been a large # of PR... yes. But no more than the # of anglos on a cruise out of Miami.

Rudeness is all a point of view. The energy the locals add to the cruise can be an addition or a hinderance... I had tears in my eyes when on the Prominade the locals all sang some beautiful version on a song in Spanish... It was wonderful.... but I'm sure to some it may have been offensive, rude, or uncomfortable. But to them.... it was like singing their national anthem.

RC obviously does not have any trouble selling out these trips - I would suggest to those who may find themselves being in the minority (in custom/language, etc) difficult - to find another trip out of New Jersey or somewhere where you will find less ethnic differences. A different poster said it best - there are enough cruises for all tastes. For us, we will be on Serenade in December - because we love the Southern Carribbean, and when in rome... I do as the romans do... go with the flow!

We sailed on the AOS on the 9th September, we were very happy, in fact so happy we immediately came home and booked a back to back cruise for September next year. I found our South American fellow guests ok to travel with, all though there was not a lot of young teenagers or children. The South Americans really go to town on the formal nights. The food was great, the staff were great.

I've been on AOS twice and am sailing again next April. I have never run into any issues that were raised here on AOS. Maybe it is the time of year I cruise, but I had the most problems when I sailed out of Fort Lauderdale on the Jewel that were similar to those complaining about sailing out of PR. When adults don't supervise their children or think they are entitled, the rest of us can be miserable and that can happen on any ship.

Many of those that complain about AOS complain about people not speaking English. Doesn't bother me. If there are people on the ship from PR, they are going to speak Spanish if possible. At my table on the last cruise were a couple from Canada and a couple from PR. The husband of the Puerto Rican couple sometimes had to translate for his wife, but they were delightful. They had me salsa dancing one night up on deck.

I think that cruising out of San Juan is much less "risky" than seems to be portrayed on thise boards. JMHO.

Jen

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm going on the AOS in January with 25 friends and family members for my wedding in Aruba and I'm trying to not let this thread get me down.

Laura

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm going on the AOS in January with 25 friends and family members for my wedding in Aruba and I'm trying to not let this thread get me down.

Laura

Don't let it get you down. If you run into issues make the best of it and just concentrate on family and friends and have a great time!!

Archived