Upsell on Nov 23rd Jewel

Hoosier Cruise

Just wanted everyone to know that they have started phoning people regarding upsells on the November 23rd 9 day sailing of the Jewel. From an AG mini-suite (booked in March but recieved an AF room plus $200 per person price decrease previously)

- Penthouse AC for $300 more per person

- Penthouse AB for $550 more per person

- Courtyard A 3 for $550 more per person

I jumped at the A3. The total cost is below 50% of the current listed price (never mind what the price was back in March)

i'm on a quickie 3 night on the jewel on 11/15 and no call, even though so many cabins are available. for such a short cruise i wouldn't want to spend so much for an upgrade but i'm really interested in a suite!

Just wanted everyone to know that they have started phoning people regarding upsells on the November 23rd 9 day sailing of the Jewel. From an AG mini-suite (booked in March but recieved an AF room plus $200 per person price decrease previously)

- Penthouse AC for $300 more per person

- Penthouse AB for $550 more per person

- Courtyard A 3 for $550 more per person

I jumped at the A3. The total cost is below 50% of the current listed price (never mind what the price was back in March)

I would take AB instead. I just come back from my Oct 1 POH trip, and we were upsold to A3 from mini suite. Courtyard and private is nice but not that useful. For a entire 7 days trip, I only see few people use court yard and private sun deck. The biggest draw back in any A3 and A4 is that it is too close to Chimney on the ship, and it is really noisy comparing with the room in 11th floor. Besides Courtyard, all VIP services for A3 are the same as AB...

So your choice, Courtyard & private sundeck or a quieter room. I am glad seeing NCL now offers A3 and AB same up sell price..

Sean

We just took an upsell from a BC to an AC on this cruise too. Woohooo!! My only fear is that balcony right up front could be way too windy. Anyone have any experience with this??
Yes! You'll really like it up there. We got an upsell from a BA to the AC on the Star (cabin 9500), and we absolutely loved that balcony. We were out there a lot, even when underway. We found that if the wind crosses the bow diagonally (which it did up and down the Pacific coast), you can sit next to the balcony dividers and be fairly protected. We didn't care even if the wind was blowing, what a view--especially when going into the various ports. Breakfast on the huge balcony while coming into port -- Priceless! Enjoy!

I would take AB instead. I just come back from my Oct 1 POH trip, and we were upsold to A3 from mini suite. Courtyard and private is nice but not that useful. For a entire 7 days trip, I only see few people use court yard and private sun deck. The biggest draw back in any A3 and A4 is that it is too close to Chimney on the ship, and it is really noisy comparing with the room in 11th floor. Besides Courtyard, all VIP services for A3 are the same as AB...

Sean

We sailed on the Jewel in April 06 in an AA (another upsell). Totally loved the Courtyard and Private Sun Deck. You're right that not too many people used them which is exactly why we loved it. Nothing better than having lunch from Cagneys delivered by the Butler in the Courtyard. To each their own. (Having said all this though, I would have taken an AA over any of the Courtyard Suites - still have the access but a very large private balcony)

We're actually in cabin 9500 too (Jewel though, but I'm sure very similar)! Thanks for the feedback. I haven't told my husband yet. I'd love to surprise him, but I don't know that I can hold out that long :)

Charlene - great news on the upsell (didn't you just get a great upgrade too??).

You'll love suite 9500. We sailed in 9504 last April and the wind was very manageable. You can scoot closer to the divider or toward the hull of the ship and still get plenty of sun when the wind is bad - though I believe it was only 1 sea day which I would have considered having bad wind. Enjoy the very large balcony!

Hey Hoosier! It wasn't us that got the upgrade. That was someone else on the roll call. I was the one whose agent wasn't having any luck, until today. This was the third time I asked her to call. I felt bad for pestering her some much, but it paid off today :)

Oh yeah, one more question... do they really close you off from your balcony at night? My husband loves to hang out on the balcony at night after dinner, but I read somewhere that the room steward locks you out at night?!

Oh yeah, one more question... do they really close you off from your balcony at night? My husband loves to hang out on the balcony at night after dinner, but I read somewhere that the room steward locks you out at night?!

We stayed in a forward AC earlier this year on the Dawn. They do request that you keep your blinds drawn at night so that the bridge crew doesn't suffer from light pollution from the lights in your room. But you're free to turn off the lights and go outside to enjoy the stars! Enjoy!!!

I have booked an AA on the Jewel for the Dec 16 sailing and I am glad to hear you enjoyed it. Does it have a hot tub on the front deck? I have heard conflicting reports.

I seem to be the only AA booked on our sailing, and the GV's were both available. I have had this reoccuring dream that they were going to call me for an upsell, but now I see both GV are gone :( So I guess I have no chance of an upsell, but no complaints with having an AA. I love a forward balcony on a warm sailing.

So we can't call NCL and ask for an upsell...but our TA can?

Sorry...I can't keep this straight

Certainly a TA can call, but in almost all cases that won't help. The Upsell department was so overwhelmed with calls from both pax and TAs that the policy for all upsells became "don't call us; we might call you." "Pestering" a TA to get you an upsell is not usually a good idea because repeated calls to the Upsell department may result in you not getting an upsell offer even if upsells become available. It's possible that very high volume TAs might get some wiggle room, but your "average" TA will not.

beachchick

I have booked an AA on the Jewel for the Dec 16 sailing and I am glad to hear you enjoyed it. Does it have a hot tub on the front deck? I have heard conflicting reports.

I seem to be the only AA booked on our sailing, and the GV's were both available. I have had this reoccuring dream that they were going to call me for an upsell, but now I see both GV are gone :( So I guess I have no chance of an upsell, but no complaints with having an AA. I love a forward balcony on a warm sailing.

Sorry to say that there wasn't a hot tub on the front balcony. Plenty of room for a party though!

Thanks. I think the only bummer of the whole cruise will be that it is only for 5 days!
:D We took an upsell to one of the A2 Deluxe Owner's Suites on the Pearl for a 1-night dinner/dance cruise. We never even had time to figure out how to fill the hot tub or use the coffeemaker!

Suite 9500 is quite popular. At the same time we were in that cabin on the Star, a friend and her husband were in the same suite on the Pearl.

:confused: I am from the UK and we are doing a back to back cruise on the 11/16 for 14nights on the Pearl, for my husbands 60th birthday.

I have read so much about upsell and upgrades on these boards, so I rang my TA. He told me that NCL have never offered his customers the chance of upsell/upgrade and he is part of a large organisation who do a lot of business with NCL.

So it seems that this is only available to US customers which seems a little unfair as we pay a lot of money in the UK to cruise.

We are paying U$6500 for the two of us in a BC cabin.

;) So come on NCL give all your customers the chance of a bit of luxury for a little money.

:confused: I am from the UK and we are doing a back to back cruise on the 11/16 for 14nights on the Pearl, for my husbands 60th birthday.

I have read so much about upsell and upgrades on these boards, so I rang my TA. He told me that NCL have never offered his customers the chance of upsell/upgrade and he is part of a large organisation who do a lot of business with NCL.

So it seems that this is only available to US customers which seems a little unfair as we pay a lot of money in the UK to cruise.

We are paying U$6500 for the two of us in a BC cabin.

;) So come on NCL give all your customers the chance of a bit of luxury for a little money.

Hi chirssyl. We have a nice rollcall going for the 11/16 Pearl. Come see us at: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=517063

Archived